Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 507129 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #751 on: September 12, 2013, 05:14:38 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen, Voyager I has left the building.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 12, 2013, 05:21:30 pm »

That was just the media misinterpreting progress announcements. As you can see, this is NASA themselves.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 12, 2013, 05:27:03 pm »

The thing is, data from voyager makes us reinterpret our conception of the solar system's frontier regularly. We think it's the end, but the next month we have to redo the models because it appears there's another layer. So it may make scientists sounds pretty bad, but in reality it means we're adjusting our models on the frontier between the solar system and interstellar space by actually getting there and probbing it. Which is most certainly one of the coolest things ever.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 13, 2013, 03:31:45 pm »

No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 13, 2013, 04:05:09 pm »

Not the first Eye replacement operation that happened. I know of others that have much better specifications and video quality.

It's the first to actually place the implant in the eye, and therefore be mostly unnoticeable though.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:23 pm »

It does seem more practical than the concept that let people see with their tongue.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 13, 2013, 05:50:17 pm »

If I recall correctly, I saw a documentary about something similar years ago. And it functioned pretty much exactly the same way. This leads me to believe that this is not a new thing at all. I'd link it if I could find it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 13, 2013, 06:23:43 pm »

I have seen something similar before as well. Didn't look as fancy though.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #759 on: September 13, 2013, 06:25:50 pm »

I wonder how the research into hijacking the optic nerve (for people with cases of blindness not involving the optic nerve or visual cortex or etc.) and sending electric impulses converted from camera inputs on sunglasses is going. IIRC, last I heard they had black-and-white blocky vision.

This seems less practical but more of an actual solution.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 13, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »

I wonder how the research into hijacking the optic nerve (for people with cases of blindness not involving the optic nerve or visual cortex or etc.) and sending electric impulses converted from camera inputs on sunglasses is going. IIRC, last I heard they had black-and-white blocky vision.
IIRC, they recently made (or are finishing up) a firmware update for that model which allows color and slightly better resolution. I think the hardware was recently approved for general use in the US, and has been available in Germany for a few years now, with a German firm nearing (six months to two years?) a model with 40-80% of the electrodes predicted to be necessary for facial recognition [I think they have 60% of 2000 needed].

I need to start writing these things down instead of trying to remember details.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 17, 2013, 02:55:24 pm »

Re-posting from the WTF thread.

Microbial life that breaks down waste can used to harness electricity.

It's pretty interesting, the concept of harnessing electricity from organic lifeforms. That being said, this particular incident is inefficient and expensive.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 17, 2013, 03:16:10 pm »

That has existed for a long time. Most versions used sugar or other forms of energy though, no waste.

But generally, the problem is that while it's very energy efficient, it's not size efficient (1m3 can power a small computer), and not time efficient either.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 17, 2013, 03:25:34 pm »

ptw
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:49 pm »

Aliens discovered in Earth's atmosphere.

Logic here is that they couldn't have come fallen up, so they must have fallen down from the sky.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 339