Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How often does this happen?  (Read 6621 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
How often does this happen?
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:51:31 pm »

I just managed to skip cavern levels 1+2 and breach 3. 3 has adamantine in it. I still have like 15 dwarves.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: How often does this happen?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:54:07 pm »

Are you sure you just haven't hit cavern layer 1 with adamantine in it?

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:58:00 pm »

I have nether-cap, goblin-cap, spore trees, tunnel tubes, and no fungiwood or tower cap. Also, emeralds. I don't know how to post a pic, so no pic.
My tumblr.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »

Hmph. It's likely you happened to have low openness caverns, or maybe you were just really lucky with your digging designations. It's pretty uncommon to dig through all the way to layer three without bumping into at least one of the others first.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 05:02:08 pm »

The red number at the side of my screen says 108, so I'm guessing it's the latter one.

EDIT: I have 12 dwarves, not 15.

EDIT2: How do I quickly zoom to something without using anouncements, and should I go for the adamantine and witness my first !!FUN!!?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:21:34 pm by Slayerhero90 »
My tumblr.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »

Hotkeys can allow you to zoom someplace. Also, what does your sig say?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »

How do I assign hotkeys?

Also, my sig just says something in the language I created in 8th grade.
My tumblr.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 08:05:59 pm »

[H] to open the hotkey menu.  Use the function keys to select which one you want to use, [n] to name the spot in the hotkey menu, and [z] to have it zoom to the spot you are currently viewing when you press the selected function key.  By default F1 zooms to the wagon and is named "Gate".
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 08:29:20 pm »

I once got down to SMR in one 1x1 stairway. Considering the idea was to map out the caverns and magma sea before deciding where to dig, I was not amused.

The caverns themselves have something of a regular shape, almost like the distribution of pit tiles but reversed in placement. They tend to narrow before leaving the map, and this narrowing is repeated in every 48x48 section of the embark. If you're digging at the intersection of four of these, then you're more likely to keep hitting rock.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 09:33:10 pm »

It's a rarity, and usually a welcome one; it means I can just about plan the entire fort, top-to-bottom, around a single staircase. Just happened in my most recent fort, minus the cotton candy.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 12:09:54 pm »

Thanks for the help. The most helpful AND psychotic forum there is. Anyway, I'm working at the adamantine. This is a reclaim, so I managed to get my legendary engraver from my original starting seven. With luck, I'll get a lot of strange moods and fulfill them all, like last time.

I also have a fishery worker that came here with nerve damage in his leg. I think he might have been from the loyalty cascade, as well.

Also, olivine + serpentine snake megaproject under way in addition to cinnabar+lead catacombs. Cinnabar, cobalt, microcline, or brimstone eyes?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:44:58 pm by Slayerhero90 »
My tumblr.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 02:21:49 pm »

I usually dig out a small temporary fort and then send one miner digging a staircase straight down, so I usually hit magma before the end of spring. I've had a few forts where I got down to magma or SMR without hitting a cavern, but it's pretty unusual.

It's a mixed blessing. On the one hand. you now have a nice, tidy stairway down with no jogs to avoid the cavern. But on the other hand, you still don't know where the caverns are, so you can't just start digging out your fort because you don't want to be digging a 20x20 dining hall and have it run into a cavern when it's half done. So you need to start digging out some exploratory tunnels to find the caverns before getting too much farther along.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 02:26:01 pm »

I once got down to SMR in one 1x1 stairway. Considering the idea was to map out the caverns and magma sea before deciding where to dig, I was not amused.

Well, on the bright side, you did find a good spot for a pumpstack or central staircase.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 02:29:04 pm »

Well, on the bright side, you did find a good spot for a pumpstack or central staircase.

That's assuming he didn't miss each cavern by one space. I wouldn't start digging out that pumpstack until I searched around and found out where exactly the caverns are.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 02:44:58 pm »

I don't know how to use a pump stack. :'(
My tumblr.
Pages: [1] 2 3