Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dehydration  (Read 4790 times)

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dehydration
« on: July 02, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »

So i have around 200 drink and my dwarves are dying of dehydration any reason for this?

I lost around 40 dwarves then they started drinking and are no longer dehydrated... um... what?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:52:54 pm by IIzTrollin »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dehydration
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:54:39 pm »

Not sure if telling truth.

Or was honest while making username.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:57:55 pm »

both... >.<

well now they are in a tantrum spiral... time to start killing off the unhappy O_o

anyway any reason they wouldn't drink?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »

Any burrows?
Have you had only one type of booze for several years and no water?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:24:10 pm »

Not enough barrels most like.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:30:30 pm »

That doesn't matter. Dwarves will never take dehydration over alcohol.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:08:46 pm »

Not enough barrels most like.

That's my guess as well.  To expand on this, no matter how many drinks you have, only one dwarf can be drinking at a time from a barrel.  So if you have 200 drinks stuffed into 10 barrels (not sure that will fit, but you get the picture), only 10 dwarves can be drinking and the rest have to wait their turn.

I've never seen this actually lead to dehydration, but in a very large fort it might.

Otherwise I'd suspect burrows or other pathing issues of some flavor or another.  Like locking dwarves into parts of the fortress so they can't access the booze, broken ramp / stair access, and things like that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
  • Biting people to death since 126,000 B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:14:50 pm »

I have some advice for you. if they  re not drinking it is because your soldiers have claimed all drinks. Solution: burn all soldiers to death. or let all civialins die. or you could brew some more shit but this wouldn't be fun would it?
This is a russian player. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with blood, death and pain and encircled with bands of bad grammar mistakes.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:23:08 pm »

That doesn't matter. Dwarves will never take dehydration over alcohol.
They will if the alcohol was brewed that month, and the next month hasn't arrived yet.  At least, thats how it worked for me.  One week of no booze, flurry of brewing when i realized the problem, three weeks of dwarves leaning against booze barrels bitching about lack of said booze (two dying of dehydration) and on the first of the next month the survivors swarmed the booze stockpile to drink their fill.  I lacked water as it all froze, or I think the two that died would have lived, but still.

This was 31.25, so I'm hoping its been fixed, but I doubt it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:38:53 pm »

Check for...

... uniform conflicts: There will be a conflict if any dwarves have both military and another job with a uniform active (woodcutting, hunting, or mining). Dwarves will claim a barrel and attempt to pack their military supplies with drinks, but the conflict interrupts and cancels the process. Since the barrel's claimed by Urist McConflicted, nobody else can drink from it.

... barrels: Two dwarves cannot drink from a single keg at a time, so if your 400 units of booze are spread out in only 10 kegs, there won't be enough to go around.

I haven't played DF much since the 2012 version came out, but these were known issues in 2010.

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:51:39 pm »

that coulda been the problem not enough barrels, do you need mugs or something for them to beable to drink out of the same barrel? even though i had over half a stock pile full (not sure food or what)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:56:38 pm »

that coulda been the problem not enough barrels, do you need mugs or something for them to beable to drink out of the same barrel? even though i had over half a stock pile full (not sure food or what)
Nope. The wiki entry for mugs reminds you that you don't need mugs for drinking.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »

so is there anyway to have them drink out of more hten one barrel?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:59:27 pm »

Besides brewing more drinks? Not that I can think of.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 11:00:13 pm »

Make more barrels and brew enough booze to fill them all.  Also, brew different kinds of booze.  A filled barrel is either a dwarven ale barrel or a dwarven rum barrel or a strawberry wine barrel or a mead barrel, etc.  They won't mix different kinds of alcohol into the same barrel.

If you're experiencing a wood shortage just make rock pots at a craftsdwarf workshop instead of barrels, they work the same way.  Also, press p as if you were going to place a stockpile, and tinker with your barrel reserve.  With reserved barrels, no barrels will be claimed by stockpiles until at least the reserve amount are left free for jobs that require barrels, which helps you keep them available for brewing.  You can do the same with bins, but it's pointless, no job directly requires bins to be performed.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2 3