-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: The Mage-omatic Arts: Now with infinitely more Necromancy (and Mayard)  (Read 25672 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Quest! (I swear I will get a better title)
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 04:43:22 am »

Name: Alara Zephyr
Favorite Colour: Gilded Silver
Personality Traits: Adventurous, Risk-taker, Analytical, Open-minded, Intrapersonal, Passionate
Element: For the Poll! {Preferring Wind :3}
Channeling item class: Finger-less Gloves!
+1 to this

And we should pick an element that we can use in not only battle but in other more useful ways too. Stone or life could make shelter out of rock or plants, fire can melt and shape metal and glass, water can carve rock and keep us hydrated in deserts when we draw it from underground as well as making sea traveling easier, wind could make us extremely useful for sailing boats and mills, etc.

I personally am going for stone, since that seems useful and a bit of a new choice from people who like to take stuff like fire or light and such. IT'S TIME TO ROCK!!
I would plus one this, but i am more for writing than for gloves in spicific. Yes, it calls for a bit of preplanning, but, we can make spells for any situation as long as we have a medium and writing material. Actually, i think it should be written words, than just righting utincles, so we can write in dirt and have what we need to work with.
On that note, i am also for the plant element because, there is nearly no situation where it will not help.
+1 for writing over gloves.
I'm all for this stuff, cos you know the character sounds awesome. I actually voted fire cos I reckon it is one of the more practical, but that isn't really important.

I reckon for the implement, something original WOULD be nice, so maybe something like, I dunno, if air ends up being voted then the cape idea was pretty cool, or something like musical instruments, to PLAY the magic. That, I reckon, is another good one.
But, if all else fails and it is writing-vs-gloves, I would go writing.

tl;dr- Music to play magic, or if not then writing implements +1.
Wait, if you're going for something original, why are you choosing writing over gloves as an implement? Writing out scrolls to use later is basically how every single D&D wizard operates. Whereas punching arcane energies into desired shapes is something I don't think has ever been done before.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

CuRiSeeechun

• Bay Watcher
  • Available in 1 size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 06:04:39 am »

Name: Alara Zephyr
Favorite Colour: Gilded Silver
Personality Traits: Adventurous, Risk-taker, Analytical, Open-minded, Intrapersonal, Passionate
Element: For the Poll! {Preferring Wind :3}
Channeling item class: Finger-less Gloves!
+1 to this

And we should pick an element that we can use in not only battle but in other more useful ways too. Stone or life could make shelter out of rock or plants, fire can melt and shape metal and glass, water can carve rock and keep us hydrated in deserts when we draw it from underground as well as making sea traveling easier, wind could make us extremely useful for sailing boats and mills, etc.

I personally am going for stone, since that seems useful and a bit of a new choice from people who like to take stuff like fire or light and such. IT'S TIME TO ROCK!!
I would plus one this, but i am more for writing than for gloves in spicific. Yes, it calls for a bit of preplanning, but, we can make spells for any situation as long as we have a medium and writing material. Actually, i think it should be written words, than just righting utincles, so we can write in dirt and have what we need to work with.
On that note, i am also for the plant element because, there is nearly no situation where it will not help.
+1 for writing over gloves.
I'm all for this stuff, cos you know the character sounds awesome. I actually voted fire cos I reckon it is one of the more practical, but that isn't really important.

I reckon for the implement, something original WOULD be nice, so maybe something like, I dunno, if air ends up being voted then the cape idea was pretty cool, or something like musical instruments, to PLAY the magic. That, I reckon, is another good one.
But, if all else fails and it is writing-vs-gloves, I would go writing.

tl;dr- Music to play magic, or if not then writing implements +1.
Wait, if you're going for something original, why are you choosing writing over gloves as an implement? Writing out scrolls to use later is basically how every single D&D wizard operates. Whereas punching arcane energies into desired shapes is something I don't think has ever been done before.
I wasn't referring to the writing as the original bit, I just sorta prefer that idea of writing our magic to the punching as a concept, if we end up falling into a one vs the other scenario. I just see it as more practical.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 08:40:05 am »

Turn 1:

That's right, you are Alara Zephyr the wind mage!

Alright fine, Zephyr isn't actually your last name but it sounds cool as well as being appropriate. You can't quite remember your old one anyway, you are pretty sure your last name started with a J though, yeah, pretty sure.

Apart from that you have all sorts of characteristics, you are an adventurous risk-take who is analytical and open-minded. You are also known to be very passionate and have a tendency to monologue. You also like the colour of Gilded Silver, sure sure it's people say it is identical to gold but you can tell the difference.

You channel your magic powers through writing implements. It's alright but it definitely doesn't look as badass as some of the ways you know of. In the Academy there was this guy who used gloves, he really got a hold on his powers, he was just running around shooting fire out of his hands.

But yes, writing implements, you write magic runes with your intent and then things happen pretty much. It's pretty practical but it really does require an education of longer then the week long one you got to use safely. You hardly know any of the runes and since they all look very similar you are very likely to get things wrong. Good news is that you can still do a bit of magic without relying on runes, pushing a bit of air around and such but you aren't very good at that either since, well yeah, no real education in actually using magic.

But you can make do right?

You are in a very peaceful area at the moment. Criminals tend to stay away from the place with powerful mages who are just looking for an excuse to smack some heads together. You were told that if you go straight ahead on this road you'll reach the village of Tuan in less then half a day and if you follow it for about a week on foot you'll reach the large city of Tarnin. The road right goes into the woods and if followed further a small clump of mountains. If you go right you can get to Academy Lake. It's a large body of water that instructors use to train mages either when they need to be close to water or far away from land. Nothing lives in it near the academy since it gets repeatedly tossed around, frozen or filled with large amounts of dirt.

In your sack you currently have a piece of charcoal, 3 wrapped bread-meals, 7 copper coins and a glass flask. You were given tattered clothes and uncomfortable clay shoes as is the custom for students leaving the academy (normally once they have completed their training). Apparently it is meant to inspire you to earn your better clothes through work.

Well, time to start your adventure/life!

Spoiler: Author Notes: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:41:51 am by Evil Lincoln »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Walk your way to the nearest village. Surely the people there are in need of a mage.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just as a quick note. Can we take an inventory of our Inventory. What are those parcel things? Foodstuff? That Bottle thing? That Black Chunk of something? How Much coin do we have, what is it worth anyway???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile

Just as a quick note. Can we take an inventory of our Inventory. What are those parcel things? Foodstuff? That Bottle thing? That Black Chunk of something? How Much coin do we have, what is it worth anyway???
In your sack you currently have a piece of charcoal, 3 wrapped bread-meals, 7 copper coins and a glass flask. You were given tattered clothes and uncomfortable clay shoes...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

In your sack you currently have a piece of charcoal, 3 wrapped bread-meals, 7 copper coins and a glass flask. You were given tattered clothes and uncomfortable clay shoes...
I think he just pwnd you...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Awww dammit, how are we supposed to use wind magic effectively with WRITING?! I mean, earth or stone or life I can understand would work well with writing, but WIND? WTF people?!?

Sigh...

Alright, head to the next village while thinking over the runes you have learnt. What runes DO we know exactly and what are they supposed to do?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think he just pwnd you...
Meh its late at night, I am tired and I have been having a really really shitty week/month, my head isn't fully there to read alot of text...

EDIT:: WAIT A MINUTE!!!

\\Looks at Timestamps and Edit Timestamp\\

HEY!!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:32:14 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

We're wind mage. can't we write with the wind?
*cue Zelda: Wind Waker music*
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Ok, but how exactly do we do that as a beginner mage? We know next to nothing! Runes are difficult to learn and get right, and apparently untrustworthy if you get even a little detail wrong. WE ARE SCREWED.

Unless we can find a rune making mage of some kind, but I seriously dout any would waste their time with us.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile

\\Looks at Timestamps and Edit Timestamp\\

HEY!!!
It was there originally. I edited it because as I was quoting myself I noticed that I wrote chalk instead of charcoal.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

((Why did most agree with the name anyway? Went with wind, loved making the last name stem from the God of the West Wind.  :P))

But, writing?  :( Now we'll be inscribing runes on every item we have to make it better!

Gah, gloves. We could go with tracing in the wind for the same effect.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Walk to the village.
While travelling, practise manipulating the wind to catch your hair, you want to make an impressive entrance...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

CuRiSeeechun

• Bay Watcher
  • Available in 1 size!
    • View Profile

Walk to the village.
While travelling, practise manipulating the wind to catch your hair, you want to make an impressive entrance...
Only feasible thing to do.

I'd say, though, after we make our dramatic entrance to the village, we start trying to find a runic mage. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to try to find a teacher for us, right? So I'm thinking that is our first port of calling.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12