Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for an easy-to-run game to try out my new mouse!  (Read 3323 times)

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
Looking for an easy-to-run game to try out my new mouse!
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:47:03 pm »

I just bought a fancy new gaming mouse, but I have a normal laptop to use it with. This is just fine for the main game I play, TF2, but when it comes to the fancier games (skyrim, borderlands, whatever else) I get laggy mouse movement no matter what. I was wondering if there are any old (and cheap) games that I could get in which I could really have fun with the improved accuracy of a better mouse. Basically, any game that runs well, costs less than $10, is not incredibly complex (No DOTA or anything like that) would suit my ideals perfectly. I've been enjoying playing Torchlight, but I'm looking for another game.
I was considering getting Half-Life 1, but any other suggestions of RTS, FPS, or other stuff would be awesome. A single-player game would be best, but I would consider getting a multiplayer one if it seems fun and easy to get into.
EDIT: I'm also looking into Orcs Must Die! . Thoughts?
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an easy-to-run game to try out my new mouse!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:51:06 pm »

SPAZ (Space Pirates and Zombies) might be worth looking into. Loved it, fairly cheap, and an indie game to boot.

Battlefield Play4Free, while (intentionally) dated in the graphics department, is a decent FPS for the cost (free).

I'd have to look at my collection of games at home to give more suggestions, though. Nothing really comes to mind as far as needing a fancy gaming mouse.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:10:42 pm »

Elona Shooter is a free game heavily dependent on accurate clicking.

If you haven't played Half-Life 1, I'd definitely recommend playing it, although I don't know how well it'll demonstrate mouse improvements.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:16 pm »

There's Noitu Love 2, which is a pretty heavily mostly mouse-based beat-em-up, and it's really fun to boot.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:26:31 pm »

Minesweeper

I have actually mis-clicked in that game, much to my chagrin.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:32:56 pm »

Hammerfight, if you're testing the sensivity, starcraft/league of legends/dota if you're testing the clicking :P
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:47:35 pm »

I found Orcs Must Die! a bit shallow. You drop a bunch of traps and shoot what gets through, every level. It didn't hold my interest long.

I did greatly enjoy Return to Castle Wolfenstein (the sequel Wolfenstein not as much). Also, SPAZ was pretty great, if a bit low in replayability.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »

Orcs Must Die! has a demo, and if you enjoyed that I would recommend you pick it up during the upcoming steam summer sale, you'll probably be able to pick it up with all the DLC for 5$.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:01:46 pm »

I found Orcs Must Die! a bit shallow. You drop a bunch of traps and shoot what gets through, every level. It didn't hold my interest long.

It's a tower defense than is incidentally 3D. The depth is in where to put what traps. When you devise a system that make a previously unwinnable board a cakewalk, that's the pay-off. Meanwhile, the 3D side is just an extra innovation,

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 09:08:16 pm »

It's a tower defense than is incidentally 3D. The depth is in where to put what traps. When you devise a system that make a previously unwinnable board a cakewalk, that's the pay-off. Meanwhile, the 3D side is just an extra innovation,

Sure, but I played it after I played Dungeon Defenders, where you can choose to personally assist your towers or perform mid-wave upgrades, or switch characters and blah blah. I quite preferred DD's style and variety but its endgame was a failure. If I'd played OMD! in a vacuum it might have held me longer. Also... Sanctum.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:08 pm »

SWAT 3 and SWAT 4 and its expansion are 2004ish. They look good but aren't too demanding.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 09:24:09 pm »

Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty much all mouse driven if you are into space rts/empire building.  Will run on almost any pc too.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:02 pm »

Make sure you disable V-sync in all your games, might help.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 09:36:37 pm »

Shoot first can be played using the mouse, gotta change the controls though, and requires fairly accurate gunfire.

Double points, graphically it's basically an NES game. Verrrry easy to run.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:12:59 pm by Seriyu »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 10:23:15 pm »

More seriously, I suggest:

Deus Ex 1 GOTY ($10) (SF FPS)
Planescape: Torment ($10) (RPG, good writing)
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond ($10) (Hundreds of hours of campaigns plus community adventures and multiplayer servers)
Thief 1 Gold or Thief 2: Metal Age ($10 each) (FPS sneaker)
Hardwar (dunno where to get it now, it was by Bullfrog) (Space sim on Titan, trading and develop your hangars)
Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory (free) (WW2 FPS, mostly objective-based rather than territorial, class-based XP system)

Prices are from GOG.com.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: [1] 2