Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idiot dwarf cancels build wall: Idiot dwarf occupying site. x20  (Read 2368 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay.  The dwarves-refuse-to-construct-anything-cattycorner quirk was bad.

This is making me want to take a sledgehammer to my PC in a fit of only-partially-mostly-hormonal rage.

How the fucking fuck does one fucking FIX this?

This is not an optional wall.  This is a Vital Ground Level Keep the Goddamned GCSs and FBs from tap-dancing up and down my motherfucking CENTRAL STAIRWAY* wall and every godforsaken time I try to build the fucking thing THE MOTHERLOVING PIG MOLESTING LITTLE IDIOTS STAND ON THE SQUARE WHERE THE WALL NEEDS TO BE AND THEN CANCEL BUILDING IT BECAUSE, GOD DAMN IT, THEY ARE TOO DUMB TO FUCKING MOVE.

What.  The.  Hell.

Designating a construction and then suspending it doesn't work here, because I CAN'T SUSPEND WHAT I NEED BUILT.

* Yes I know what people say about central stairways, but this bitch is secure.  WILL BE secure if THIS DAMN WALL GETS BUILT.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Idiot dwarf cancels build wall: Idiot dwarf occupying site. x20
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »

Cancel the construction and try again. Don't unpause between these two steps, lest a dwarf decide that now-free building material needs hauling.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:12:44 pm »

Cancel the construction and try again. Don't unpause between these two steps, lest a dwarf decide that now-free building material needs hauling.
Sometimes having that particular block/log hauled off helps, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:19:50 pm »

Already cancelled and redesignated construction several fucktymillion times now.

Tore down an adjacent constructed wall in hopes that the idiots would stand in that square instead.

Hauled off the offending blocks in hopes that new blocks would reset the process somehow.  (Block stockpiling is not and was not an issue--this is literally the first thing I'm doin' in this fort.  There is no stockpile, and this is the only designated and unbuilt structure using this kind of block: no chance of the block being designated for a structure elsewhere and thus blocking construction here.)

Have assigned the idiots to a temporary burrow adjacent to the "Construction nearly done" construction-unsuspended wall--they won't complete it.

Did all that before starting the thread.  >_>

And yeah, the square is not blocked off, either.  Empty space to the west, east, and north of where the stupid wall needs to be.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:21:24 pm by melomel »
7+7

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:25:23 pm »

Does it have a ramp in the tile? I've noticed those are more likely to cause construction idiocy issues.  Removing the ramp then designating a new wall for the spot sometimes helps.  Allowing all surrounding construction to complete first, canceling and then redesignating appears more reliable of a solution in my experience, oddly enough.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »

It happens to me a lot, especially if the dwarves suspended it partway through earlier. The only reliable method I've found to deal with it is to deconstruct the wall and have it rebuilt.
Just that section, don't worry.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:19 pm »

Skip the wall entirely, then. Get five mechanisms built and build a raising bridge that raises into the tile you're trying to build on.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 08:14:34 pm »

No ramp.  No web.  Yes, still 100% sure it is not a pet or stray, since there are only 12 animals in the whole stupid fort and none are pets and all are confined to a surface pen dozens of z-levels away.  No live cave spider or dead hamster is there.  Nothing hidden or forbidden.  The original offending block has been dragged off to make another wall elsewhere.  NO NOTHING IN THAT SQUARE.

Deconstruction-reconstruction has repeatedly fail to work and I absolutely refuse to use a stupid one- tile bridge BECAUSE I WANT A WALL THERE GOD DAMMIT AND THERE IS NO CONCEIVABLE REASON WHY THE WALL IS NOT BEING BUILT BESIDES THE FACT THAT EVERY TIME A DWARF ATTEMPTS TO BUILD THAT WALL, SAID DWARF WON'T FUCKING MOVE OUT OF ITS OWN STUPID WAY and I am fairly certain this stupid fuckup was caused by two dwarves constructing two adjacent walls simultaneously; the wall that was to the east of the Fucking Idiot Unwall was constructed first, the idiot dwarf that wanted to construct the idiot wall wanted to stand in the idiot east, got shunted to the square that needed to be occupied by the Idiot Wall, and HAS IDIOTICALLY REFUSED TO REPATH.  THE DWARF KEEPS STANDING WHERE IT IS BUILDING.  ("The Dwarf" is not the issue since I have tried it with three different idiots, including one idiot migrant that wasn't even in the fort when the issue popped up.)

I've noticed something similar, maybe, in using DFhack's autodump:  Squares can be permanently Fucked Up for No God Damned Reason FOREVER.  IE, designate a road to be built.  There are forbidden objects where the road needs to go.  Dwarves cancel building on those squares.  Forbidden objects are removed from those squares.  DWARVES STILL GOD DAMNED CANCEL BUILDING ON THOSE  SQUARES FOREVER AND UNTIL THE END OF FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING TIME (and it doesn't matter if you do every single fucking thing I have done in this case--I tried all of this THEN TOO) unless you manually drag some fucking item to each and every square so they can fucking haul SOMETHING away before building.

Salient difference:  No DFhack used here.  No, this is natural-born Stupid Pathing Tricks.
7+7

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 08:18:50 pm »

Try my idea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 08:29:31 pm »

It happens to me a lot, especially if the dwarves suspended it partway through earlier. The only reliable method I've found to deal with it is to deconstruct the wall and have it rebuilt.

That's the first thing I did.  I generally deconstruct/cancel every construction that gets suspended (except for special cases, like when building in watery areas).  I cancelled construction several bazillionty times.  I hauled off the original gneiss block and started over with a new gneiss block.  Then I cancelled construction ten more times and d>C>w'd another ten.  Didn't work.  =\

I am backing up my save folder, and saving the Inexplicably Fucking Fucked Game for posterity.

Will see if it is still Fucking Fucked after killing this DF and reloading.  If it is, then someone point me at an upload site so those wise in the way of Fucking Fuck-ups can poke at it, because I am not making this up.

Going to restart from my initial save.  It only just hit autumn, and the first wave of migrants were useless anyway.
7+7

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 08:34:12 pm »

DFFD. Specifically for uploads of DF-related files.

Edit: I have another idea. Use DFHack to put an obsidian wall where you want the wall to be, then use tiletypes to change it to the layer stone.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:42:13 pm by Sutremaine »

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »

I had this happen not too long ago and the only thing that fixed the very most stubborn case (Armok knows why) was cancelling the offender and removing all adjacent tiles of construction, then building the offender first, then rebuilding the stuff that had gone up successfully before.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 09:15:16 pm »

I have this same problem. The only way i know to deal with it is to BUILD EACH WALL SEGMENT INDIVIDUALLY over the course of months. Lotsa pausing and time wasting invovled. It is a micro-managment nightmare because i'm trying to build a wall on top of another wall and don't want to waste material to build a scaffolding.

I think somebody mentioned this was a bug and i hope to god that's right bcs, well who wants to build a wall 1 segmant at a fkin time. Walls are too useful for staff to ignore this bug.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5991
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:17:42 pm by Rafe »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 09:17:49 pm »

Removing the wall either west or south (or both) is what I've had to do for the really stubborn tiles.

I have not noticed an otherwise normal cancellation cause this kind of problem, however.  Its always been either they stand on the tile and cancel, or they don't.

Melomel, you might need to just take a break from the game for a few hours. :D  Known bugs can be frustrating, especially when they are inconsistently triggered like this one is.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 10:00:11 pm »

DFFD. Specifically for uploads of DF-related files.

Edit: I have another idea. Use DFHack to put an obsidian wall where you want the wall to be, then use tiletypes to change it to the layer stone.

Oh.  Well now.  You can do that?  All hail the chainsaw of cheats+logic.

I had this happen not too long ago and the only thing that fixed the very most stubborn case (Armok knows why) was cancelling the offender and removing all adjacent tiles of construction, then building the offender first, then rebuilding the stuff that had gone up successfully before.

Yeah, that's the first thing I tried...  Problem was, it didn't work.  Natural stone to the NW, NE, SE, S, SW; blank space to the west, north, an' south.  Dorf kept standing on top of the wall it was building, and then cancelling because it didn't move itself.

I have this same problem. The only way i know to deal with it is to BUILD EACH WALL SEGMENT INDIVIDUALLY over the course of months. Lotsa pausing and time wasting invovled. It is a micro-managment nightmare because i'm trying to build a wall on top of another wall and don't want to waste material to build a scaffolding.

I think somebody mentioned this was a bug and i hope to god that's right bcs, well who wants to build a wall 1 segmant at a fkin time. Walls are too useful for staff to ignore this bug.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5991

I have never, ever had this bug except for this one time, with this one tile.  If this happened with every wall tile I would probably be out murdering things instead of posting on forums.  D:

Removing the wall either west or south (or both) is what I've had to do for the really stubborn tiles.

I have not noticed an otherwise normal cancellation cause this kind of problem, however.  Its always been either they stand on the tile and cancel, or they don't.

Melomel, you might need to just take a break from the game for a few hours. :D  Known bugs can be frustrating, especially when they are inconsistently triggered like this one is.

Removing did absolutely nothing.  Forcing the dwarves to stand on adjacent tiles and ONLY adjacent tiles resulted in them ignoring the half-built wall completely.

Quitting the game and restarting it worked...  sort of.  Sometimes they cancel construction because they're standing on the same tile as the wall-they're-building again, but a couple of times, they've completed the wall--but only, and I do mean ONLY, while standing NE of it.  Is cattycorner (okay, ORTHAGONAL) construction a go in .11?
7+7
Pages: [1] 2