Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506536 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4380 on: October 10, 2016, 04:09:36 pm »

If a nanomachine swarm was released into your brain that replaced each and every individual neuron only as they died of age and cancer, causing no conscious effect on you and taking place gradually over a decade, is that you at the end?
Buddhism is useful here

Just as there is no one component in a chariot is the chariot, it is the sum total of the chariot's parts that make up the chariot, no one instance of you in time is wholly you. The holistic 'you' is the sum of all that you were in every instance of time

Ye, I knew of this already, and its friendly to the modern argument that the real you is just the pattern of connections in your brain, and since the pattern is constantly changing, one could argue that you actualy really aren't the same person you were a year ago. You are a new being born from the old one using the same body.

However, there's still a caveat with the buddhist argument. If you (slowly or not) exchange the entirety of chariot's parts for new ones, is it still the same chariot? Is it not a new chariot that just slowly phased out and got replaced by a new chariot? In the same vein, would slowly replacing your brain with technologically superior components that maintain the old pattern actualy preserve you? Or would it just be a really slow way to kill you and replace you with an identical copy of you?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4381 on: October 10, 2016, 04:21:03 pm »

Well if you think about it we already face that, as no one cell in our body remains with us from conception to death; every few years there will not be a single cell in your body that was alive when you first took breath, your heart first beat or your brain first processed information

*EDIT
It may be that some nerves are particularly old and may stick with you from birth to death
Otherwise you replaced yourself in all other aspects

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4382 on: October 10, 2016, 09:23:40 pm »

"You" don't physically exist. You are emergent from the reactions and connections of many cells in a bone shell.

The chariot is a bad example; the chariot is almost as physical as its components. Minds are not. If I copy a program to another computer, is it the same program?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4383 on: October 10, 2016, 09:35:59 pm »

>:v I dont care that my AI clone lives forever, I care that I live forever. Hook me up on some weird brain cell renewing treatment, exchange my whole body (except for key parts of the brain) for a technocopy and call me TempAccyborg the eternal hair fetishist.

Though I guess I'd be ok with having multiple copies of me handling different aspects of my life, maybe with their own synthetic bodies so I can have a big autosexual orgy my own MOBA team made entirely of ME.

This.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: October 10, 2016, 09:38:17 pm »

My children will kill the transhumanists.
We are a growing cause and while we see tech as a tool, it should remain just this.

Death is a gift my children.. accept it with love and reverance.
The immortals are a curse and we will live to ensure their post death deaths.

I await the statement that what I say is illegal.. we dont care, no rules that man makes truly matter.
Transhumanisim is antithesis to life and chaos.

You will see us protesting in the future while robotic 'officers' murder us.
The USA is already legaly a warzone and drones and warmachines are allowed to walk the streets and police you.
Police state, police nation.
Take my hand and draw a sword.
Those who fear death will fear us
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4385 on: October 10, 2016, 10:09:43 pm »

We should write a book

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: October 10, 2016, 11:12:22 pm »

Using Neural Networks to simulate the recently deceased, and aid in the grieving process

The story was a pretty moving one, if you've the time and interest. Some friends of the deceased in that article mentioned how they'd never been able to ask him for advice before he died, but the advice was something he'd say. Others said the process was like sending a message-in-a-bottle to the deceased... the replies felt strange sometimes, but it was a way of helping them say some of the things they never got to say, and all that.

I have complicated feelings about this, but what a weird and interesting application of the technology.

I had seen a similar story recently, though much shorter and less of a large project. I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of project is either somewhat widespread already or soon will be.

Also, here's a good article summarizing recent work on neural nets for making art and similar things: https://medium.com/@kcimc/a-return-to-machine-learning-2de3728558eb#.ef1qfb1mh
Both the author of that and Alex Champandard are worth following on twitter if it interests you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: October 11, 2016, 12:13:27 am »

My children will kill the transhumanists.
We are a growing cause and while we see tech as a tool, it should remain just this.

Death is a gift my children.. accept it with love and reverance.
The immortals are a curse and we will live to ensure their post death deaths.

I await the statement that what I say is illegal.. we dont care, no rules that man makes truly matter.
Transhumanisim is antithesis to life and chaos.

You will see us protesting in the future while robotic 'officers' murder us.
The USA is already legaly a warzone and drones and warmachines are allowed to walk the streets and police you.
Police state, police nation.
Take my hand and draw a sword.
Those who fear death will fear us
hey guys look, an edgy death cultist

cool, never seen that before
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: October 11, 2016, 12:16:30 am »

I think humans should mind their damn business and die out if they want to, no reason to force other people to do so. I'm probably going to reject immortality and die normally, but I won't give people shit for it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:21:04 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: October 11, 2016, 12:50:14 am »

Descan I am not a death cultists.
I see the truth in nature.
You forfiting your cells is forfiting freedom and the choice of dying. But sure become a robotic slave to google
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: October 11, 2016, 01:06:08 am »

... no, you're totally describing a death cult, with a side of murder. A fairly hypocritical one when it talks about freedom and then how it'll take said freedom from others because they choose to do something different with it, too.

Nothing about technological immortality that takes away the choice of dying, anyway. It actually gives you a choice, really, instead of forcing you to be a slave to fickle biology and have no options but what that capricious bastard gives you. Forfeiting your cells would be casting off the chains forced on you at birth. Others may take their place but there's no virtue in submission to a master just because it got their first.

Try again, in other words. Your construction is an unsightly mess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: October 11, 2016, 01:27:26 am »

yeah pretty sure "death is a gift" is like, the epitome of culty behaviour. "gonna indoctrinate my children!" "we're gonna kill yew!" "the government is out to get us, they're gonna kill us all and declare us illegal, that's why we gotta kill them first" that's all pretty much textbook culty-cult behaviour

you go ahead and die (i'd rather you didn't, but i'll let you make that choice) and i'll go ahead and live for a couple eons. no need to force the other person to do something they don't want to do.

"choice of dying" yeah frumple covered that. i do like how you got the big brother vibe going on too. "freedom is slavery" "choice is death" and all that.

0/10 not that great of a troll
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: October 11, 2016, 01:31:33 am »

Look, the point is that after the transhumanist revolution we can just round up all the naturals and keep them imprisoned safe in giant butterfly jars geodesic domes while we convert the rest of the solar system into computing mass.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: October 11, 2016, 01:31:44 am »

Also if you forfeit your cells you': be technically dead, there's just a robot that act like you.

So you can have the best of both worlds and be both dead and immortal.

There's no need to be Amish, catmeat.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: October 11, 2016, 01:33:37 am »

that's why you don't forfeit them all at once. if you do it a little bit at a time it'll still be you but shiny and chrome. you will live forever in valhalla.

... wait.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 339