Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarfs are amazing at identifying things  (Read 2788 times)

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs are amazing at identifying things
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:45:54 pm »

Dwarfs are amazing at identifying things. For example, a one-humped camel bone bolt. How do they know the bone isn't from a two-humped camel? Amazing!

Or a pool of female dog blood. How do they know it's from a female just by looking at it? Amazing!

Dwarfs should get a job with CSI since they are so good at identifying things!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs are amazing at identifying things
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:12:57 pm »

You have to think about what a dwarf sees most often.  They encounter so much death and blood every day that they must be able to tell where it came from at a glance.

"Hey Urist, you seen this blood puddle?"
"Oh, yeah.  Giant penguin, from the smell of it.  Looks to be a male, about four years old, at a guess."
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:20:59 pm »

The symbiotic creatures known as beards that live on diminuitive humanoids fond of drink and industry are obviously able to sample and catalogue DNA.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:25:48 pm »

This week on CSI: Boatmurdered...

Catten: What do we know about the victim?
Urist: Seems like he went insane, cut a swath through the dining hall and into the booze stockpile. And Catten.... he was on fire the whole time.
Catten: Well, I suppose in DF...

8)

If you booze, you lose.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:27:46 pm by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:59:48 am »

In a similar case, bookkeepers develop psychic abilities and can see into the future.

Which annoys me. I mean, if he knew how much goblinite was coming next year, and in the future, couldn't he have made a list for me so I'd know what to expect?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 07:47:56 am »

And yet they still can't see fire.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:51:54 am »

I don't understand why people keep saying that bookkeepers can see into the future? What do you mean? Like, you'd see iron weapons in the stock screen before an invasion comes in carrying all those weapons? I've never seen anything like that before...
Feeling down? Click Here!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:44:23 am »

I don't understand why people keep saying that bookkeepers can see into the future? What do you mean? Like, you'd see iron weapons in the stock screen before an invasion comes in carrying all those weapons? I've never seen anything like that before...
I suppose they mean that you can see the equipment on the invaders, but that's not in the future in my experience.  It's the same as seeing the stuff on the caravans in your inventory.  The stuff is on the map.  It's just not yours.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 10:34:31 am »

And yet they still can't see fire.
They avoid it now. Due to circumstances, I had a migrant on an area of land with a rapidly-spreading fire on it. The dwarf kept stepping out of the way of the fire as it approached before finally stepping down a level and (by chance) avoiding the fire entirely.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:21:47 am »

Dwarfs are amazing at identifying things. For example, a one-humped camel bone bolt. How do they know the bone isn't from a two-humped camel? Amazing!

Or a pool of female dog blood. How do they know it's from a female just by looking at it? Amazing!

Dwarfs should get a job with CSI since they are so good at identifying things!

Well, they don't have reference material to consult so they're bound to identify and memorize everything around. They also don't have any other distractions like advertising.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 11:25:14 am »

Get a bookkeeper, get them to highest precision, then kill them. Now you have no bookkeeper. When a goblin siege next comes, check your stocks screen; you'll see that your bookkeeper perfectly cataloged the goblins' equipment, since you can see the exact number and type of every piece of goblinite. Except that he would've had to do it before he died, so therefore he must've been able to tell what the goblins were going to bring before they actually did so, therefore he must've been able to know exactly what was going to happen in the future, therefore bookkeepers are psychic. Quot erat demonstratum.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:23 am »

I suppose they mean that you can see the equipment on the invaders, but that's not in the future in my experience.  It's the same as seeing the stuff on the caravans in your inventory.  The stuff is on the map.  It's just not yours.

If/when your bookkeeper dies, and the settings were set to perfect, they will stay updated even if you don't appoint a new bookkeeper, at least, that's what happened before. The theory was that the bookkeeper gained superdwarven prescience and left messages on future stock levels, which would include that he knows exactly how many goblins I will kill next year, and the year after, since he has added their remains to the books that yet have to be opened

ninja'd
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »

don't you know every time a legendary book keeper die's a new soul is added to the forums.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 02:17:36 pm »

don't you know every time a legendary book keeper die's a new soul is added to the forums.

so if I want new people I should kill bookkeepers, that's ok with me, anything but people like loud whispers ;D

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 11:34:32 pm »

In a similar case, bookkeepers develop psychic abilities and can see into the future.

Which annoys me. I mean, if he knew how much goblinite was coming next year, and in the future, couldn't he have made a list for me so I'd know what to expect?

Yeah, I think this comic explains why that doesn't happen.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
Pages: [1] 2