Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: keeping adamantine out of the hospital  (Read 10312 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: keeping adamantine out of the hospital
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 03:26:37 pm »

It would be even better if you could retrieve the thread after the dwarves have perished. Then it would not be that great of a problem...
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 04:43:49 pm »

Think about the possibility of an adamantine cast or threads all over the body - a dwarven Wolverine...

Undying champion of Uristworld, ripping apart greenskins with his bare hands while all attacks glance of his body!!!

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 05:15:47 pm »

Okay that would be kind of cool. Make them a were creature for recovery purposes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 05:23:07 pm »

It would be even better if you could retrieve the thread after the dwarves have perished. Then it would not be that great of a problem...
You can. When they die, they drop everything. If that doesn't work, turn them into a were-creature or a zombie. That causes them to drop everything, even things sewn into them.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 07:16:40 pm »

You can. When they die, they drop everything. If that doesn't work, turn them into a were-creature or a zombie. That causes them to drop everything, even things sewn into them.
I'm not going to ask how you learned that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 08:14:23 pm »

Remember Asmel, the were-civet? LW experiments a lot with were-creatures and zombies.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 08:15:30 pm »

Just a little harmless fun I'd assume
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 10:12:58 pm »

Now if Toady made it so said strands acted like a form of armor...... yessss injuring dwarfs so when the doctors sew them up they become loving adamantine golems.

Or a walking talking diced dwarf... Those strands can slice steel like butter.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 10:24:50 pm »

Now if Toady made it so said strands acted like a form of armor...... yessss injuring dwarfs so when the doctors sew them up they become loving adamantine golems.

Actually the adamantine physics thread thorized that adamantine strands are soft and smooth due to impurities, and it takes heat to purify and harden them into the metal we know and love. Strand form is bendable, breakable, rippable, soft. Thats why it wears out.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 10:51:05 pm »

Actually the adamantine physics thread thorized that adamantine strands are soft and smooth due to impurities, and it takes heat to purify and harden them into the metal we know and love. Strand form is bendable, breakable, rippable, soft. Thats why it wears out.

Yeah but, where's the fun in thinking like that? ;)

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 11:05:14 pm »

Despite rumors to the contrary, hospital storage limits still seem completely broken.

Therefore: Don't ever build storage in a hospital.  Make a cloth stockpile, a thread stockpile, and a finished goods (Splints/crutches) one.

Now even more effective since workshops can be make to take only from stockpiles designated to give to them.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 05:23:04 am »

Soo... if we instead of having a hospital stockpile we have a stockpile inside the hospital with phantom spider threads forbidden...

Glorious, a solution to the problem!
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 07:43:55 am »

Despite rumors to the contrary, hospital storage limits still seem completely broken.

Therefore: Don't ever build storage in a hospital.  Make a cloth stockpile, a thread stockpile, and a finished goods (Splints/crutches) one.

Now even more effective since workshops can be make to take only from stockpiles designated to give to them.

The thing is, do dwarves fill up hospital storage (assuming you use it) from stockpiles that are set to give to a workshop (and thus shouldn't give to anywhere else, as I understand it)? Because if not, the simple solution is to have only one stockpile store adamantine thread, have it give to your adamantine smelter and take from the craftsdwarf's workshops that do the extracting, and voilą! Disclaimer: this may not work, since dwarves really want to haul stuff to hospital storage, even stealing thread from caravans (known bug).

Indeed, hospital thread should actually prioritize lowest-value instead of highest-value thread. I wouldn't want thread dyed with blade weed or sliver barb products sewn into me, those things sound nasty.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 08:04:55 am »

Indeed, hospital thread should actually prioritize lowest-value instead of highest-value thread. I wouldn't want thread dyed with blade weed or sliver barb products sewn into me, those things sound nasty.
Try having adamantine strands dyed with sliver barb dye sewn into your dwarves. The experience must be really heavenly.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 08:27:52 am »

I take the "no coffers / bags built in the hospital zone" route.  Which means you need to setup the following stockpiles within the hospital area.

- Finished Goods, splints & crutches, 3-8 tiles
- Cloth - Thread (plant-based), only 2-3 tiles worth
- Cloth - Cloth (plant-based), only 2-4 tiles worth
- Bars - Soap, no containers, 4-12 tiles worth, usually in a room next to the well
- Furniture, Wood Buckets, 4-12 tiles worth, again near the well
- Gypsum plaster/powder

But I'm not sure how to specify a stockpile for the gypsum powder and it always seems to end up in my cloth/silk/leather furniture bag stockpiles instead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3