Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do monsters all spawn at ground level on the edge of the map?  (Read 780 times)

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do monsters all spawn at ground level on the edge of the map? Due to very high wilderness values, my fort gets a lot of monsters coming in. A lot of them can fly.

I was thinking that if I built a floor one level up from ground level all around the fort from the outside of the wall to the edge of the map, then if monsters spawn at ground level, all the flying monsters won't be able to fly through the floor above them. They will have to try to walk through the gatehouses which contain soldiers, if they want to get into the fort.

I was also thinking about building the wall all the way up to the top of the sky to keep fliers out, and the dwarfs are currently building a roof over the outside area inside the wall.

Will building a roof over the part of the map outside the wall control fliers and stop them from flying up and down? Or will they just spawn on top of the next level up, on the constructed floor?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Do monsters all spawn at ground level on the edge of the map?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:48:13 am »

interesting theory

I think they spawn on the ground. At least giant sparrows and such always do. In a mod it might be different, but probably not. If you have a large map and a small fort though, it may be easier to put a roof over your fort. After all, the only reason not to do that is if you use windmills.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:06:17 am »

interesting theory

I think they spawn on the ground. At least giant sparrows and such always do. In a mod it might be different, but probably not. If you have a large map and a small fort though, it may be easier to put a roof over your fort. After all, the only reason not to do that is if you use windmills.
My map is only 3x3, so I'm roofing inside the wall now. After that, I'll roof over one edge of the map and check regularly for new monster spawns to see if they are on that edge, and if they are on the ground or on the roof. If they all spawn on the ground, I'll roof over the whole outside the wall area.

A related question, if you have a wall it makes a floor on the level above. If you build a floor on top which butts up to the top edge of the wall, but doesn't go over the wall, is there a diagonal gap, or does the floor connect to the wall-floor next to it with no gap?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:12:45 am »

no gap
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:32:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work. If you build a floor above the ground on the edge of the map, monsters can spawn on that floor. I built a floor 2 wide along the north edge, and I think I saw giant opossums and porcupine men that must have spawned up there. They can't fly.

So I think I'll put a support under that floor, cut off the catwalks, and then dump the floor on some goblins when they turn up. How far does cave-in dust travel?

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 01:24:09 am »

You can't build a wall right up to the top of the sky can you?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:51:34 am »

I think you can.

wouldn't a roof be more practical though? or you don't want to miss out on the rain?

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:20:33 am »

I think you can.

wouldn't a roof be more practical though? or you don't want to miss out on the rain?

I already built a roof over inside the wall, but flying monsters can still fly over it. I think the problem was that I was trying to build an up-down stair on the top level and it wouldn't let me. So I'm going to build a wall that goes all the way to the top of the skyyyyy!!!