Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tales from the Fortress - Archive for DF stories  (Read 4614 times)

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales from the Fortress
Tales from the Fortress - Archive for DF stories
« on: June 28, 2012, 06:01:18 am »

Tales from the Fortress is a new site that allows you to share, read, rate and comment on stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

I created it with the goal of creating a site that people can be pointed to when they want to show someone why dwarf fortress is awesome. Plus they can also find guides and tutorials once they get hooked.

Feedback is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:30:02 pm by Lockyy »
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Now updated to include a DF2014 section!

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tales from the Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 06:54:24 am »

Here's a very good video tutorial for DF2010 -> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC1944506E041FE6E&feature=plcp

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:59:28 am »

I've heard of 51ppycup's tutorials before. I'll put it in there.
Thanks for that.
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 05:04:58 am »

Still after some good adventure mode guides if anyone has any.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:08:34 am »

Get a whip, throw fluffy wamblers, and put a few points into swimming.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Tales from the Fortress - Archive for DF stories
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:46:36 am »

Good luck finding the wamblers.

Check out the Community Games and Stories subforum.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:05:57 pm »

Just updated the site so you can sort by rating now.

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:28:57 pm »

Wow. I'm impressed. It looks nice. I would like a little more functionality though by implementing markdown or bbcode, which used on this site and is very common on forums and I bet a lot of people are familiar with. People on this site could actually just copy and paste what they've put here,in modify mode or you could just quote them and receive the bbcode text that way, and it would look pretty much the same.
This looks fairly straightforward: http://blog.zurka.us/simple-way-of-implementing-bbcode-with-php/ or maybe something more robust. Also, it's a bit hard on my eyes due to the lack of contrast between the text and the background.

Why is there a 4000 character limit?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:36:41 pm by Azrathud »

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:38:30 pm »

You make a very good point about the limit. I put that in at first because I didn't cut off on the main page and so didn't want super long stories filling up the front page. I'll remove the limit. Makes sense now that I cut off after 750 characters on the main page.

I do need to change the colour scheme a bit to make it more readable.
It's fine on the computer I developed it on, but people mentioned it and I looked on another monitor and it is a lot darker on there.
I need to play around with stuff, I tried to avoid the hard on the eyes effect due to my eyes always getting massively messed up whenever I read toady's blog for too long. White on black is far too painful.

I definitely do need to implement bbcode. Images are the main reason. They're absolutely essential to this sort of website. I'll need to get working on that now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:44:39 pm by Lockyy »

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 05:14:14 pm »

Okay:-

-Limit removed.
-Image tag implemented.

There is a bbcode php package that I used by the way. A much nicer way, thanks for the tips though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 05:40:06 pm »

Another tip: If possible, add Boatmurdered.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 05:51:44 pm »

Brilliant! Now just to find boatmurdered as one big long post.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 08:15:25 pm »

Heh. You...might need to do a few copy-pastes...
EDIT: Maybe you should break it up into separate stories, by turns, half-turns, or seasons, depending on how verbose the player was that turn.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:22:44 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 03:01:03 am »

Heh. You...might need to do a few copy-pastes...
EDIT: Maybe you should break it up into separate stories, by turns, half-turns, or seasons, depending on how verbose the player was that turn.

I don't see the problem with adding boatmurdered as one long post as long as some nice formatting is done, perhaps with anchors so parts can be bookmarked.

Okay:-

-Limit removed.
-Image tag implemented.

There is a bbcode php package that I used by the way. A much nicer way, thanks for the tips though.

You're welcome. What are you using exactly?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 03:38:43 am »

I'm not sure what benefits this is supposed to have over DF Stories? Right now it has less utility since it doesn't have handy a sidebar. You should try to differentiate this and surpass the competition if at all possible. And naturally, the folks behind DF Stories should do similar.

Also, if you're gonna include stories in "greentext" format, you ought to work the code such that they actually become a different color.

On another note there should be some way to associate related storie.

I believe the folks behind it don't like it shared outside of specific hosts.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:54:49 am by Cruxador »
Pages: [1] 2