Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506470 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #945 on: October 27, 2013, 11:01:40 am »

To get proper lab-grown meat, you need to replicate all these structures: A pump instead of a heart, chemical processing instead of a stomach, dialysis instead of a liver, hormones instead of glands, antibiotics and sterility instead of an immune system, etc etc.
No you don't.
Yeah, you do. Ideally, you wind up with a sheet of muscle, adipose, and connective tissues suspended in a nutrient bath, subjected to regular electrical stimulation, I think. But everything in that list, with the arguable exception of the heart, is basically necessary. You do need something to keep the fluid circulating, but you probably don't need a pump (and we'd probably omit blood vessels and bones outside of meat specially grown for these). You do need to supply nutrition, remove waste, direct growth, and avoid contamination. The hope is that we can do this more efficiently than an engine optimized for breeding, and given enough time we probably can.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 27, 2013, 11:04:25 am »

You'll need to protect the meat from infection, you'll need to keep the inner parts of the muscle you're growing supplied with nutrients, you'll need to somehow seperate the waste from the blood, you need to induce growth... So yeah, as far as I can tell you do. I'm not in any way educated on the matter, though - if you've got further information, please tell.

Maybe we should focus on ground meat before tackling the steak problem...

NINJAEDIT: Yeah, what Bauglir said, though I believe it is easier to modify the vehicle we already have instead of practically starting from scratch.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 27, 2013, 11:06:46 am »

Well, of course you do.

BTW, meat from animals is only inefficient if you feed them grain. Grass-fed beef is great because it use a feedstock that has little value otherwise. For a lot of ecosystems, steppes and pampas, raising livestock is the only way the land can contribute sustainably to our food supply. Livestock husbandry can even contribute to the ecosystem's health (look for stuff like Brown revolution or holistic management on google for examples).

Of course, this kind of husbandry cannot contribute the massive amount of meat westerner currently eat.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 27, 2013, 11:56:04 am »

Funny you should quote this: I actually worked in that ranch last summer. But yeah, exactly my point.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 27, 2013, 02:06:11 pm »

you'll need to keep the inner parts of the muscle you're growing supplied with nutrients
There is no inner parts; it's just a thin layer of tissue. All the separate materials are combined afterwards to create the final product.

It all comes down to what is absolutely necessary for creating meat. You don't need a complex mixture or anything like that; just stem cells to grow the tissue along with an incubator chamber with proper conditions to differentiate into the tissue you need; something like a half dozen chemicals and hormones; which are easy and cheap to mass produce. Which is all beside the point, because they are doing it already. That's how they made the burger in the first place, so that's already done.

Overall, muscles are probably one of the most simple to create, simply because they are so ancient in terms of evolution. They first evolved when animals consisted of sponge-like creatures, and as a result, have basic requirements which are fairly simple. There have probably been some evolutionary changes since they first emerged, but if it works, evolution won't tend to make it more complicated and prone to fail without good reason.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:22:07 pm by alway »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 27, 2013, 02:32:52 pm »

Not to mention that methane from cows is a pretty large greenhouse gas producer. >--->
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 27, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »

That's a misunderstanding of the carbon cycle; they don't produce any carbon that the grass they eat didn't just take out of the atmosphere. I dunno how much carbon the grass would put back into the air once it dies and rots, but I don't think it's much less than it does after being eaten by a cow (EDIT: They actually do cause far less damage when rotting rather than eaten; see my next post in this thread).

The greenhouse gas "producers" we should be worried about are the ones that take carbon that have been long removed from the main carbon cycle and put it back in the atmosphere. This is pretty much just limited to fossil fuels and volcanoes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:47:06 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 27, 2013, 02:38:54 pm »

To be fair, methane is worse than carbon dioxide for that. By weight, that is. By atmospheric composition, yeah, it's not that significant by my recollection. Still, wouldn't hurt.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 27, 2013, 02:42:40 pm »

You're forgetting that grain-fed cows get their grain from fields that have artificial fertilizers, created from fossil fuels. :P

Plus, methane has a different cycle than carbon. Carbon can be captured again by plants, methane isn't so easily captured.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:44:33 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 27, 2013, 02:45:13 pm »

To be fair, methane is worse than carbon dioxide for that.
Yeah, the wife educated me on just that. Apparently livestock produce enough methane to be statistically significant when it comes to greenhouse gasses.

So yes, cows are a problem.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 27, 2013, 03:34:41 pm »

Plus, methane has a different cycle than carbon. Carbon can be captured again by plants, methane isn't so easily captured.
Then again, Methane is just CH4. Within a small decade most of it is broken apart by incoming solar radiation, and turned into Co2 and water.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 27, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »

The problem isn't necessarily getting rid of the methane in the atmosphere, it's that we produce enough of it to have a supply in the atmosphere constantly. And that supply does much more damage than the CO2 (per molecule, that is).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 27, 2013, 04:30:06 pm »

To be fair, methane is worse than carbon dioxide for that.
Yeah, the wife educated me on just that. Apparently livestock produce enough methane to be statistically significant when it comes to greenhouse gasses.

So yes, cows are a problem.

So does rice farming, which apparently is kind of a big thing in some parts of Asia.
This is a blank sig.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 27, 2013, 04:59:52 pm »

The reason the meat was bad and dry was because it was pure meat. No fatty content in it.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 339