Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 507156 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #810 on: October 04, 2013, 09:51:59 am »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 04, 2013, 12:16:35 pm »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 04, 2013, 07:55:58 pm »

Boston Dynamics have a new robot: WildCat.
It can run at least 16 m/h (25 km/h), and is basically an untethered version of their earlier Cheetah prototype which could go up to 48 km/h.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/military-robots/whoa-boston-dynamics-announces-new-wildcat-quadruped

Also, comparing every robotic system to terminator is stupid. There is no descriptive power in that comparison.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:59:38 pm by alway »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 05, 2013, 01:57:03 am »

Also, comparing every robotic system to terminator is stupid. There is no descriptive power in that comparison.
Yup, thereby compelling people to gain additionall information, and read the article.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 05, 2013, 09:28:47 am »

Yup, thereby compelling people to gain additionall information, and read the article.
Thus making it clickbait, and ethically obligating me to avoid it so as not to encourage such stupidity on the part of writers.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 05, 2013, 09:29:36 am »

Your loss, I suppose.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 05, 2013, 09:47:50 am »

A better description by posters would be nice, much as i dislike raining on parades.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:53:06 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 06, 2013, 11:16:20 am »

Same wildcat video on youtube oops didnt see you had it linked already.

Really impressive, though it obviously can't navigate any kind of rough terrain(yet). The software will need to be fairly advanced, or self learning do deal with that.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:28:45 am by Drakale »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 08, 2013, 11:40:26 am »

It's not really true though, they aren't counting the laser inefficiency into the net power equation, only the net outputted power. So the laser heating losses are ignored, making it not even close to break even. Neat milestone, but dishonest reporting by the BBC.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 08, 2013, 12:51:05 pm »

Dishonest seems a bit harsh when the article aknowledges the labs stated goal of "ignition", which factors into account the laser efficiency problem. In fact, lasers are horribly inneficient, which suggests to me that laser induced fusion will probably not be the best way to get a net energy gain from the process.
This is a blank sig.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 08, 2013, 01:30:24 pm »

Yeah. It's not "We got more power out of the reactor/apparatus/big ol' machine than we put in!", it's "We got more power out of the fuel-pellet than we put in."

As in, they pump 10mw of power into the fuel (even though the lasers might consume like... 20mw), and the reaction output 15mw.

*All numbers are ass-pulls to illustrate the point.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 08, 2013, 01:35:17 pm »

Yeah I knee jerked a bit due to the linked title and confusing it from another article I had read, the actual article is not that bad, apologies to the author. But as you said, lasers driven fusion is probably never going to be efficient enough to be used in a reactor, magnetic confinement is much more promising.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 08, 2013, 02:57:59 pm »

The obvious solution is to orchestrate the production new centers of massive gravity. Naturally, doing this on earth would kill us all.

Bare with me here, but I have an idea. What if we orchestrated the congregation of interstellar mass until it gets dense enough to ignite itself? Naturally, if we wanted a net gain, we would basically just make sure things get nudged in the proper direction and they come together relatively quickly. This would still likely take a long time (especially for humans), and such a thing is still way beyond our reach, but theoretically, shouldn't we be able to manufacture stars?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 08, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »

Conceivably, but it would probably be more efficient to just use that mass to build a Dyson Sphere around a star that already exists.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 339