Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nobody will manage the damn fort!  (Read 3046 times)

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobody will manage the damn fort!
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:11:49 pm »

No matter who i assign to be the manager doesnt do shit! ive given him his own office and everything and ive tried a handful of dorfs but theyre all useless bastards apparently

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody will manage the damn fort!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:29:37 pm »

I suppose my first question would be what are you expecting the manager to do?

Having a manager allows you to assign work orders through the jobs screen, Also it unlocks workshop profiles, which is a nice way to ensure your legendary masons make furniture while your novice masons make blocks. To be honest, managers don't do much else.

Were you thinking your manager would do something significant to help your fortress?
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:39:26 pm »

I didnt realize how vague i was being haha. well i made a bunch of work orders of stuff i wanted made but nobody will go and validate those things

edit: now he decided to start doing his job for whatever reason. mission accomplished?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:46:35 pm by Noodler13 »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:55 pm »

Isn't "manage workorders" somewhere down near "bring home wounded" and "trade for food before we starve to death" on the priority list?  He was probably performing that high priority task "Observe a well made table", "Get a raw fish to eat" or "Sleep" instead.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:43:16 pm »

Maybe i should get some ritalin from the next caravan

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:59:32 pm »

Pick somebody with high self-discipline and/or assign them to a burrow with access only to their office, food, and their room. That should cut down on useless breaks.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 09:26:47 pm »

Assign a squad or two to attack him; don't kill him though, just a broken leg or two will do. Send him a message through the universal dwarf fortress language: pain.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 09:50:27 pm »

Assign a squad or two to attack him; don't kill him though, just a broken leg or two will do. Send him a message through the universal dwarf fortress language: pain.

You can't tell your dwarfs to attack other dwarfs under your control. You'll need to get creative if you want to cause pain.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Olivine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 01:06:03 am »

I have noticed that if you assign a new manager after creating a jobs list they won't do anything about managing them until you add another instruction to it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 11:20:10 am »

You can't tell your dwarfs to attack other dwarfs under your control. You'll need to get creative if you want to cause pain.
1x1 cellblock.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »

I always remove all jobs from my manager, mayor and broker. So they will be idle 90% of the time and actually get off thier butts to do their jobs.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 01:22:05 pm »

Don't forget the Bookkeeper, at least if he's not one of the first three.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 01:25:30 pm »

Don't forget the Bookkeeper, at least if he's not one of the first three.
Bookkeeper/Manager is the way to go, it minimizes the time he spends idle.  I also use manager for production where speed isn't an issue so much as total quantity.  (when I want to produce weapons for a trap hallway without microing them)  I never make my broker the manager/bookkeeper as when merchants are in town updating the records or work orders is SUDDENLY THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER.  I tend to overlap the Chief Medical and broker unless I get a nice broker merchant.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 01:32:06 pm »

How much do appropriate attributes matter for a manager and/or a bookkeeper?  I got a sealed fortress with only the original 7 to work with until 12 years after they start making kids, and I'm thinking make one of the woodworkers do the job since they don't have much else to do right now, but their attributes really suck for it.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 02:22:02 pm »

I don't think it matters much, but I've noticed in splinterz' DT branch that some of the dwarves who are good at management tend to be terrible with manual labor and vice versa.  So you can put a non-critical dwarf in manangement and bookkeeping and it should work out.

Actually, what I do is once I get the big early migrant wave, I go through the useless haulers see who's suited for management, and see which has the least annoying preferences.  This dwarf becomes the new expedition leader/manager, someone who isn't needed for an important job and who won't mandate annoying shit or forbid exports of key trade goods.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: [1] 2