Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military  (Read 1052 times)

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:36:09 pm »

Alright this is mostlikely going to be my first attack happening ( soon ) and i need to make a military to fend off the attack
Now i have no idea how to do this ( Creation yes equiping yes tasks yes ) but i cant seem to get them to train. Please help

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:41:20 pm »

YOu sir are in luck i just found this cornucopia of information. However i have not yet begun to attempt to understand this information

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Military

Please if you figure out how to equip dwarves in teh same squad with different weapons tell me.

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:48:03 pm »

YOu sir are in luck i just found this cornucopia of information. However i have not yet begun to attempt to understand this information

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Military

Please if you figure out how to equip dwarves in teh same squad with different weapons tell me.
Go over to the right column take off their individual choices then hit "W" and choose which TYPE of weapon you want them to use

That my good sir i do know how to do.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »

Thanks, i havn't begun to mess with military yet but i'm starting to feel really good with burrows, barrels and stockpiles.

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:02:02 pm »

The wiki should help but once you get it figured out, its easy to remember.

Build a bed, armor stand, or weapon rack.
 Assign it as a barracks, then to the squad you want to train. (hit ZTIQ with the bed/stand & correct squad highlighted)
Hit m for the military screen, then S for schedules. Hit E to edit the orders, then change the minimum training amount to be equal or less than the amount of troops in the squad.

Once you had set the amount, you can hit C to copy, then hit P and paste it for every month of the year you want them training. You can hit cancel to insert months where they do nothing (ie breaks).
You can decide how you space their schedule, some people train for 2, then  1 off. Others train non stop, yet others give them equal breaks to time spent training.

IF you have archers/marksmen, you need to do 1 more step. Build some archery targets, set the direction for firing and make sure there are no obstructions between the targets and where the dwarves will be standing to shoot at them. Select each target, highlight the correct squad, and hit T to make that squad train at the target.

And that's it.

If successfull you should notice your troops heading immediately into the barracks, or atleast some of them. Usually they wont all train 100% of the time , they will take breaks, eat, sleep etc.

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 06:40:54 pm »

The wiki should help but once you get it figured out, its easy to remember.

Build a bed, armor stand, or weapon rack.
 Assign it as a barracks, then to the squad you want to train. (hit ZTIQ with the bed/stand & correct squad highlighted)
Hit m for the military screen, then S for schedules. Hit E to edit the orders, then change the minimum training amount to be equal or less than the amount of troops in the squad.

Once you had set the amount, you can hit C to copy, then hit P and paste it for every month of the year you want them training. You can hit cancel to insert months where they do nothing (ie breaks).
You can decide how you space their schedule, some people train for 2, then  1 off. Others train non stop, yet others give them equal breaks to time spent training.

IF you have archers/marksmen, you need to do 1 more step. Build some archery targets, set the direction for firing and make sure there are no obstructions between the targets and where the dwarves will be standing to shoot at them. Select each target, highlight the correct squad, and hit T to make that squad train at the target.

And that's it.

If successfull you should notice your troops heading immediately into the barracks, or atleast some of them. Usually they wont all train 100% of the time , they will take breaks, eat, sleep etc.
Thanks man

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 06:55:53 pm »

consider using some traps in the beginning untill your military gets up to strength
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 07:41:19 pm »

consider using some traps in the beginning untill your military gets up to strength

I always do atleast a 3x3 of cage traps at my entrance