Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Diamond titan  (Read 26123 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diamond titan
« on: June 15, 2012, 04:17:50 am »

In my worldgen, i have noticed "Lun Ripesimple the Lark of Sprayings", a forest titan. It is a huge quadruped composed of blue diamond. . (beware of its web)

My questions are :

- will it be very hard to fight ? I mean, titan made of steel are known to be hard or nearly indestructible. But what about diamond which is supposed to be very dense ?
- Will it be...butcherable ? I mean...WTF ! It's not made of "diamondS" but of one diamond ! I remember that i have read somewhere that FB not made of flesh couldn't be butcherable, but it would cool (and quite normal, actually) that you could install several workshops to cut this...enormous thing.

I hope it will not attack me, anyway. Not yet ^^

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diamond titan
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 04:19:09 am »

Unbutcherable, and even if you did. It would be worth 0*
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 04:23:19 am »

It used to be that gems all shared the same material properties, and were hard to kill but not as bad as titans made of metal. This may have changed with the material properties update though (IDK if they addressed gems). If it's anywhere as tough as diamond IRL, you're screwed.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:26:58 am »

Diamond is just very hard, not necesarilly strong or dense. Check the blue diamond raw for fracture yield and things like that - if it's brittle enough it might be possible to chip or shatter it with ordinary weapons.  Adamantine weapons definitely will damage it and eventually kill it.
However, it's still the strongest megabeast in a thousand worlds, not only because or diamond composition but because of webs, too. Do not engage the thing in melee unless you really want your soldiers dead.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:51 am »

Ok, but without adamantine, i don't think i will be able to kill him. And as i can't engage him in melee...i will have to make adamantine bolts.

Well, yes diamond is not very dense, but hard. Very hard, actually. But hardness is not coded in the game, is it ?
Anyway, i hope it will not come to me. Or do I ? :)

Butchering metal/other FB and titans could be fun...

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:36:00 am »

Just zerg rush the thing, get every farmer+peasant+your mayor and send them charging.

Then laugh as your armored-weavers come to collect the webs, who then die.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 04:42:08 am »

Ok, but without adamantine, i don't think i will be able to kill him. And as i can't engage him in melee...i will have to make adamantine bolts.

Well, yes diamond is not very dense, but hard. Very hard, actually. But hardness is not coded in the game, is it ?
Anyway, i hope it will not come to me. Or do I ? :)

hardness is described by SHEAR_YIELD and related tags I believe. Also I believe diamonds have realistically high values of those, making them impossible to tear or scratch without adamantine. The point I wanted to make is that it is still possible to chip and shatter it with blunt damage, because resistance to that is described by FRACTURE_YIELD, which may be lower.
Adamantine bolts would be a waste of time against it, and debatedly are a waste of time in any case. I meant slashing adamantine weapons. If you come across it, first try copper or silver bolts. If they don't help then you'd need a cunning plan like adamantine spike traps, caveins, magma or unleashing HFS.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 04:47:03 am »

Too bad we can't put FB and Titans in arena to try, or importing creatures from the "real" region to test them in arena, I would love to test the beast !

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:55:50 am »

Too bad we can't put FB and Titans in arena to try, or importing creatures from the "real" region to test them in arena, I would love to test the beast !

I guess you can try that with not too much effort, by converting a bronze colossus to diamond colossus or just posting a request for a diamond quadruped in the modders workshop thread.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 04:59:33 am »

You could always set up a Roach Motel to deal with it on the chance that it shows up.

A Diamond Forest Titan that spits webs might come in handy.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 06:57:33 am »

You could just turn save compression off and copy the raws for the titan out (minus the tags that cause problems if you try to use them in normal raws).

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 07:12:15 am »

Using some bait and clever abuse of pathing (maybe an artifact door it can path to and attempt to destroy?) you could trap it and use it as a pincushion or web factory for your dwarves.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 07:21:45 am »

Yeah traping it is going to be your best otion, lure it into some place and just wall it up. Decied what to do with it later.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 07:28:15 am »

With any luck its webs will be valuble. Good supply of quality clothing eather way, getting it trapped will most likely involve the sacrifice of a kitten, but if you manage it setting up a silk farm around it is as simple as digging a room, Putting in drawbridges to shield LOS and carving fortifications, then just dropping in a kitten every now and then.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 07:36:08 am »

And if you drop the kitten from sufficient height, the FB might just gain the "doesn't care about anything" aspect.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7