Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 505986 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2235 on: February 10, 2015, 01:17:06 am »

Red and blue makes purple, though.

Water in the air, water vapor specifically, absorbs the red wavelength.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: February 10, 2015, 01:20:32 am »

Red and blue makes purple, though.

Water in the air, water vapor specifically, absorbs the red wavelength.

Sure, with pigments. But with the red and blue filtered, you're only left with green. It's in that article above :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: February 10, 2015, 03:49:46 am »

Yeh. This is why you don't skim, kids.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: February 10, 2015, 01:08:08 pm »

Boston Robotics(AKA Google-Skynet) made a new robot named spot.  You can kick it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YjvHYbZ9w

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: February 10, 2015, 01:24:54 pm »

Boston Robotics(AKA Google-Skynet) made a new robot named spot.  You can kick it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YjvHYbZ9w
FINALLY! A robo dog you can kick to your heart's content.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: February 10, 2015, 01:37:15 pm »

Can't eat it, though, and it's therefore useless to me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: February 10, 2015, 01:42:41 pm »

Now we just need to train it to carry swords in its mouth.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: February 10, 2015, 01:50:58 pm »

Why not put lances on the sides and have it charge, cavalry style? I could probably ride that thing, now that I take a second look.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2243 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »

We've got all kinds of crazy crap going on with tech these days. I'm actually a bit worried, especially if RFID chips take off, and work as well as I fear they would. I mean, those things would be like a traveling companion that knows your entire history (once implemented), and posts to Facebook at all hours with or without your consent (clever method to track activity and location). Tag it along with these soon-to-be military greyhounds and wasps and the like... The future looks ‼FUN‼.

EDIT:
Another way to somewhat look at it as well; Big-[CONSPIRACY] is preparing to full-scale Dwarf Fortress. Can they handle it? Are they up for that level of ‼FUN‼? We need to give whoever solely wanted this future a copy of DF, and see if they really want to handle that level of complexity and power. I'll be getting myself ready for any megaprojects I'll get roped into working on.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:25:15 pm by Itnetlolor »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: February 10, 2015, 02:16:14 pm »

Now we just need to train it to carry bees in its mouth.
FTFY

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: February 10, 2015, 02:26:01 pm »

We've got all kinds of crazy crap going on with tech these days. I'm actually a bit worried, especially if RFID chips take off, and work as well as I fear they would. I mean, those things would be like a traveling companion that knows your entire history (once implemented), and posts to Facebook at all hours with or without your consent (clever method to track activity and location).
You mean like huge swathes of the population's phones already do?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2246 on: February 10, 2015, 02:33:07 pm »

We've got all kinds of crazy crap going on with tech these days. I'm actually a bit worried, especially if RFID chips take off, and work as well as I fear they would. I mean, those things would be like a traveling companion that knows your entire history (once implemented), and posts to Facebook at all hours with or without your consent (clever method to track activity and location).
You mean like huge swathes of the population's phones already do?
Yeah, phones do that; but there are people like me that travel light (no wallet or phone (not even a Facebook account) when going for a walk or something, or even going out, visiting people and the like, really); having one of these things in someone like me is really invasive and unsettling. I mean, I am not 100% committed to my phone like most people are, and don't take it with me everywhere. To track me more easily, an RFID would be more suitable. I still travel light (still no phone nor wallet), and they still collect data via my contact points (gates/doorways, like a market or national park, having an RF receiver and the like; you don't even have to enter the place; standing near the door would be enough.) via my "serial number" and possibly GPS coordinates based on RF-Receiver.

Then add in interactive objects that require such devices to work (guns, ATMs, etc.). In other words, I can be shut out from anything and everything (including my bank account and local market), by having my number "locked". Really inconvenient for people still wanting a normal life. The exploitability of these things can also get sinister really fast (self-driving cars can "glitch-out" resulting in an "unfortunate accident"; or a flying car attempting to mimic 9/11 (ineffectively) for shock value and further population manipulation via media (extraordinarily effectively). They scream "false-flag at-will".), depending on who has control over it (best not be some self-centered irresponsible prick *cough*politicians/luminous-nutballs*cough*). Being without device "locks out" anyway, but at least, with most of my consent/will/life still intact and under more of my own control.

From a cultural standpoint, this will clearly divide the classes, and we'll have something like The Hunger Games in no time. That is, unless "Skynet" gets there first. Personally, I'd rather an AI end us, rather than a politician with excessive power. At least an AI is rational about it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:11:14 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2247 on: February 10, 2015, 03:19:13 pm »

I guess what my biggest concern overall is, is something to do with something I remember hearing: "As technology advances, morals decline." (a good example, see trolling and social media and cyberbullying, and how far regular people have taken it. This is excluding global superpowers as a whole (UN and such) that also have this level of power, and then some), and also the general human condition overall. I just hope that all this continually growing power falls into responsible hands; otherwise, I welcome The End, however it comes about.

Considering the potential for the most likely irresponsible applications that can be applied, I feel like The End is an inevitability. That being the case: If we're to die inevitably, I'm going my own path, and let myself die with some dignity that I chose my own path (whether I eventually cave in and "chip-in" or not).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:21:08 pm by Itnetlolor »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: February 10, 2015, 03:21:19 pm »

I guess what my biggest concern overall is, is something to do with something I remember hearing: "As technology advances, morals decline."
You should be happy to know that that statement is complete and utter bullshit, then.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: February 10, 2015, 03:59:14 pm »

I guess what my biggest concern overall is, is something to do with something I remember hearing: "As technology advances, morals decline."
You should be happy to know that that statement is complete and utter bullshit, then.
What if it were to be phrased differently?

technology = power
morals decline = corruption

Power corrupts. Unless you don't put stock in that philosophy.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 339