Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good Games for the Kindle Fire  (Read 7661 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good Games for the Kindle Fire
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:21:27 pm »

Don't laugh.

I received a Kindle Fire for Father's Day. It will be great for the books I want to read. But I was wondering if there were any games that my fellow Bay12ers enjoy on it.

Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
Re: Good Games for the Kindle Fire
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:24:40 pm »

I laughed not because of this thread but the timing. Giveaways are post stealers. Sorry about that. Draw something is pretty fun I've heard.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 01:55:54 pm »

I'm not sure what the Kindle Fire runs, is it Android? If  not then you'll have to look for these in whatever app shop thing the Fire has.

If it is you'd be doing yourself a great disservice by not checking out the Kairosoft games. They have demos for all of them I think, and they're great fun. I'm playing GameDev Story at the moment. It's one of their older ones so it's not as polished as the more recent releases, but still addictive. Gran Prix Story and Dungeon Village are another couple of my favorites.

There's also Dungeon Raid Which is a cool little RPG/puzzler combo. Rebuild which is a rebuild-society-after-a-zombie-apocalypse mangement game. Though I got that in the BecauseWeMay sale for like 50p so I don't know what they normally charge for it.

There's also a really good ScummVM port for android. Though I guess your enjoyment of it will depend on the size of the screen you have. I can't imagine playing it on a phone would be very fun.

Indie Gala has a bundle up at the moment called the mobile bundle, so might be worth checking out that. I've not really heard of any of the games in it before but it's cheap enough.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:12:28 pm »

It does run on Android, but there is some tweaking that needs to be done to use games not in their app store. But I can figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions. Those look like games I should get.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:15:32 pm »

Rebuild is a flash game you can play for free... o.o

The fact that they're /selling/ it baffles me.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 02:42:51 pm »

Well, it looks like I have to root my Kindle to play the good games. Don't know if I want to do that. I just mainly wanted a book reader. And was thinking some games would be good on the side.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:40:45 pm »

All of those should be on the google play shop, unless you mean the kindle fire has it's own kindle shop?

Rebuild is a flash game you can play for free... o.o

The fact that they're /selling/ it baffles me.

They've added some stuff to the android version (new buildings, tech, events, etc), and as I said it was only 50p when I got it. I'd played the flash version for quite a bit when it came out so I didn't mind giving them some money for the convenience of having it on my tablet.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 03:46:12 pm »

Yeah, Amazon has its own apps shop and you have to root it to use the Google Play shop.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »

Ah, grim times. :(

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 04:46:40 am »

If you do root it, I suggest getting some decent emulators. There's heaps of home-brew games that run on GB/NES/SNES/Master System/Megadrive emulators if you're worried about the legality. But there's also the "other" sort, where you can fit a massive amount of pretty good games on a microSD card or even the 6GB you have onboard. Like probably the entire collection if you want. Even the touch-screeny-ness of them isn't bad with the limited number of buttons required to play these games.

It's kind of like you'll have a 7" screen colour gameboy wherever you go. RPGs, strategy and sports titles are all really playable on touch screens, but even action titles don't fair too badly. Not too many buttons, nice touch-screen joypad, pause whenever-you-please function and save-game slots whenever you want. The older consoles don't require a heap of cpu power (way less than the kindle fire has on board) and you can while away your time reliving all the stuff you could play back from before you had kids giving you father's day presents.

There's also some pretty good older style computer emulators out there. C64, ZXspectrum, Amiga, as well as a host of others are all available in Android form.

Just off the top of my head, here's some good roms for touch screens (they ran perfectly on a friend's phone with a 4" touch screen, the kindle will just make that better. Old console graphics actually look pretty good when scaled down a fair bit). This is sort of a PC'ish list, but it's amazing all the stuff that they released on consoles at some time, and now they all run perfectly through emulators.

Pirates!, NES
M.U.L.E, NES
Ultima 4, Master System
Phantasy Star 1-4, Master System/megadrive
Uncharted Waters 1-2, Megadrive/SNES
Madden NFL '98, SNES/Megadrive
Mutant League Football, Megadrive
Simcity 1 and 2000, SNES
Lemmings 1 or 2, Megadrive/SNES
PGA Golf Tour (whatever year), SNES/Megadrive
Eye of the Beholder, SNES
California Games, Master System/Megadrive
Might & Magic 2-3, SNES
Final Fantasy series, NES/SNES
Cannon Fodder 1-2, Megadrive/SNES
Civilisation (it's a bit unwieldy, but it works), SNES
Tetris, GB

There's absolutely heaps of games that are pretty fun for portables. I've played them on an android phone, a tablet, and even my own Nokia non-touch screen phone (with an awesome 233Mhz processor, they ran fine). So do a search and look into rooting your tablet. The days of console yore awaits you. And they're all free and small and were good enough to enthral an entire generation of game-players. Some of them are even free and legal, which is good. So get a-rooting and have some fun. It'll get you way more out of the Kindle in any case, just from the "normal" Android store stuff.

Just make sure that you kids don't end up with your new pressy. Or use it as a baby-sitter if they're still pretty young. Now that's a father's day present!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:52:09 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 05:28:21 am »

Oh, and just as another great thing about emulators is that they're cheap. Buy one emulator, get 1000 games free. So you can test out what you like, what you don't, add to or delete from your library, and you always get the full version as your tester. You can also try them out on your PC first if it's more convenient for you.

Plus, get an android version of Nethack. Because you can. There's nothing more replayable than a roguelike, and there's nothing more roguelike than Nethack. Except Rogue, which you can also get I'm pretty sure.

Here's a few ideas of the possibilities of your new present:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_584397&src_vid=RPSsY1gdQT4&v=DYvcZ5zycok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&src_vid=DYvcZ5zycok&v=RPSsY1gdQT4&annotation_id=annotation_455952

http://www.firewaresource.webs.com/

The third one is a website that gives you an idea of how to do it all.

Here's another web site that tells you how to side-load Android apps, in case you're a bit spooked by rooting the Kindle. It won't destroy your warranty, but it won't run everything.

http://www.tested.com/news/feature/3179-how-to-sideload-android-apps-on-the-amazon-kindle-fire-in-3-steps/

I want a Kindle Fire now, without the kids part to ruin all my gaming time. Anyway, have fun :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:01:41 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 07:41:12 am »

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...