Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrels mysteriously emptied, food and alcohol gone  (Read 3609 times)

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barrels mysteriously emptied, food and alcohol gone
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:53:06 pm »

It appears that my barrels, which held the food and alcohol from embark, were emptied to be brought to a finished goods (and furniture) stockpile.

I embarked with 240 units of alcohol, and a sizeable amount of cave lobster. According to my understanding, food doesn't rot if its stored in a barrel properly? Because after designating the stockpile I saw miasma from rotten food that I embarked with.
And now after checking the health of a miner who mined into a volcano, I notice dehydration and hunger on everyone.

Will dwarves remove items from barrels to store those barrels in the finished goods stockpile?

Also, on an unrelated note, there seems to be something wrong with my smelter, which while unlikely related is vaguely possible.
Despite having fuel and tetrahedrite ore, the option in the smelter is red, all options are. Both are right next to the smelter.
The only possible option I can come up with is that the game doesn't register my having fuel, and that the game didn't register that those barrels were full.

Running 34.11, no mods other than dfhack (which was used to quantum stockpile certain goods, including the food and alcohol. Although I assume it wouldn't cause this issue, since I've done it several times before)

Fortunately savescumming might save this fortress.

Edit: It seems it was using the auto dump in dfhack. Weird, because I've never had that problem. Now the smelter issue I have no idea what I'm probably doing wrong.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:47:32 pm by BoredVirulence »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels mysteriously emptied, food and alcohol gone
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:09:36 pm »

Food needs to be in either a food stockpile or in the starting wagon not to rot.

By fuel, do you mean bituminous coal or lignite? The fuel that smelters run off of is either charcoal or coke, with charcoal made at a wood burner and coke made by smelting bituminous coal or lignite.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:14:31 pm »

Charcoal. I unfortunately had to create a wood burner to fufill a mood. It was refined into charcoal.

Are items stored in barrels (even if not in their prospective stockpile) removed to store the barrel in its prospective stockpile?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:03:50 pm »

Despite having fuel and tetrahedrite ore, the option in the smelter is red, all options are. Both are right next to the smelter.
Do you have any burrows or stockpile links? In the former case, I've read that smelters can act like dwarves in that everything you need for a job needs to be inside the burrow. In the latter case, workshops linked to a stockpile (or stockpiles) will ignore any job items that aren't in a linked stockpile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:22:02 pm »

^
this

a wood burner for a mood? I havn't had a glass, kiln or forge mood yet, but they now require charcoal? or did someone specifically want charcoal as a decoration material? I never heard of it.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:22:55 pm »

Obviously, you have a horde of invisible children in your fortress. You must magma it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 12:36:41 am »

There were no stockpile links, nor burrows.

I just needed to smelt some ore for an armorsmith mood, and hadn't mined out where my magma forges were planned, so I made a conventional forge and smelter on the surface for the time being. I was just clarifying it was charcoal and not unrefined lignite or coal, which isn't actually fuel yet but could easily be believed to be fuel.

I savescummed because the food and alcohol would have killed the fortress, there is practically nothing to eat and all water sources were frozen. They were well on their way to dying of dehydration and my farms weren't even made yet.

Fortunately the smelters are working now, magma smelters.
Unfortunately I will never know what piece of armor he would have made. In my "new" game I got a possessed jewler...

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 02:35:17 am »

<snip>
 In my "new" game I got a possessed jewler...

Good enough reason to savescum again, imo.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 05:38:54 am »

I've had few item teleportations recently.
After digging out a chunk of rails that used to be part of the route for food quantum stockpiling in my dinning room I've noticed a miasma cloud. Upon examination it turned out that a thousand units of lavish meals suddenly mowed two tiles west from food stockpile.
The other happened near rails too, I've trapped a FB in my cyclotron and dropped several creatures there.

After one of the goblins managed to fracture FB's leg with a punch before jumping into cage trap, and kitten didn't have experience any symptomes from gas I've decided to put it down. I didn't pay much attention but immediately after  the fight I noticed a goblin cage and a corpse of one of bait animals on the other side of the containment bridge, outside of the chamber. They couldn't get there while beast was isolated.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 08:11:28 am »

Hmm, I noticed a few items that mysteriously moved from a refuse-pile to a tile about 2-3 tiles to the NW of a garbage dump makred tile - the items were still marked as dump (not forbiden as if they had been hauled). Im not using any hacks/mods.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 09:42:07 am »

I noticed this with a stone stockpile set to funnel into a minecart for hauling. The whole stockpile teleported onto the tile in front of the minecart, and then back again at one point.

Was the embark a freezing one? I'm not sure if the vanilla settings will give you areas cold enough to freeze alcohol, but I've seen frozen lye before. That's a pain in the ass to move because it doesn't count as lye while solid, but dumping it and accidentally setting both barrel and lye to be dumped causes the dwarves to shloop out the lye cube onto the floor and melt into a puddle.

Next time I suggest racing to the caverns, just to see if you can pull the fortress back.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 04:29:06 pm »

Obviously, you have a horde of invisible children in your fortress. You must magma it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

I know this is an emotional moment, but let's not make snap judgments.  Let's move cautiously.  First, this fortress has a substantial dwarfbuck value attached to it...

I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 07:03:21 pm »

Pshh, it was only 3 months in.
Im pretty sure the booze and food had to do with using dfhack's autodump to quantum stockpile (I wanted it inside...)
Although I've used it before on food with no ill side effects, I savescummed and tested it, and it was indeed the autodump function.

Now the smelter not allowing me to smelt ore, despite there were no burrow restrictions or stockpile links and had adequate ore and charcoal, confuses me, but works now.

And now I do have an army of children. A 65 dwarf migrant wave brough 40 extra kids. And I am trying to find a way to sate their hunger and thirst. Im going to try using fertilizer, but Im also thinking of making a "day care"

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 10:39:59 pm »

I know this is an emotional moment, but let's not make snap judgments.  Let's move cautiously.  First, this fortress has a substantial dwarfbuck value attached to it...

Relax you probably just have a Rumpire and a Gourmancer running loose.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"