Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Warhammer40k: On the way out? - and talking about other wargames too!  (Read 11626 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer40k: On the way out? - and talking about other wargames too!
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2012, 04:07:31 am »

I forgot to mention that some of my friends to balked at the cost of some of the new resin figures with their "specially formulated recipe".

Inquisitor and his retinue?
Indeed. See them posted before (ages ago at that)?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2012, 05:11:32 am »

I'm hoping this is on topic enough. So here goes.

Do you guys think that the increasing technologic advancenents in 3D printers are going to have an affect on table top gaming? I've heard some people claiming that it's going to single handly destroy the table top industry. Much the same way people say piracy will kill the entertainment industry.
This is all assuming that 3D printers will reach the point to be accessible to most consumers.

Table top gaming has been something I was interested in but could never get into. The prices are just way too duanting. I could forsee in the future having an open source table top ruleset, much in like Pathfinder with P&P, where one could upload and download 3D models to print. Then it's a simple matter of painting and playing with very little cost.

I can see why that appeals to so many and why there are concerns that 3D printers might have a massive impact on table top gaming. However, if true, like piracy I think if the companies modify their business plans and keep up to date with a changing economy they might not come through it all that bad at all.

Every time theres a change in technology that shifts power from the producers of something to the customers there's this same outcry. Happend with cassettes, VHS, cheap printing presses, and downloads. It's always and without fail just fear of change and panic. The movie, music, video game, literature etc industries are still going strong. Also it's not like you can't allready duplicate minis.

Though it's an interesting point with 3d printing, since I imagine it'd be just as easy for someone to design their own dreadnaught or space marine type figure, and then everyone use that. As long as it's recognizable as a guy in space armour, or a walking coffin with guns it doesn't need to look exactly like the GW versions. I guess you could get into trouble for putting the specific army logos on there, but then again you could also just make them out of greenstuff and glue them on anything anyway.

A lot of the furor over this could just as easily be applied to kitbashing or converting things. And to be honest I think the real benefit of 3D printing will be for things like this. Say you want to do some heavy full-army converting, and you need a whole heap of different helmets or kibble pieces, then you can just print off a stack of them. Chaos spikes and non-standard looking weapons and things. That's why I'm excited about 3d printing.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2012, 06:06:04 am »

3D printing can eather go: GW will use it or: Everyone else uses it and GW in defiance just goes straight out of buisness and someone more compitent buys the rights to the warhammer universe. If its someone like EA then warhammer will die as its rights are just sat on.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »

Inquisitor and his retinue?
Indeed. See them posted before (ages ago at that)?
Nope. I saw the power-armored dude with the hammer on his shoulder and the small dude holding a shield that was as large as he was. Take into account the assorted riff-raff, and it was either an Inquisitor or a penal legion, and I don't think penal legions are supposed to look that cool. Just a lucky guess :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »

talking about ridiculous costs, the WH40K manta.

£960! in dollars, that's $1505.
Ah yes, the largest model offered by ForgeWorld to date. Proud that it's a Tau unit, terrified at the price.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2012, 06:15:25 pm »

"My giant robot comes to smash you in the name of peace and harmony."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2012, 06:23:44 pm »

"My giant robot comes to smash you in the name of peace and harmony."
It's actually a spaceship that can attack planetary targets :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2012, 06:43:21 pm »

To help us continually offer you the best experience on forgeworld.co.uk and help us manage the site, we and carefully selected third parties will store some information on your computer using cookies. Only by allowing us to store cookies on your computer can you browse the website and see the entire range of our great products. To find out more about what cookies are, the type this site uses and how to delete them, please read our privacy notice.

Yeah, they can KMA, I don't need to see the picture. :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2012, 06:45:02 pm »

To help us continually offer you the best experience on forgeworld.co.uk and help us manage the site, we and carefully selected third parties will store some information on your computer using cookies. Only by allowing us to store cookies on your computer can you browse the website and see the entire range of our great products. To find out more about what cookies are, the type this site uses and how to delete them, please read our privacy notice.

Yeah, they can KMA, I don't need to see the picture. :P
Big Picture
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2012, 06:45:59 pm »

"My giant manta ray comes to smash you in the name of peace and harmony."

There we go.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2012, 06:48:47 pm »

"My giant manta ray comes to smash you in the name of peace and harmony."

There we go.
It's actually a pretty good strategy.

*tau show up in massive war fleet with advanced battlesuits and weapons*
Tau: Hey there! Wanna join us in pursuit of the Greater Good?
*aliens take one look at said massive war fleet*
Aliens: Sure!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2012, 04:31:46 am »

To all the Tau lovers: The Greater Good is coming to you from my Bolter, alien.

As for the thread, Warhammer is waaaaaaaay to expensive for me to be actively involved in painting mini's. I do buy all the rulebooks and have a small library of novels (I love dem novels. Luuuuuve them), which probably already adds up to hundreds of euros. But I can't mentally justify buying a small figure the size of my thumb (which I still have to paint, which I still have to buy as well) which costs more than 30 euros. For 30 euro's, I get two novels or an omnibus with 5 stories. The Night Lords series by Aaron-Dembski Bowden for instance was most excellent.

I could buy a 'used' army, sure, but those things are never how I would have painted them. So, yeah. I did try a proxy game of WH by using cardboard, but I didn't have the experience and my co-player the patience to finish a full game. I'm quite sad there aren't any RPG groups in my neighbourhood. Otherwise, I would love to do a round of Deathwatch or Black Crusade. I love Space Marines.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2012, 08:03:12 pm »

This thread actually got me thinking about my old mini's. While I know that this is in no way a buying/selling thread, it is relevant in some ways.

I've recently moved out of my ex-fiancee's house and have been taking stock of all the random crap that you accumulate throughout life. Is WH/WH40k on it's way out?

For me, certainly. To the point that I'm giving my old mini's away for free. I've chucked a post up on the Warseer buy/sell forum thread.

So if anyone from bay12 happens to live in the Gold Coast/Brisbane area and wants some free stuff, give it a look-see.

To me, this sort of explains why GWs stuff isn't good anymore. I spent a heap of money on this crap and now it's sitting in a box. It's junk to me, half-finished geeky stuff that I no longer like, that I'd be happy to give away for free. To a good home of course, I did spend some time accumulating this worthless junk, but it's still free/random/garage-sale quality junk. If you happen to be an Aussie around the GC/Brisbane area, by all means grab it.

Is WH/WH40k dead? Nope. But it really isn't worth shit to you when you don't play anymore. Just boxes that are taking up room in your house.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:09:50 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]