Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Training zone not training  (Read 2190 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Training zone not training
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 05:35:54 pm »

Try chaining animals, they won't be able to attack people even if hostile.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 06:08:04 pm »

Ok, thanks all :D I was trying to train a cave crocodile the other day but I didn't know how to... I took him out of the cage and pastured him. Didn't turn out well for the dwarf... My military got some experience though :3

Last time I tried this (with badgers, not cave crocs), here is what happened:

1) Badger is caged by a trap.
2) "Build" the cage with the wild badger still in it.
3) Assign an animal trainer.
4) Animal trainer brings meat; badger becomes "Semi-wild".
5) Time passes.  Badger reverts to wild.
6) Animal trainer brings more meat; badger becomes "Trained".
7) Assign badger to a pasture.  Badger is released from the cage and led to the pasture.  Unbuild the cage.
8) Badger training is reinforced periodically in the pasture; badger becomes "-Trained-".

This same pattern repeated with, I think, 3 or 4 separate badgers.  The only variation was that one of them became "+Trained+" instead of "-Trained-" in step 8.

My experience with animal training is minimal, though.  I don't know if an animal always becomes "Trained" or better on the second attempt (after reverting to wild and then re-training).  I don't know if an animal always becomes "Semi-wild" on the first attempt, and always reverts to wild.  I don't know how a temporary lack of meat would affect the results.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:12:14 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:07 pm »

My experience with animal training is minimal, though.  I don't know if an animal always becomes "Trained" or better on the second attempt (after reverting to wild and then re-training).  I don't know if an animal always becomes "Semi-wild" on the first attempt, and always reverts to wild.  I don't know how a temporary lack of meat would affect the results.
Having trained quite a few ravens, the answers to your questions/"I don't knows" are as follows:
1. Not always, it depends on your dwarves' animal training knowledge with that particular animal.
2. Animals do not always become semi-wild on the first training attempt - that could be due to the lack of knowledge that your dwarves have with animal training, or your animal trainers' lack of skill.
3. Temporary lack of meat or viable food would reduce the amount of training due to job cancellations - Urist McAnimalTrainer cancels Train Creature - No food.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 [2]