Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I have a problem in my river....  (Read 1707 times)

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I have a problem in my river....
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:09:05 pm »

I just started a new game and there are two sea Lamprey floating around in it. And one of them killed my fisher. I'm not sure how you get killed by a sea Lamprey of all things, in any case I was wondering if there's some sort of trap to put in the water, something to prevent this in the future.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I have a problem in my river....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:10:39 pm »

Marksdwarves and ammo. Let them harpoon the things with their bolts.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:52:47 pm »

I just started a new game and there are two sea Lamprey floating around in it. And one of them killed my fisher. I'm not sure how you get killed by a sea Lamprey of all things, in any case I was wondering if there's some sort of trap to put in the water, something to prevent this in the future.
Well, considering some of these pictures its not too surprising your dwarf was killed.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:23:35 pm »

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:30:17 pm »

So do I just build a harpoon wielding squad and order them to kill the beast, just like you would with a land creature? The creature itself though is in the river, which is 1 z level below land, could they hit the creature from there?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 06:38:42 pm »

So do I just build a harpoon wielding squad and order them to kill the beast, just like you would with a land creature? The creature itself though is in the river, which is 1 z level below land, could they hit the creature from there?
Oh yeah. Hurts range though. In my fort, I had the unexpected boon of defenders shooting down siegers while they stood futiley one z-level above. Actually, in retrospect, I'm brilliant. The traps, fortifications, and incline forces invaders to go circularly around marksdwarves while unable to get at them.

Make sure they dont walk up and try to bash it with their crossbows.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 06:54:59 pm »

Oh yeah. Hurts range though. In my fort, I had the unexpected boon of defenders shooting down siegers while they stood futiley one z-level above. Actually, in retrospect, I'm brilliant. The traps, fortifications, and incline forces invaders to go circularly around marksdwarves while unable to get at them.

Make sure they dont walk up and try to bash it with their crossbows.
How do I make sure they don't use their crossbows for melee? Also, harpoons are basically crossbow ammo right?
EDIT: ignore that, silly me, you meant bolts, not actual harpoons
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:59:39 pm by Bluehotdog5 »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 07:01:18 pm »

Put an ammo stockpile where they have to run past it to get to their intended bashing victims, but where they cannot actually see the victim, and they should restock ammo then go back to their assigned firing position.

At least, if I've understood others posts about this.  I've been neglecting my crossbow training skills due to the fun with spear dwarves. ;)
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:06:28 pm »

Station them near the river. If something hostile near them, they attack. SOOO, to use this,  position them near the deadly fish, but not on the river. They'll start shooting as long as they have ammo. Yes, I think by harpoon, they mean crossbow bolt, unless you be modding.

Note: you can use this strategy to "live-train" your marksdwarves, which I believe is four times faster or so. 17/60 i think. Throw something in a pit. Station them near. Have fun!

Note: This doen't work unless the dwarves register the creature as hostile, not the other way around. So if you throw a elf merchant in a pit, that wont automatically attack, but they will if you directly tell them too. Even if they attacked the merchant earlier that day, since they're not scared of him, they wont attack.  Since Dwarves hate animals, you should be good for operation FISH.

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:22:58 pm »

I restarted my game, and this time I gave my fisher dwarf some cross bow skills. Right now he's the militia commander and the only member in his squad (just started, so the large fish are the only thing I need it for atm) I have him equipped with a crossbow, but he hasn't picked up his ammo yet. If I go to the squad menu and select the monster to be attacked, he just mills about and it says the target is out of range or something. It's a fish, so it's constantly swimming up and down, it's always out of range. Plus, it's on a lower z-level, so that doen't help.

Right now he's fishing, if he sees the creature, will he automatically grab some ammo and kill it? or is there another way of doing it?

Oh, and when you say station, do you mean squad menu, then m?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:24:49 pm by Bluehotdog5 »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:56:53 pm »

I'm sorry, but I may have confused you. Assign crossbow/fisher to a squad. Yes, as a matter of fact, (and keep in mind, this only works in certain circumstances) off-duty marksdwarves will shoot things, but only if they feel they are in no danger. As long as your dwarves are ordered to stay in uniform at all rimes, which is the default, They already have ammo, if there is any to be had. and yes, by station, i mean  [m]ove.

Okay, have you assigned ammo? do you have ammo? if hes stationed, he will wait to attack, until something is in range. Kill orders will not work, since he cant path to it.

Finally, reloading takes some time, give him some.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:48:09 pm »

Make sure he has a quiver with which to hold his bolts, or will have at most one shot, and most likely not even that.

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 10:52:15 pm »

I'm sorry, but I may have confused you. Assign crossbow/fisher to a squad. Yes, as a matter of fact, (and keep in mind, this only works in certain circumstances) off-duty marksdwarves will shoot things, but only if they feel they are in no danger. As long as your dwarves are ordered to stay in uniform at all rimes, which is the default, They already have ammo, if there is any to be had. and yes, by station, i mean  [m]ove.

Okay, have you assigned ammo? do you have ammo? if hes stationed, he will wait to attack, until something is in range. Kill orders will not work, since he cant path to it.

Finally, reloading takes some time, give him some.
Ok, I got it figured out. He picked up ammo and manned his station. However, the creature seems to swam off. Oh well, at least I'll be prepared if/when it returns. Thanks for the help guys :D