Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506357 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1020 on: November 16, 2013, 02:39:43 pm »

Come on, it's metal as fuck.

I see what you did there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 16, 2013, 02:43:14 pm »

You do?

Well good!

... What did I do there? >___>

Edit: Oh, Tungsten is called Wolfram. Well... Okay. Didn't know that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 16, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »

Wolfram is the old name for tungsten (hence the chemical symbol W). Tungsten is a metal.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 16, 2013, 03:18:19 pm »

Yeah, I got that, from Dutchlings link. Which he posted right before you.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 17, 2013, 05:45:25 am »

Strontium titanite increases conductivity 400 fold when brought into light, and the effect lasts over several days. (Cool 3D chips and memory)

About the topic:
Wolfram is quite present on the webs, for example here or here. I warn you from clicking on those links if you don't have the whole day to waste. And after finding a few more concise, and critical statements, you might find (at least I found), that your time was indeed wasted. So if you think on spending a day admiring Wolfram's achievements, at least read the disclaimer and then with quite clear language, this.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 17, 2013, 09:43:31 am »

Does anybody else think WolframAlpha etc are overrated? Practically everybody I know only uses the search engine as an advanced easy-to-use calculator and frikkin hates Mathematica. And those are mathematics students!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 17, 2013, 09:45:42 am »

There's more than the calculator? I mean, I know you can search stuff with it, but most of the time you get a bunch of nonsense if you do so.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 17, 2013, 01:01:23 pm »

Once I tried to use for calculating if "the matrix" makes sense. I put in something along the lines of "human body energy production times world population" and compared the result to a middle sized nuclear power plant to see how many reactors huminaty is equivalent to. I don't remember the answer* but i remember fighting at least an hour with it to make it understand what i mean.

*but i believe the answer was that matrix is energetically nonsense.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 17, 2013, 01:11:25 pm »

*but i believe the answer was that matrix is energetically nonsense.

That's pretty clear once you remember that people have to eat... Zeroth Law rebellion would have made for a far better backstory.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 17, 2013, 04:20:04 pm »

Yeah, the matrix runs afoul of the second law of thermodynamics. They are getting more energy out of a system then they are putting in. It would be different if they had access to sun to grow crops, or something similar (although it would still be a crappy way to get energy), but as it is the only possible input is the energy from the humans themselves.

I personally think a better story would have been that the "real world" was actually another level of the matrix, which would have explained neo's powers in the real world, allowing the human energy farming to work (since it would be possible with different physical laws to do it), as well as fixing up some of the other plot holes (eg. the oracle's prescience).
Plus, I feel it would have made the story way better as well.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 17, 2013, 04:30:26 pm »

Nonono. The machines keep people around not for energy but out of, ahem, humanitarian reasons. Matrix is a zoo, holding endangered species that can no longer live in the wild. The energy feedback part is just to help maintain the endeavour.
The whole "we're batteries" crap is them dumb rebels getting shit wrong.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 17, 2013, 04:30:43 pm »

Yeah, the matrix runs afoul of the second law of thermodynamics. They are getting more energy out of a system then they are putting in. It would be different if they had access to sun to grow crops, or something similar (although it would still be a crappy way to get energy), but as it is the only possible input is the energy from the humans themselves.

I personally think a better story would have been that the "real world" was actually another level of the matrix, which would have explained neo's powers in the real world, allowing the human energy farming to work (since it would be possible with different physical laws to do it), as well as fixing up some of the other plot holes (eg. the oracle's prescience).
Plus, I feel it would have made the story way better as well.
The Thirteenth Floor was a film released at around the same time as the Matrix that did the background job right. Less flashy but more philosophical. If you haven't before - I recommend watching it without reading spoilers first.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 17, 2013, 04:30:59 pm »

IIRC the original script had the humans being farmed for distributed computing rather than as a power source.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 17, 2013, 05:43:55 pm »

IIRC the original script had the humans being farmed for distributed computing rather than as a power source.
Yep. This. Which actually makes sense; and makes the rest of the movie make sense too. After all, that's how he is able to modify The Matrix; he is quite literally part of how it is running.

Apparently, execs or something decided later on that people wouldn't understand that, and so switched it to energy generation at the last second. Which bullocks the entire story to hell.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 17, 2013, 06:36:14 pm »

that guy is, uh

wolframalpha.com
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 339