Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Load Times  (Read 534 times)

jemofthewest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Load Times
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:30:51 pm »

Just had a quick question.  I don't know if this belongs in the bug forum because I don't know if this is a bug...

How long does it normally take to load a game?  I've been waiting 15+ minutes for games to load (before giving up) and that seems a bit excessive to have to wait longer than that.  I first started playing (briefly) a few months ago and don't remember waiting this long to load a game...  I have DFHack and Mayday installed, I tried a new install without DFHack and am still having issues (I don't see how Mayday could effect it...)  Is 15+ minute loadtimes normal?  My computer is relatively new (1yr old, i5, 7200rpm harddrive, Windows 7, etc.) and don't see where the issue might be.  I'm also not sure how to tell whats going on in the background to see whats going on (I tried starting from command line but am not seeing anything).  If you need more info let me know...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Load Times
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »

no, that is not normal. Is it possible there is something wrong with the save or the game as it is on your computer?. Which DF version are you using?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:29:27 pm »

This is definitely a bit excessive. It shouldn't take more than a minute. If you are sure it is not a corrupted save there must be something wrong with your system. Lots of things could be wrong, we need a lot more information to help you. Check out what other processes are running on your computer (right-click the bottom bar in windows and select "job manager"). Repair your directory (CCleaner is a nice free program that does just that). Go to the windows/vista club and read what those guys there have to say, they helped to squeeze quite a few more fps out of my rig. If you tried all the tricks in their book (disabling Aero, remove stuff from your desktop etc.) and it still takes forever, reinstall windows.

But before you do that, check if your DF setup is okay: Download a new copy of DF, try your save on another computer, stuff like that. And if you are using Steam, check that it is not updating some big game in the background. Last week I had a sudden decrease in overall performance, and I went through all the tricks, but to no avail. Just before I decided to reinstall the whole lot, I checked Steam, and guess what: Steam had decided that now was the perfect time to download 20 gb updates without telling me. So now I have have a top-tuned system that can easily make 15 fps in my fort of 220 dorfs.

Reading your post again: I get more and more convinced that your save is corrupted.
DF: where imagination beats animation

jemofthewest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »

Ok so one of my saves was corrupted when I first started trying this... sorry to waste your time though, but all of my troubleshooting was for naught because I forgot it doesn't load automatically, you gotta press something to get it to load... after I figured that (when trying a base df game, no dfhack or mayday), I tried the original save and it didn't work but the other ones are working fine... *embarrassed* Thanks for the thoughts.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:47:08 pm »

Ok so one of my saves was corrupted when I first started trying this... sorry to waste your time though, but all of my troubleshooting was for naught because I forgot it doesn't load automatically, you gotta press something to get it to load... after I figured that (when trying a base df game, no dfhack or mayday), I tried the original save and it didn't work but the other ones are working fine... *embarrassed* Thanks for the thoughts.

lol, I tried that too: As a very young sound engineer I tried for hours to get a sound system to work, but I couldn't. I checked all the mics, all the cables, everything. In the end I had to call the emergency repair man. He arrived, went straight to the desk, and pressed the on/off button: "Anything else I can do for you?". Boy, was that embarrasing.... :P
DF: where imagination beats animation

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:35:03 am »

lol, I tried that too: As a very young sound engineer I tried for hours to get a sound system to work, but I couldn't. I checked all the mics, all the cables, everything. In the end I had to call the emergency repair man. He arrived, went straight to the desk, and pressed the on/off button: "Anything else I can do for you?". Boy, was that embarrasing.... :P

stuff like this happens with my mother all the time. All those jokes about people not plugging in the electricity and whatever, could have been my mother.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.