Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma and Miners don't Mix  (Read 700 times)

psikomonkie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magma and Miners don't Mix
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »

So, I had the bright idea today of making a giant magma-furnace/trap layer underneath my soon-to-be-built (Well, now not very soon...) Forge/Smelter floor. Unfortunately, I had the bright idea of having both my miners dig out two walls into the volcano at the same time, to speed the process. Well. Miner A got done first, and the volcano... Exploded. A puff of smoke and magma flew out from said hole, killing both my miners. This is gonna be a Fun game...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Magma and Miners don't Mix
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:51:50 pm »

Sounds like they mixed pretty well, the dwarves sound pretty dilute, though.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

psikomonkie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:57:54 pm »

Sounds like they mixed pretty well, the dwarves sound pretty dilute, though.

Well only one of them is dilute. The other is simply missing. The ghost of the dead one has showed up and is haunting... A patch of lava.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:08:35 pm »

About the title: Hello, Captain Obvious. Glad about your promotion.

About the topic: What did you EXPECT would happen?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lovecraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:06 pm »

Truly this is the revalation of a lifetime. We must alert the dwarvish high council of this magnificent discovery. Surely they will award you the golden beard for this signifigant scientific find. This may even blot out the discovery that elves are hippies.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:22:59 pm »

I think my scientific paper on how steel is the best armor material might overshadow psikomonkie's discovery some.

EDIT: And shush about CC, the High Council treats it as a myth and/or dangerous enough to be ignored.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »

This is why real dwarves pump magma rather than letting it flow around under its own power.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

psikomonkie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 09:35:09 pm »

Har har har. Last time I dug into the side of the volcano, the lava slowly came out, giving my dwarf more than enough time to get to safety. Regardless, a year later 49 dwaves showed up at once, so, 2 deaths isn't bad.