Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506611 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4335 on: September 29, 2016, 06:08:58 pm »

They kind of can. There are resistance mechanisms that are only expressed in the presence of the relevant antiobiotic.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: September 29, 2016, 07:37:09 pm »

That's generally for stuff targeting specific proteins or enzymes which can wind up working on another type under certain conditions, as I recall. Could be wrong, I only have a passing familiarity with the field so I'm mostly drawing on the chemistry and biology I know to fill in gaps. Weird molecular biochemistry stuff that may have been discovered in the last 5 or 6 years could quite possibly explain that too, shit like that happens now and then.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: September 29, 2016, 07:56:46 pm »

I had to use the bathroom at the time and didn't feel like taking the time to search for a less clickbaiting link.

Gimme a sec

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/superbugs/7844048
http://inhabitat.com/student-discovers-a-way-to-destroy-superbug-bacteria-without-antibiotics/
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/beyond-antibiotics-starshaped-protein-kills-feared-superbugs-20160912-grehpx.html

there you go :P

https://www.ted.com/talks/bonnie_bassler_on_how_bacteria_communicate
Another bit of interesting research is into how bacteria communicate with each other. Some researchers found two chemicals emitted from each bacteria - one is strain-specific, the other is universal to all bacteria. They use one to say how many of the compadres are nearby and the other to estimate the total number of all bacteria. The bacteria stay inert until they have the numbers then simultaneously launch the attack on the immune system. This opens up several options - either false intel or jamming up the receptors.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:33:40 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: September 29, 2016, 08:06:01 pm »

Do I hear "hijacking bacteria as erstaz nanomachines"?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: September 29, 2016, 08:25:33 pm »

SMALLDEVICES, CHILD
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: September 29, 2016, 08:27:52 pm »

ATOMICSCALETOOLS, PROGENY

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4341 on: September 29, 2016, 08:30:45 pm »

If we could do that, why be covert? Just kill the bacteria
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: September 29, 2016, 08:34:23 pm »

"Just Kill the bacteria" is what lead to the current ineffectiveness of antibiotics.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: September 29, 2016, 08:40:20 pm »

I thought "just kill some but not all of the bacteria" was the main cause. Folks not taking their full prescriptions, stuff like that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: September 29, 2016, 08:51:21 pm »

If we could do that, why be covert? Just kill the bacteria
Why kill the bacteria if you can instead wololo the little shits? The only thing better than a dead enemy is a living ally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: September 29, 2016, 08:53:30 pm »

I thought "just kill some but not all of the bacteria" was the main cause. Folks not taking their full prescriptions, stuff like that.
It massively accelerates the process by turning people into breeders for resistant bacteria, but those resistant strains already existed to begin with. Even without the genetic bottleneck, we'd still have eventually ended up here even if people weren't stupid fucks who refuse to follow directions.

I'm not sure what the resistance progression is like for phage therapy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a good deal slower.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: September 30, 2016, 01:47:07 am »

Its fairly fast, its just that you can also evolve new phages.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4347 on: September 30, 2016, 02:20:18 am »

That sound somewhat dogmatic of science...

That said, I know science is probably the most rational school of thought there is, but... how do we /know/? Science by its own definition makes it pretty damn difficult to spot any flaw it may have.
I thought science was, by definition, an attempt to refute positive results, and accept them as a viable theory when results are repeated nonetheless? Scientific method and all that.
So by that definition, science is designed to search for and find, flaunt it's own flaws, very thoroughly, for the express purpose of tearing them out, and with the expectation that the overall picture will never be a complete one.
Concerning the scientific method, specifically, but it's a rather significant portion of the whole meaning of science and all.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: September 30, 2016, 02:47:18 am »

Well I was referring to how the reality love to fuck over scientists because we can't have nice things.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: September 30, 2016, 03:16:45 am »

That actually sounds cool but it also sound like the polymers will give you cancer.

Or something. I don't know, it just feels like as far as medical science is concerned getting people to not die is really hard.
They're protein chains, not plastic polymers.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 339