Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Reaver American Unity Empire: A LP of Darkest Hour: Fallout Mod  (Read 10603 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reaver American Unity Empire: A LP of Darkest Hour: Fallout Mod
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 04:02:37 pm »

Guess we have to knock some enclave heads around for that sort of technology then?

Also:

(being the Eastern BOS, they are willing to give us their secret technological knowledge for a tidy sum of caps ringpulls).
Fixed :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 04:09:25 pm »

Guess we have to knock some enclave heads around for that sort of technology then?

Since we're at war with Enclave, I can assure you that someday, all their bases will belong to us (and their science teams too)!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 12:03:24 am »

Here is a tech that I feel provides little benefit, but as the Reaver leader am obligated to research:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, why do I feel that implants are generally worthless?

Because they make my land units take 5 more days to produce, while only giving my land units an extra 2 attack.  Granted, they boost toughness and defensiveness, but those are useless stats (to quote something I read: "toughness and defensiveness only determine how long it takes your units to lose").  I would never make that trade if it were offered as a unit attachment.

Still, I love the pic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 12:06:36 am »

I'd really think they'd be more useful, seeing as in the Fallout games mechanical implants are some of the most useful things you can buy. (See: Monocyte Breeder and Sub-Dermal Armor)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 12:10:17 am »

If it takes longer for our troops to lose, it means they're in the fight longer. And the more troops we have in the fight, the more our foes shall bite the dust.

Not to mention it seems to boost IC efficiency a bit, though I could be wrong about that.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:15 am »

If it takes longer for our troops to lose, it means they're in the fight longer. And the more troops we have in the fight, the more our foes shall bite the dust.

Not to mention it seems to boost IC efficiency a bit, though I could be wrong about that.

Oh, it does boost IC a tiny bit, but with 100 IC, which is far more than probably any other faction, it's not as significant as it would have been earlier.

Combat doesn't seem to work the way that you think.  "Takes longer to lose" means that it only helps when we won't be winning the fight, and basically just delays the inevitable.

I'd really think they'd be more useful, seeing as in the Fallout games mechanical implants are some of the most useful things you can buy. (See: Monocyte Breeder and Sub-Dermal Armor)

Considering the boost to toughness and defensiveness, I'm sure Combat Implants encompasses Sub-Dermal Armor.  The problem really isn't the upgrade, but rather the upgrade in conjunction with this particular combat system.  It's probably not as bad as I think, but it's not the tradeoff I really wanted.  My prefence for boosters is always: More attack, less time, less cost.

Now, we're about to go to war with the Huns and the Mutants.  As stated, my industrial capacity is probably higher than anyone else's, and I have all five research teams.  I also have severe transportion shortages.  However, I certainly could use the extra industrial capacity: I've just unlocked the ability to make nuclear reactors, and I'm hoping to build an airforce and a navy (my navy currently consists of three motorboats).

EDIT: Enclave has 60 IC, Polar Station Zeta has 30, Reavers have 100.  Like I said, IC isn't as important as it used to be.  However, Mexican Raiders and West BOS each have roughly 60 or more IC, and they are currently fighting each other.  The victor of their little war could likely control more IC then I.  Thankfully, I am currently at war with neither of these southern powers.

So, should I be seeking to annex or puppet the Huns and the Mutants?

Oh, and fun fact: The mutants have an airforce!  Granted, it's only one air unit, but I'm quite curious to see what it is.

Guess which game mutants in biplanes reminds me of?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 08:13:55 am »

Warhammer 40K? I'm also reminded of the opening of Arcanum with the half-ogre planes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 03:10:26 pm »

Warhammer 40K? I'm also reminded of the opening of Arcanum with the half-ogre planes.

WE HAVE A WINNER!

I was really looking for a picture of that scene to showcase the Mutant Airforce, but couldn't find one.

In related news, I allied with Vault City, and am now at war with the Mutants and Huns.  Unfortunately, the Mutants never used their airforce, and with their only airbase under Reaver control, they probably never will.

As you can see, the war is going well:

Unless anyone advises otherwise, I'll probably annex both the Mutants and the Huns.  They each have around 30 factories, and I'm a little nervous of the southern powers.  Plus, the relative uselessness of our allies in this and all other wars cautions me against favoring more allies over more industrial capacity.  Although, I could always demand control of the Mutant and Hun armies...

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 01:36:54 am »

Question of the mod... once you have the (former) US under control, are there also powers out in the other parts of the world? Since the Fallout series generally only deals with locations in the US, I was wondering how that was handled.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 01:42:22 am »

It would be rather difficult to portray areas outside the US. The only non-Americans shown in Fallout are Tenpenny, from post-apocalyptic Britain, and a staggeringly large number of Chinese infiltrators. I'd laugh at the Pre-War America paranoia over the Red Menace if not for the constant presence of....well, the Red Menace.

Seriously, they even left enough of their manuals just laying around that there are plenty to find after the nuclear war.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 02:14:12 am »

Question of the mod... once you have the (former) US under control, are there also powers out in the other parts of the world? Since the Fallout series generally only deals with locations in the US, I was wondering how that was handled.

The pictures that I've posted at max zoom basically show the entire playable map.  It's limited to North America and a few isolated islands (not even including Hawaii!).

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 08:17:15 pm »

We do have the Aleutian islands though. The FODD map is in currently need of a serious overhaul, sadly.

That being said, the Aleutian islands are a paaaiiiin. The Enclave loves those islands, and stacking dozens upon dozens of divisions there. Meaning they're invincible. Literally.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 11:56:32 pm »

Luckily, I've started on atomic research.  One of those Kansas Ghoul tech teams I captured seems to know an awful lot about those sort of things.

Main reason I haven't continued is that I can't make up my mind between grabbing 36 IC by annexing the Mutants or obtaining my own personal Mutant Army by puppeting and demanding military control from them.

If I attack with my own forces and forces from a country that I have military control over, are those forces treated seperately for maximum attacking force purposes?

If so, I'd probably favor adding the Mutant Army to my own, as a major limitation is force size.

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 09:36:08 am »

No they don't, I'm afraid. Force size is calculated for all units participating in a fight altogether. Meaning it can result in situations where one of your non-allies and you are fighting in a same battle under the same commander.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 06:11:54 pm »

Funny thing: I was making such a big deal about the decision of whether to annex or puppet the Mutants and the Huns, but in reality there was no decision, as my ally Vault City started those wars, and only Vault City could end them for the alliance without annexation.  So I annexed both powers, because as my Save Game title indicates: Reavers Claim All!

I've decided that due to my power, I might as well declare victory and end this LP.  Granted, taking out the Enclave within the time limits might be a challenge, but there is no way they could contest my dominance of the mainland.  Other than that, I doubt any power could stop my glorious alliance.

Now, if anyone thinks I haven't essentially won this game, I'd be eager to have reasons to continue.  But it only looks like mop up to me.

Final results:

Map:

Note that the shown IC is not accurate because this is immediately after conquering the Hun and the Mutants.  Once the captured IC is repaired, another 50 or so IC would be added to the shown figure.

Tech:

And yes, we have combat implants.  Too bad I never created my "Public Security Section 9" unit that I was planning (High-Tech Scout Unit that paradrops from Improved Zeppelin).   :P

Three Alliances Victory Summary:
Pages: 1 [2] 3