Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 505765 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1560 on: June 22, 2014, 12:18:19 am »

The result is a system six times more powerful than existing servers that requires eighty times less energy.
I call shenanigans. That sounds like a significant power drop for something that is increasing in power.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: June 22, 2014, 12:47:26 am »

Not really, "existing server" is quite a limited concept, and the most efficient Intel experimental processor a few years back could do a couple of teraflops on less than 60 watts.

These experimental chips aren't constrained by things like backwards compatibility with crappy instruction sets, so you can pack 100's of ultra-efficient micro-cores in there with their own working ram for less than the size and energy needs of a normal Intel 64-bit CPU.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:49:32 am by Reelya »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 22, 2014, 12:49:17 am »

These experimental chips aren't constrained by things like backwards compatibility with crappy instruction sets.
That makes a lot of sense, actually. ok.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: June 22, 2014, 01:02:20 am »

The part that I'm skeptical about is "prototype by 2015, mass production by 2018." They're going to have this up and going next year?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: June 22, 2014, 01:05:33 am »

Oh yeah, I'm heavily skeptical of seeing this ship in any practical product for a very long time. We still haven't seen any devices for sale with those Intel 2-teraflop 60 watt chips. And that was actually demonstrated working way back in 2007:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teraflops_Research_Chip

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: June 22, 2014, 01:06:49 am »

From what I understood of it, the only "really new" thing was the optical-instead-of-copper "wiring"? And that's not exactly *new* new.

The rest of it is just reorganizing and adapting existing technologies in new ways. Massively parallel specialized chips rather than a few generalized powerful ones, neh?

Edit: Oh, right, the "memristors." Yeah that one's a little more new.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:09:27 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: June 22, 2014, 09:03:32 am »

The reason we're still using old shitty instruction sets is that all programs rely on them tho, so developing for those servers probably isn't going to be simple.

E:
I have to give HP credit for that Asimov reference though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:05:05 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 22, 2014, 09:11:06 am »

Well, they need to hurry up and use these awesome new(ish) instruction sets/hardware setups to build programs that update all the old programs, then. Things would be able to roll in pretty easy after that, I would think. Sounds pretty simple to me. Not easy, mind, but definitely simple :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: June 22, 2014, 09:15:10 am »

I think you underestimate the sheer amount of inertia that programs has.
Python 3.0 was released in 2008 but like half of all Python libraries still uses 2.7 to the point where newbies ask themselves "should I learn 2.7 or 3.4?"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 22, 2014, 09:40:29 am »

Well, they need to hurry up and use these awesome new(ish) instruction sets/hardware setups to build programs that update all the old programs, then. Things would be able to roll in pretty easy after that, I would think. Sounds pretty simple to me. Not easy, mind, but definitely simple :P
But then Toady would have to rewrite DF...

._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 22, 2014, 11:15:26 am »

It's a little beyond just rejigging instruction sets to be more efficient, that's just RISC processor design which has been around since the 1980's. How they're leveraging more speed is by actually hard-wiring common algorithms into the silicon itself. Hence, you skip the whole "read instruction, process instruction, set up data, execute instruction" rigmarole, and just have a circuit which does that job without all the overhead or checking or memory reads needed by the instructions.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 23, 2014, 05:47:37 am »

It's a little beyond just rejigging instruction sets to be more efficient, that's just RISC processor design which has been around since the 1980's. How they're leveraging more speed is by actually hard-wiring common algorithms into the silicon itself. Hence, you skip the whole "read instruction, process instruction, set up data, execute instruction" rigmarole, and just have a circuit which does that job without all the overhead or checking or memory reads needed by the instructions.
Or, in other words, instead of digital, it's analogue.

Cheers for analogue computations! Hurray!
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:55 am »

Still digital... it's about as analogue as your GPU.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 23, 2014, 11:51:40 pm »

Hey, know what's cool?

Fusion reactors powered by molten metal and hammers.

Seriously... this solves a crapton of problems with existing fusion reactor designs, has a built-in method for negating Neutronicity and associated radiation damage to operators and equipment, and is comparatively cheap on energy input needed. If I (DISCLAIMER: as a layperson) had to pick a candidate for the most practical first Fusion Reactor, this would be it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 23, 2014, 11:57:06 pm »

Hey, know what's cool?

Fusion reactors powered by molten metal and hammers.

Seriously... this solves a crapton of problems with existing fusion reactor designs, has a built-in method for negating Neutronicity and associated radiation damage to operators and equipment, and is comparatively cheap on energy input needed. If I (DISCLAIMER: as a layperson) had to pick a candidate for the most practical first Fusion Reactor, this would be it.
Unfortunately the website began having problems and I couldn't get more than 2 minutes into the video. But...holy crap.
That sounds ridiculously dwarfy.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 339