Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick help with civ 4: BTS  (Read 711 times)

greatorder

Quick help with civ 4: BTS
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:22:09 am »

I've been trying to get a mod to work on civ 4: BTS and to get it to work, I need to either disable UAC (user account control) or run it as an administrator.

I don't want to keep UAC off, but on both the shortcut and the game's location, it won't actually let me run as administrator (lacks the 'run as administrator button' and also lacks the properties button). The shortcut has 'properties' when I right-click it, but lacks the 'always run as administrator', and on the right click menu, lacks the 'run as administrator' button, too.

I can run as administrator with other program shortcuts (e.g. medieval II: total war), but Civ 4: BTS seems to be lacking this, and appears to be the only program lacking it. Google comes up with nothing relevant to what I search, and so appears to be useless.

and yes, a reinstall is out of the question, because I can't find the disc any more.

civ 4 without the expansions also lacks the ability to run as an administrator, I just found out.

any help/explanations?

EDIT: advanced properties has 'run as administrator', but it's greyed out, and can't be switched.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:32:47 am by greatorder »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Quick help with civ 4: BTS
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:03:15 am »

Why don't you want to disable UAC? It seems to clear up quite a few problems in recent Windows.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:09:57 am »

Why don't you want to disable UAC? It seems to clear up quite a few problems in recent Windows.

This. Honestly, disabling UAC isn't a big deal, and you can always just do it for the gaming session.

Other than that, I have no clue.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:50:55 am »

There's a sort of "take control" or "take ownership" option for Windows 7 out there. It pretty much clears out the need for permissions and I think you can batch whole folders with it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:07:48 pm »

There's a Vista version.