Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Umm... what? Where's the flux?  (Read 3444 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Umm... what? Where's the flux?
« on: June 24, 2012, 02:55:08 am »

Ok, so i updated to the latest version of DF, 34.11 or whatever, and created a new world... Materials everwhere... Yes out of all 289 sites, there is not a single one with flux stones... This has to be a bug with the world gen right?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Umm... what? Where's the flux?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:08:24 am »

Possibly a bug with the site finder. What sort of numbers did you use to generate your world? And do you have DFHack installed?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 03:17:56 am »

Hmm, I do have to say I've noticed something similar.

I've been using the same PerfectWorld schematic to gen my worlds for a while now, on account of it having lots of everything I like, but on the past 3 genned worlds since .11 I haven't seen any sedimentary flux. I've seen plenty of marble and plenty of sedimentary biomes with non-flux stone, but never any proper flux.

Didn't give much thought to it, but I don't remember the stuff being this hard to find before.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 04:16:59 am »

I haven't got anything special installed... just straight up dwarf fortress... It's actually 2 different worlds that I tried to find flux through the [f]ind and then "flux -yes"
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:32:25 am »

Hmm.. the flux finder might still be broken in that case. Are you using basic or advanced world generation procedures?

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 05:03:41 am »

Basic worldgen... I guess I can live without it... again. They'll have to deal with iron rather than steel

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 05:08:11 am »

Basic worldgen... I guess I can live without it... again. They'll have to deal with iron rather than steel
You might want to install DFHack and run "prospect" before selecting your embark site. You might be able to find flux that way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 05:10:36 am »

Ok, so i updated to the latest version of DF, 34.11 or whatever, and created a new world... Materials everwhere... Yes out of all 289 sites, there is not a single one with flux stones... This has to be a bug with the world gen right?

Minerals everywhere. High mineral counts tend to result in maps with low or no flux at all for some reason.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 05:56:02 am »

Minerals, materials... similar stuff :p either way, maybe I should cut back on that a bit then :p thanks for the info :)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 06:38:46 am »

Minerals everywhere. High mineral counts tend to result in maps with low or no flux at all for some reason.

And yet, hematite veins can run in limestone layers.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 07:23:38 am »

As a 'fix' you can mod all flux layers to be the only layers with aquifers. Then you just have to find aquifers. Just remember to reset the modifications before embarking.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 08:05:27 am »

High mineral counts tend to result in maps with low or no flux at all for some reason.
No, it does not - the site finder is simply broken in that it doesn't seem to recognize flux layers when lots of other minerals are present. After all, layer stones are placed before the minerals are added...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:25:32 am »

High mineral counts tend to result in maps with low or no flux at all for some reason.
No, it does not - the site finder is simply broken in that it doesn't seem to recognize flux layers when lots of other minerals are present. After all, layer stones are placed before the minerals are added...

This, the idea that mineral scarcity affects layer placement is a myth, as minerals (clusters and veins that is, not layers) are placed after the layers themselves. The entire idea came about because the amount of minerals replaces more of the flux layers, but the only problem with this is the flux finder problem. In a fortress you're not going to run out of flux layer stone.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 10:11:02 am »

Hmm, I do have to say I've noticed something similar.

I've been using the same PerfectWorld schematic to gen my worlds for a while now, on account of it having lots of everything I like, but on the past 3 genned worlds since .11 I haven't seen any sedimentary flux. I've seen plenty of marble and plenty of sedimentary biomes with non-flux stone, but never any proper flux.

Didn't give much thought to it, but I don't remember the stuff being this hard to find before.

High volcanism also means less sedimentary stones (and more metamorphic and igneous). Did you crank up volcanism so that you could get more volcanoes?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 12:10:23 pm »

Just dig deeper and search for marble. Marble is your friend.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability
Pages: [1] 2