Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Evil? what evil?  (Read 5004 times)

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
Evil? what evil?
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:53:52 pm »

I tough: oh, i'm playing a while, it is time for a challenge.
So, i tried my first evil biohome. i embark and think get these Dwarfies in the ground!
And i build my fort, as always, and after two seasons, i still haven't seen any difference from a normal biohome.
What is happening?  ( it is a Sinister one.)

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil? what evil?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:05:54 pm »

Have you killed/slaughtered anything? I think they're supposed to reanimate in evil/sinister biomes.
There should be some evil clouds creeping into your region here and there, along with evil/undead animals.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:07:48 pm »

Nothing of these things, but i have heard that not all the evil biomes have all these features.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:14:11 pm »

Nothing of these things, but i have heard that not all the evil biomes have all these features.

They don't.

If you're looking for !!FUN!!, look in a terrifying biome. Also, try to get grey trees, which i believe denotes undead trees. I may be wrong, though.
And, if you can, try to make sure it's a swamp.
For extra dwarfpoints, make sure it has an aquifer everywhere. ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:15:44 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:22:54 pm »

it is a Sinister one.
All sinister adds is mist/rain (I think) and higher monster spawns, no zombies, or anything like that, those only appear in terrifying biomes.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:32:59 pm »

Is there anything you do that can help discern what sort of weather you have? I've heard stories of people getting evil clouds that turn anything caught in them into husks, but all I seem to get is blood rain, which is really disappointing.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:40:52 pm »

Evil Biomes 'Can' have extra features but not always.

@Waffle - Sinister Biomes can allow for undead to roam around - view my failed Glacier Embarks for an example of this where some undead Ice Wolves make for some !fun! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqGLi-P1njE&feature=bf_next&list=PL5CE074F53B8AF152

Bit after 13:50 you will see mention of undead Ice Wolves in the Other's list. (You can check the others too of the glacier's in my third playlist - in one of them the Ice Wolf Corpses do me in rather then the aquifer.

The only difference between a sinister and a terrifying biome is that terrifying biomes have giant, animal man version, and savage specific animals I believe.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 01:42:30 pm »

Is there anything you do that can help discern what sort of weather you have? I've heard stories of people getting evil clouds that turn anything caught in them into husks, but all I seem to get is blood rain, which is really disappointing.

As far as I know, just wait for it to spawn and hope for the best.

Terrifying biomes also help.
Terrifying biomes are where it's at.

EDIT:
The only difference between a sinister and a terrifying biome is that terrifying biomes have giant, animal man version, and savage specific animals I believe.

Seriously?
They always seem more generally hostile to me...
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 04:25:13 pm »

Also try to get an embark with multiple overlapping terrifying biomes. This can double or triple your fun.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:00 pm »

So, i tried my first evil biohome. i embark and think get these Dwarfies in the ground!
And i build my fort, as always, and after two seasons, i still haven't seen any difference from a normal biohome.
What is happening?  ( it is a Sinister one.)

Be careful what you wish for

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 05:46:44 pm »

I've been having insane amounts of trouble embarking in any evil regions.

I got an embark like this, but eventually it was apparent that corpses were rising from death and skeletal barn owls were present.

How do you guys get your migrants in the door without all the critters coming in?

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 08:19:13 pm »

Early on there is only 2 ways to handle your Migrants

Safe Way -

Getting Migrants in without getting the critters in.

Step 1, Build Slabs at the Mason's Workshop
Step 2, Engrave Slabs at the Craftdwarf's Workshop
Step 3, Build Memorals

Gambling Way -

Step 1, Open the door

Later on you might be able to use your military or traps or whatever to to safely allow them in but that's obviously much later.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 09:17:21 pm »

Create a sort of airlock?

Dig a long tunnel, that opens up to the surface, and place bridges at either end, and designate some point in it as a meeting area. When migrants arrive, open the surface bridge, and they'll go to the meeting area. If they make it in, close the surface bridge, open the inner bridge and success!

If enemies make it in and kill them, well, bad luck I suppose, maybe have a way of filling it with water or magma with a way to flush that out too. So you can clean it up in case of a breach.
You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:31 pm »

Sinister doesnt do much. Try a Terrifying area.
And good luck finding any wormy tendrils or staring eyeballs, all I get is Glumprogs.

How do you guys get your migrants in the door without all the critters coming in?
Roads with walls and on the sides help if you wanna bunker.
Cage traps all over the entrance, with marksdwarf support.
If you dont have a roof over your head the zombie barn owl men will get in regardless of what you do. Even having their wings rotted to the bone doesnt remove their flight abilites.

Usually its best to have a little patch of normal savage biome that you can use where things can die when they are killed and STAY DEAD.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:34:20 pm »

Oh wait cage traps, I totally forgot. I'll just need a lot of cages. Undead zoo anyone?

Also my most recent embark was full of wormy tendrils and staring eyeballs. They are tough to find.
Pages: [1] 2