Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: i made a dwarf labor optimizer spreadsheet, i hope u check it out and upvote it  (Read 5385 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

Well... since reddit has been sucking with downages

File: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?7juy33e3xfe9u01

Tutorial: http://www.mediafire.com/?hqvc9lqlqs8na5i

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is kindof unofficial, dont you think? I mean, its just a page with poor grammer in the title and a link. If you want some support, then you might want to sound more official (im not sure why typing two more letters to say "you" is so hard for the people of the interwebs).

Though i have to say, it looks really nice and has my support, though seems kindof overly complicated for what it does comared to DT, and id rather just use it. Anywho, il be following your progress, and hopefully you can improve it and make it something alot of people use.

Also I think this belongs in the modding section :3
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:09:05 am by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is kindof unofficial, dont you think? I mean, its just a page with poor grammer in the title and a link. If you want some support, then you might want to sound more official (im not sure why typing two more letters to say "you" is so hard for the people of the interwebs).

Though i have to say, it looks really nice and has my support, though seems kindof overly complicated for what it does comared to DT, and id rather just use it. Anywho, il be following your progress, and hopefully you can improve it and make it something alot of people use.

Why do people hate 'u' so much?  I'm used to typing it cuz I'm on my phone.  Man...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

Because we're not prattling 12 year on aim.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Correct spelling and grammer are used to avoid epic level confusion and misunderstanding.  I had to read the first post on the reddit thread three times to understand what it was saying, and I'm still a bit confused by it.  Some of your sentences look like they are referring to formulae or program variables, until you read it again and figure out its just lazy spelling/typing.

If I can figure out what this sheet does, it might actually be useful to me since DT for linux didn't work for me last time I tried it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The reddit post is irrelevant since I included a video tutorial as well.

Wow, the epic level huh?

Jeez.  Finished all my english classes in college and the interwebs attacks me for grammar.

Btw, all my spelling is correct other than abbreviations like u and cuz (unlike some posters in this thread).  The grammar... well, I was using fragments (in a rush) because I was hoping the picture would be self evident along w the post I made.  Someone asked for an update and I sent one from my phone while lying in bed.

However, I figured the video tutorial was the best and final answer which I was hoping would have been adequate.

Anyways, grammar/spelling aside, judge it on its own merits, I do believe the method might be helpful in assigning labors more efficiently.  I asked for that to be reviewed, not anything else.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:12:07 am by thistleknot »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

If you took college-level English classes, show it. Sorry to be blunt.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

English wasn't one of my best subjects, but I don't need to show it on the internet.  I need to show it in college level papers where I take the time to do so.

If people on the internet are going to harp on each other for proper English (one of the most difficult languages to understand) and ignore the substance of the information someone is bringing to the table, those same people are just being ignorant and elitist.  How can we expect each other to be perfect English composer's?  The answer is, we can't.  We have to accept each other on our limited understanding of concepts...

If we're ever supposed to understand each other and listen to the things others understand and wish to share with us, we have to listen with the knowledge that no one knows everything and are not going to be perfect in the way they present it (i.e. listen to it on their own terms, not yours).  Instead, we should accept each others flaws and just listen without criticizing non point issues.

Which is my point, I was never bringing forth my English skills, I was bringing forth my spreadsheet skills and my video tutorial.

I'm not going to respond anymore to comments on my English, I only wanted to bring some information forward, if people don't care to look at the tutorial or the spreadsheet and just nit pic minor issues, then let them, they're the ones who are losing out on what I was hoping to share.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:35:35 pm by thistleknot »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyways...  I don't know what you mean by official?  It's just something I made, this is a DF discussion area.  I figured I'd discuss how I used spreadsheet's to make my labor assignments (using Dwarf Therapist) more efficient.  If you are saying that Dwarf Therapist is not official, and hence is why it belongs in the modding section, I can see your point.  However, the method described can still be used just as easily within Dwarf Fortress itself (albiet slower).

One doesn't have to use the role calculations that Splinterz version of Dwarf Therapist provides, instead they can just use the # to assign to each labor that my spreadsheet produces solely, to assign those labors within Dwarf Fortress (how I used to play without Splinterz version of Dwarf Therapist).

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want to discuss something, dont just slap a link in the post section, add some vague description in the title and a call it a day.

And dont assume everyone on this forums uses reddit or cares.
Many MANY things have been disccused to death and back and to death again here.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your thing judged on its own merits goes something like this.

• Reader clicks the link.
  • Reader reads the summary.
  • "Hmmm, this bears the stamp of approval of -- and was probably designed by -- someone who either is missing part of their brain, or just doesn't care.  I don't need to see any more."
  • Reader clicks close.
  • (optional) Reader comes back and points out that like it or not, your presentation counts, and it's sufficiently off-putting that the only merit anyone will notice is its connection to you, which is not a gold star for a job well done..
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• "Hmmm, this bears the stamp of approval of -- and was probably designed by -- someone who either is missing part of their brain, or just doesn't care.  I don't need to see any more."
  • Reader clicks close.
  • (optional) Reader comes back and points out that like it or not, your presentation counts, and it's sufficiently off-putting that the only merit anyone will notice is its connection to you, which is not a gold star for a job well done..

Pretty much. English spelling needs lots of reform but if you want credibility you need to follow the spelling rules. "Ur" and the like may come into acceptance in a few generations but certainly not now.

I hate to detract from a potential conversation about your optimizer. I have not yet had time to watch the video tutorial.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:57:28 pm by Viking »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• Reader clicks close.
For me, it was
  • Reader clicks link
  • reader attempts make sense of post
  • reader downloads spreadsheet, but doesn't bother with video link, assuming it will be just as disjointed/confusing as the OP
  • reader posts feedback to B12 thread
  • reader assumes from responses that OP isn't interested in his work being legible to others, so decides to not put more effort into figuring it out
By the way, your spreadsheet skills, while possibly being spectacular on a technical level, are just as disjointed as your posts.  You really don't seem to care about a sheet that other people can read without going through every cell and reverse engineering the formula and link layout.  I've played that game figuring out a much larger spreadsheet, and that with data I understood at a very detailed level, and I'm not bothering to put that much effort into this when its easier to use the vanilla interface in game.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The thing we're trying to get through to you, OP, is that the very first merit that gets our attention -- indeed, the first thing that makes us aware of this at all -- is you advocating for it.  You'll get better responses if you make that merit a strongly positive one.  Otherwise, they just aren't interested in seeing the rest of them.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2