Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What does it mean when the equipment is red?  (Read 4203 times)

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What does it mean when the equipment is red?
« on: July 04, 2012, 08:15:58 am »

So I just survived my first siege, (but then again it was 5 goblins vs 100 dwarves, so it's not like the odds were stacked against me) and half of my dwarves are depressed and throwing tantrums.
Anyway, I was trying to equip my militia and I some of the equipment comes out red. For example I just forged some Iron Gauntlets and Iron Hight Boots, and when I select my militia commander, they come up red, why is that? is it already owned or something?

Oh also, I've already lost around 5 or so babies to goblin snatchers, is there a better way to defend from them? Thieves are pretty annoying as well

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: What does it mean when the equipment is red?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:03:44 am »

I believe red items belong to a trading caravan that is still in your fortress. If you want to stop thieves, you need animals parked right at the entrance to your fort.  Thieves/snatchers will get spotted by animals/dorves but they will walk right over all your traps if they are not detected.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:18:39 am »

Red items belong to foreigners. Invaders, merchants, guards e.t.c.

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:24:36 am »

I believe red items belong to a trading caravan that is still in your fortress. If you want to stop thieves, you need animals parked right at the entrance to your fort.  Thieves/snatchers will get spotted by animals/dorves but they will walk right over all your traps if they are not detected.
I had two wardogs, but they were both killed by the goblins. I do have an animal area right next to the entrance that I assign all the animals to, that way I don't have bulls and cows wandering around in the cave. I noticed that the traders are all still here, but they aren't trading, so I'm not sure why they haven't left yet.

My whole fortress is pretty much a mess right now. The outside has blood and body parts everywhere. Every 5 seconds someone will throw a tantrum. One dwarf went Berzerk and killed like 5 other dwarves. I couldn't figure out how to arrest the guy, since I have yet to elect a Captain of the Guard. I'm not sure if he got killed or calmed down. I have somewhere between 20 and 30 dead dwarves to memorialize before they come back from the dead and cause even more chaos.

I should probably start actually using Dwarf Therapist at this point. Untill now I've just been enabling labor's the old fashioned way, occasionally opening DT to check how happy everyone is. Now half of my dwarves are either miserable or ecstatic.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 11:46:50 am »

Welcome to Tantrum Spirals!

Alright, well, first things first -

Thieves and Snatchers are a rather annoying bunch. If your Dwarves are working outside, there is little to no stopping a Goblin Snatcher from running up to a parent and snatching the baby from their arms. Children may also be snatched as well if a Goblin Snatcher can get to them. However, assuming you can create a checkpoint that all Goblins or Kobolds would have to run though, you can set up animals (or Dwarves - preferably ones without babies or Children if so) to be stationed in an area. If stuff runs next to them they will reveal the enemy.

A Second form of defense you might use is to simply turn your checkpoint into a gate or bridge or something; that with a flick of a lever can be closed. Then when some thief wanders in and reveals himself, you can shut the gate to trap him in. Once trapped it is just a matter of sending troops out to deal with him.

The Caravan will eventually leave, assuming they can (if they can't path out of your Fortress to the edge of the map then they can't leave).

Insane Dwarves don't calm down - Your Berserk Dwarf must have met one of two ends: He died, or he killed off your entire fort. I assume the former happened in your case.

Note as well that for Berserk Dwarves, there is only one thing your Captain of the Guard could do to such a Dwarf - execute the kill order you gave on said Dwarf. May also be executed by any Military Dwarf as well.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:12:57 pm »

How do I order him to kill someone? I was trying to figure that out while he was on a killing spree.

Would building a moat around the area with a drawbridge help deter thieves/snatchers? If I do build a moat, is that essentially where I dig out a channel, then fill it with water or something? If I do that will the traders even be able to enter?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 12:28:54 pm »

1. (s)quads, (select your squad) (o)rders (k)ill
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes, and if there's a 3 tile wide path into your fortress over the moat caravans'll also be able to enter

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 01:20:37 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 01:26:29 pm »

3. No
Care to elaborate?
You don't need to fill your ditch with anything, and it can literally just be a channel that has its ramps removed.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 02:28:52 pm »

survived
[...]
half of my dwarves are depressed and throwing tantrums.
:-\ ;D
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 02:49:17 pm »

Well thanks for the help guy's. Another vile force of !fun! arrived, and I'm pretty much screwed at this point. There are about 104 of them and 65 of us left. Are there any ways to hide until the siege is over? or will they just stick around until they can get you.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 03:13:48 pm »

If they can't get you, they leave after they get bored. You can "wall in", that is, use a raided bridge, a wall, a door, a floor hatch or something similar to keep them away from your dwarves.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 03:22:15 pm »

If they can't get you, they leave after they get bored. You can "wall in", that is, use a raided bridge, a wall, a door, a floor hatch or something similar to keep them away from your dwarves.
Evidently they left much to my surprise. I have about 11 dwarves left. Unfortunately however, thinking I was going to lose I actually flooded my fort lol. Most of my dwarves are trapped down there, and I sealed the hatch. On the surface I have 1 miner dwarf and two injured ones.

Is it possible to order my miner to kill the two injured dwarves? I tried using the attack command from the Squad menu, but that didn't work. I have the miner set as the only member in his own squad.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 03:26:10 pm »

I think thats not possible. And why would you want to do this? It most likely would trigger a loyalty cascade on top of your forts demise.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 03:28:27 pm »

Evidently they left much to my surprise. I have about 11 dwarves left. Unfortunately however, thinking I was going to lose I actually flooded my fort lol. Most of my dwarves are trapped down there, and I sealed the hatch. On the surface I have 1 miner dwarf and two injured ones.

Is it possible to order my miner to kill the two injured dwarves? I tried using the attack command from the Squad menu, but that didn't work. I have the miner set as the only member in his own squad.

Not really, he can't kill other citizens of his group.
Pages: [1] 2