Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Vampire hunting  (Read 12340 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire hunting
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 07:23:37 am »

I'd go with were creatures.

That said, I hate vampires with a vengeance, so you'll probably need someone else's opinion too. Although the whole "needing to live off Dwarf blood" thing is a big dampener on militant vampires. Plus, were creatures gain attributes.
Which carry on through transformations.
One of my Dwarves has become unbelievably great at healing due to injuries sustained in civet form.
The only downside really to military were creatures is the difficulty in making them I guess. With vampires all you need is the ways to make a well of unlife.
Were creatures you have to get them to fight in the goldilocks zone. Not too deadly and not too friendly.

In short
Vampires = Instant militia, good short term (also good long term if you have plenty of kids)
Were creatures = Pre-meditated murder in a box, good long term

But miss just one month with a legendary were creature, and may armok have mercy on your soul
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 09:10:53 am »

But miss just one month with a legendary were creature, and may armok have mercy on your soul
I guess that's also another thing. Losing track of a vampire = one death
Losing track of a werebeast = ???
And werebeasts put up a helluva fight. Moreso military ones. Though you only have to hold out till the full moon's over, so it's not that bad.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 10:59:55 am »

In the units list (NOT view units):

"on break" <- normal slacker, ok (dark cyan spore tree color)
"on break" <- FEEDING VAMPIRE (light cyan microline color)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 11:38:28 pm »

It's that simple? Wow...

will it show this before it's got hold of a victim, or will it turn that colour only when it is feeding? I have doors on all my bedrooms, so I can just lock all the sleeping dwarves in to stop the vampire gaining access to them
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 11:41:33 pm »

It's that simple? Wow...

will it show this before it's got hold of a victim, or will it turn that colour only when it is feeding? I have doors on all my bedrooms, so I can just lock all the sleeping dwarves in to stop the vampire gaining access to them
They do it as soon as they go into "find food" mode, or too make it more accurate, when they turn N creature.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 09:59:27 am »

They do it as soon as they go into "find food" mode, or too make it more accurate, when they turn N creature.
They only go N creature (with accompanying dark red text in the unit list and description change) once they start feeding. If they're going "on break" when they go into 'find food' mode, then that implies they do it once they decide to go bite someone. I think feeding might be considered a job by the game given its colour, but it's called On Break intead of Suck Blood to throw off the player.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 11:29:34 am »

I had to let my vampire bookkeeper out of his sealed chambers this past season.  He had been locked up for roughly 4 years at that point, but came down with a case of "strange mood".  I locked his office door, removed the constructed walls, unlocked his office door and he immediately toddled off to claim a mason's workshop.

(It took him a long time to haul all that stone.)

Afterwards, I figured he'd have to feed, but instead he went on a normal "on break".  I quickly assigned him to a burrow inside his office, he walked back, and I sealed him back in.

He never fed, even though he had the chance as soon as he had finished his artifact hatch cover and it had been roughly 4+ years since his last feeding.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 12:57:36 pm »

It's that simple? Wow...

Yeah, the moment someone in the fort is sleeping, all the thirsty vampires around will go "on break" and run towards the sleeping person. It's like a different version of the dwarven sock radar.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 11:42:19 am »

Nice find!  I let my population get away from me and now I'm at 160+ dwarves.  I wasn't looking forward to clicking through all of them.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2012, 03:23:24 pm »

A rather "obvious" vampire:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All the history kind of gives it away.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2012, 03:37:44 pm »

Build a drowning chamber and test the purity of each dwarf. The ones that die are innocent the ones that live you must kill.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2012, 06:37:09 pm »

Build a drowning chamber and test the purity of each dwarf. The ones that die are innocent the ones that live you must kill.

WITCH HUNT!!!!

As to the "obvious" vampire, I've never played with a history long enough for something like that to appear.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2012, 09:07:37 pm »

like the old test for witches. If they float, off with their heads, if they drown...

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2012, 09:08:00 pm »

That was a typical large region run, fortress was founded in 1051.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 05:59:45 pm »

Had another one show up in the last migration.  The giveaways were:

- Long dark blue history text in the (v)-(z)-(enter) screen
- (4) pages of skills in the (v)-(g) screen (which made him stand out in Dwarf Therapist)
- (101) total skill levels, which would not stand out much in a mature fort as I have dwarves in the 75-100 range
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4