Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'll probably get shot for suggesting this.  (Read 3244 times)

LordTumbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'll probably get shot for suggesting this.
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:32:45 pm »

Lets map a 360 (windows) controller and make the game compatable!

>_> <_< 

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'll probably get shot for suggesting this.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:34:58 pm »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, like Toady will be capable of not only finishing this version, but also code it to be compatible with another console/controller at the same time.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

LordTumbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:36:28 pm »

Yeah, like Toady will be capable of not only finishing this version, but also code it to be compatible with another console/controller at the same time.

I ment someone in the community.  I've allready got it mostly figured out in my head my only problem is some of the menu's cannot be scrolled through with the +- keys and need specific key input.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:40:51 pm »

Oh, I thought you were talking about something like the Xbox or PS3 or something.

That seems possible.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:43:59 pm »

I ment someone in the community.  I've allready got it mostly figured out in my head my only problem is some of the menu's cannot be scrolled through with the +- keys and need specific key input.
You'd need some sort of system that can detect how the menu scrolls and set the scroll keys appropriately. +-, 82 are the main scrolling systems so far.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:21:18 pm »

The game is not open source.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:44:22 pm »

You can always try mapping the appropriate keys to gamepad buttons with a utility like JoyToKey.

LordTumbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:46:14 am »

You can always try mapping the appropriate keys to gamepad buttons with a utility like JoyToKey.

but then again, how do we solve the menus that dont have a scroll through feature?

Is it possible to change something to make them all have it?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 09:19:57 am »

Make an external utility based on DFHack that detects which menu you are visiting, so it can appropriately rebind the controller.
Otherwise we can have the select button toggle some sort of mode for different things.

But even more importantly, how will we open the right screen? How many keys do you need to operate the main screen of the game? A lot more keys than a 360 pad could support.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 10:24:46 am »

Well, that's simple, actually.  The interface program would be coded to know what the menu possibilities are and keep track of cursor on that list.  So in a simplified alternate reality, assume that the only top level menus are 'd'esignate, 'b'uild and 'h'aul.  Up/down on the d-pad would cycle through those three.  X would select the current one, sending a 'd' 'b' or 'h' keypress to DF.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 11:37:19 am »

But even more importantly, how will we open the right screen? How many keys do you need to operate the main screen of the game? A lot more keys than a 360 pad could support.

Sorry if there's a double post, my connection dropped right as I was replying.

You could stretch out your range of inputs by having each of the XABY buttons modified by up to 4 bumper / trigger buttons being pressed, so

'A' is one input.
'Right trigger + A' is one input.
'Right bumper + A' is one input.
'Right trigger + right bumper + A' is one input.

up to 4 triggers and 4 buttons should get you 4! * 4 = 96 inputs. I don't advocate doing this I'm just trying to say that there may be a way. If I got something wrong in my math or basic assumptions, someone please correct me.

Rakushun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 12:41:12 pm »

"Area Man Shot with Crossbow for Playing Computer Game with Video Game Controller"

"...witnesses took a break from weaving rope reed necklaces in a circle around a tree to describe the assailant as extremely short and extremely bearded..."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 02:04:26 pm »

In my view, the main obstacle is when you want to enter text. BringItemToDepot filtering, custom names (both dwarves and squads now), arena mode, etc
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 02:29:50 pm »

Kinect speech recognition solves that.

Imagine designating areas with a wave of your hand.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 02:51:05 pm »

Actually, voice recognition would dramatically simplify things.  Just say "view" or "look" or "build trap cage".  That would allow you to use the controller for scrolling, and confirmation, which it is well suited for.

The hard part would be mapping words (like maybe coffin?) that appear with different keybindings in different menus. 
At last, she is done.
Pages: [1] 2