Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506467 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1095 on: February 01, 2014, 12:08:22 pm »

I could get behind most of the paperwork just being computerized. Even really cheap computers can handle something simple like that. Though, crucial things should have physical backups just in case.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 01, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »

Problem is, lot's of people seem to really dislike reading things on screen, so will print out stuff just to read it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 01, 2014, 03:05:04 pm »

My mom prints emails ;_;

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 01, 2014, 03:07:04 pm »

My father does too :(
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 01, 2014, 03:24:41 pm »

Problem is, lot's of people seem to really dislike reading things on screen, so will print out stuff just to read it.
So you don't hire them :P

Possibly better idea, figure out a way to get paper-equivalent display aesthetics for your devices (particularly any mobile ones) on the cheap. Then possibly tell 'em to suck it up, I'unno.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand the not-appreciating-backlight stuff (it took me years to really adjust to it, iirc, and is still occasionally offputting.), but I'm relatively sure plenty of e-readers and whatnot have had that issue solved for... quiet a while, now. Just incorporate the same thing into whatever kit the company uses.

E: Or, to put it another way, when someone says they don't like reading off a screen, all I'm really hearing is "There's an ergonomics issue to be fixed." So we fix it!

E2: And then sell the solution, of course.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:32:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 01, 2014, 03:49:45 pm »

Not really true; not all screens are created equal.

Old CRTs and such were absolutely terrible on the eyes. Modern displays give only minimal eye strain. And low-power e-ink displays are effectively the same as printed text. The only other difference is resolution and font clarity; which only gets better with better monitors (assuming you don't have your display drivers all borked up), and can be fixed by zooming in.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 01, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »

Although a lot of people don't have an e-ink reader thing, and they still have some issue (Reading A4 pdfs on one is quite annoying for exemple).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 01, 2014, 04:04:31 pm »

And scrolling/flipping through pages is pretty bad, too. I'd hate to have to use an e-textbook, for example.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 01, 2014, 04:25:37 pm »

Not something I've experienced on a mobile, yet, but an e-textbook properly set up for digital use (as opposed to just being a scanned physical textbook with nothing else done to it) is honestly kinda' amazing. Good hotlinking, a well constructed and easily accessible index and searching option(s), and the ability to have open multiple instances? Bloody golden. Massive usability improvement over a paper textbook, which is a bit of a pain in the arse to use after properly experiencing some decently set up .pdfs and whatnot.

Admittedly, I've never seen all of those features in one place, but still. Almost all complaints I regularly see about digital text is methodology problems, not hardware ones. And methodology problems can be fixed. Will be, as the technology and use becomes (more) ubiquitous.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 01, 2014, 05:01:09 pm »

E-textbooks are indeed great... if used on a tablet, PC, or laptop. Kindles (and similar), phones, etc aren't so great for them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 02, 2014, 02:28:40 am »

First time I saw that link I read it as intelligence of cows. Wow, exiting stuff, I thought.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 02, 2014, 04:34:09 am »

First time I saw that link I read it as intelligence of cows. Wow, exiting stuff, I thought.

Spoiler: TMYK... (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 02, 2014, 04:59:21 am »

Spoiler: TMYK... (click to show/hide)

Serious: Well, of course. People are around cows much more then they're around sharks.

Silly: Cows with guns.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 339