Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Case of the Missing Aquifer  (Read 561 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Case of the Missing Aquifer
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:32:07 pm »

So I did a 4x4 embark that had one primary biome and two other biomes that just leaked into my embark in one or two squares.  One of these secondary biomes had an aquifer.  I have looked for this aquifer.  I have dug an exploratory ditch for a dozen z-levels or so in the part of the map that was indicated.  No aquifer.

I realize I have next to zero experience with aquifers.  But where should I expect this one?  Is it possible to have a biome with an aquifer in your embark without having the aquifer?  Am I just looking in the wrong spot?  The world may never know...

...But, seriously, if you have ideas that would be cool.

Thanks.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: The Case of the Missing Aquifer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:39:42 pm »

Is it possible you have Aquifers turned off?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:25:32 pm »

Aquifer's need to be removed by going through and removing the [AQUIFER] tag from various mineral veins and layers, and can't be removed after a world is generated.

Aquifers generally aren't a positive thing, unless you have something specific in mind. They're rather tedious to dig through, and aren't particularly useful. I would be glad that the aquifer doesn't cover the entire map, as otherwise it prevents an annoying obstacle to fast digging. They do provide an easy source of underground water, but then again it's also easy to just pump it from the caverns. Personal preference, I guess.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:29:00 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112815.0

Its not the same question, but halfway down the page or so someone explains why aquifers sometimes dont show up.

I suggest digging outward from your main stairway (install countermeasures first) to find the aquifer. Check z levels -2 to -6, it should be somewhere there (from my experience with aquifers). Optionally hit the first cavern layer and see if that has aquifer blocks.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:26:48 am »

Is it possible you have Aquifers turned off?

If he had, he wouldnt have seen the aquifer on the menu in the first place.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.