Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So my garbage dump just teleported about 10 blocks south.  (Read 2110 times)

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So my garbage dump just teleported about 10 blocks south.
« on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:46 pm »

I have a garbage dump set up so that my dwarves walk into a one-tile ramped room to drop off anything I choose to dump. This is covered with a hatch, which works wonders for keeping the miasma down where it belongs. However, I just noticed that now that one-tile room is entirely empty, and all the contents of it are now 10 blocks away, a little to the southwest of where they all previously were. I'm working on constructing a small addition to the cliffside of that part of my fortress, but the 1-tile room remains unbreached and the items are still forbidden, as if they'd just teleported there.

Any idea what happened? Should I take this to Mantis?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So my garbage dump just teleported about 10 blocks south.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:54:21 pm »

I've had this happen as well, and I've heard of it happening to others. Did you deconstruct anything when it happened? In my case, deconstructing a wall randomly schlooped 600 nearby metal bars onto a one tile wide area.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »

In fact I did, I had removed a wall that I could build some scaffolding stairs to roof the top of the extension off. My dwarves are now hard at work hauling everything back, but that's a very strange glitch indeed...

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:06:41 pm »

Same here, except a deconstructed floor instead of a wall.  I'm guessing it is related to the new code that brings the building material -- and anything else on the constructed tile -- to the deconstructor's tile instead of having it fall in place.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:55:01 pm »

yup, known bug
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 07:19:43 pm »

I just realized, this can be used to quantum dump items from your workshop!

1] Build a wall adjacent to where you want the stuff to be quantum-stacked, preferably with other obstacles to prevent the wall deconstructor from standing anywhere else.
2] Make, dump or haul all the items you want within 8 tiles of that (in a square), so 17 tiles a side, with the target tile in the center
3] When you are ready, deconstruct the wall and everything loose withing 8 tiles of the worker's tile will be moved to the tile the worker is standing on.

I'm not sure, but it may pull bins as well.  I've only had it happen above ground, so it was part of my refuse pile that got translated.  I also don't think it affects items still in a workshop, but I'm not positive on that.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:19:58 pm »

I just realized that we might be able to exploit this bug to retrieve items from a zombie death pit without having to open it - just teleport the items out instead.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »

I don't think they translate over different z-levels, but walls definitely don't prevent it, so it wshould work.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 11:37:24 pm »

Minecart tracks are doing this to me too, but it was piles magically vaporizing the contents (or a very sneaky teleport).
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 11:42:19 pm »

I had a large pile of bodies sitting in a room where I intended to use it as a zombie chamber to release on the goblins. For some unknown reason all the bodies teleported to the southeast (I had a dump set 1 z above so the dwarves would throw the corpses down a hatch) and outside of the room. They then collected the bodies and put it in refuse. Odd...

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 05:41:25 am »

I just realized, this can be used to quantum dump items from your workshop!

1] Build a wall adjacent to where you want the stuff to be quantum-stacked, preferably with other obstacles to prevent the wall deconstructor from standing anywhere else.
2] Make, dump or haul all the items you want within 8 tiles of that (in a square), so 17 tiles a side, with the target tile in the center
3] When you are ready, deconstruct the wall and everything loose withing 8 tiles of the worker's tile will be moved to the tile the worker is standing on.

I'm not sure, but it may pull bins as well.  I've only had it happen above ground, so it was part of my refuse pile that got translated.  I also don't think it affects items still in a workshop, but I'm not positive on that.
New science? Does it exactly work as this? Does it ALWAYS teleport ALL items within EIGHT tiles?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 06:14:51 am »

When a dwarf removes a construction, it's supposed to take the items from that tile and move them to wherever the dwarf is standing so that they don't fall down and hit somebody on the head (possibly that same dwarf, if he was removing a construction from below). The bug is that Toady forgot to add the part where it checks the item coordinates, so it does this to every item in the 16x16 map block. It has nothing to do with the distance from the construction tile, just the grid cell in which the construction was located.

Incidentally, angavrilov (one of the DFHack developers) wrote a pair of binary patches to fix this problem on both Windows and Linux.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:05:06 am »

Are those patches intended to be applied using the Interactive Disassembler referenced?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:29 am »

That, or using a hex-editor.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:33 am »

Thanks.  I'll have to look into that IDA.  I've done hex patching on other things, but will be my first whack for DF.  Backup and try it!!
Pages: [1] 2