Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 505952 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2265 on: February 11, 2015, 02:35:34 pm »

Pretty fascinating, though it makes a lot of sense. As for sample size, there's the cited study of gut flora transplahts having the same effect on mice. That said, I don't think it explains all obesity; diet, exercise, climate, metabolic rate, and digestive efficiency (microbiome included?) all work together to determine whether or not you end each day with excess unspent food calories for your body to store as fat.

Oh yeah, for sure.  Depending on how big of a role the gut bacteria play, I wonder if its possible to populate your colony with bacteria that would actively prevent obesity even if you have a terrible lifestyle?  Could you tailor your bacterial colony to your lifestyle?

I've always thought it wasn't fair that I eat like a pig and stay a reasonable weight, and I see other people who eat a lot less and are more active can be very overweight.  It would be neat if this led to solutions for that.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: February 11, 2015, 03:09:47 pm »

I agree! I'm excited by new discoveries and applications in biotech, and I bet research into gut flora symbiosis will have health applications like that... maybe even tailored microbes could treat other digestive issues too.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: February 11, 2015, 03:35:30 pm »

The Chinese actually find eye contact to be rude, so a traditional chinese person talking to a westerner would theoretically be a liiiiittle awkward.

I dunno, maybe its a regional thing.  Most of the chinese people I know make eye-contact just fine.  Or maybe they just adapt fast when they come over here?

Poop Transplant causes woman to become obese?  :o

Its only a single example so take with a massive tablespoon of scepticism, but I think it would be funny if it turned out most obesity wasn't genetic but just a result of gut-bacteria. 

I believe that a link between gut flora and obesity has been proposed in the past..

It was - several papers, too, I've written a short presentation on that and a possible autism link. The problem is, various researchers report sometimes directly contradictory results (such as one study reporting they found an increase in A:B in obese people, another claims it's B:A, and yet another it's (A+B):C where letters are various bacterial phyla).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: February 11, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: February 11, 2015, 04:28:40 pm »

Aren't... Aren't they already doing this, though? Like, in hospitals and all that? Transplant from healthy person to overweight?

Like, you're all talking about this like it was some new discovery last week, but... I could have sworn it's a medical practice at this point. o_o
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: February 11, 2015, 04:36:59 pm »

Aren't... Aren't they already doing this, though? Like, in hospitals and all that? Transplant from healthy person to overweight?

Like, you're all talking about this like it was some new discovery last week, but... I could have sworn it's a medical practice at this point. o_o

Its done, but I don't think it was intended for weight loss or gain. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: February 11, 2015, 04:37:43 pm »

I wonder how many people's fetish this is.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: February 11, 2015, 04:52:38 pm »

*gasps*

Scrdest, did you do any autism links and vaccines? Are you... that guy!? :P

The smiley leaves me thoroughly unable to even whether or not you seriously considered me being an anti-vaxer.

's not related to vaccines at all; there's some vague links and plausible pathways between gut microflora and brain, but even still it's more a risk factor than a direct cause.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: February 11, 2015, 06:01:53 pm »

I was joking about the whole thing. Just 'autism is related to something medical' and I decided to make a joke baout you being the guy that 'found' the 'link' between vaccines and autism.

I realized now you were talking about a specific 'that guy' instead the far more ambiguous option of 'that guy' as in 'don't be that guy'.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: February 17, 2015, 03:07:33 pm »

Sorry if I'm butting in on any current conversation but I had a question
With the famous E=mc2 
(Energy = mass times the speed of light squared) shows that mass can be converted into energy, but I was wondering if it is at all possible to make mass from energy? Has anyone ever attempted this? If so what happened? Is this just a dumb question?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: February 17, 2015, 03:18:25 pm »

Sorry if I'm butting in on any current conversation but I had a question
With the famous E=mc2 
(Energy = mass times the speed of light squared) shows that mass can be converted into energy, but I was wondering if it is at all possible to make mass from energy? Has anyone ever attempted this? If so what happened? Is this just a dumb question?

In order...

Yes.

Yes.

Particle accelerators/Nuclear processes - formation of new and interesting matter.

No.
This is a blank sig.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: February 17, 2015, 03:19:44 pm »

It's not actually that rare tbh. It's most evident in something like a particle accelerator, where the energy of the particles beforehand becomes many many more smaller particles. Less obviously, it occurs in chemical reactions, such as photosynthesis - the mass of the products is very very slightly greater than the reactants ( due to binding energies IIRC) and the energy from sunlight makes up the difference.

The main reason this isn't obvious is because of the conversion factor of c^2 - it takes a vast amount of energy to create even a small mass - thus it isn't witnessed outside of miniscule mass increases and incredibly high energy environs.

Ninja'd by MonkeyHead, who sums it up far more nicely :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 17, 2015, 03:22:41 pm »

Has anyone ever specifically tried to make mass on purpose though?
The exaples you guys used were having the extra mass just be by product of doing something else.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: February 17, 2015, 03:23:46 pm »

What do you mean by "as the product of doing something else"? For instance, in photosynthesis, the storage of energy is exactly the point, to whatever extent things that come about by natural selection can even be said to have a point.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 17, 2015, 03:23:46 pm »

Particle accelerators are very much on purpose - discovering new subatomic particles first requires creating them, after all.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 339