Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CKII - Broken Kingdoms  (Read 14635 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
CKII - Broken Kingdoms
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:53:39 pm »

Hey, all. Coding for 12-14 hours a day is actually quite awesome, but at the end of the day I need something to do for a half an hour or an hour to let off steam and not go completely insane. I've decided to run a CKII play-along. I've played through the vanilla game enough times now that I want to try something different, so I've settled on the Broken Kingdoms mod, which strips all kingdoms (and empires) from the initial game.

Spoiler: The Broken Lands (click to show/hide)

I really like role-playing in games like this, and so I feel this unusual setup requires something of a back story:

Spoiler: The Fall of Man (click to show/hide)

I will be playing as Herbert Karling, Count of Vermandois. Herbert's single county sits on the border of the former Holy Roman Empire and France. 'Major' powers in the region include Upper and Lower Lorraine to the north- and southeast, Flanders to the north, and Burgundy to the south.

Spoiler: The Beginning (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Herbert Karling (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:57:36 pm by Lord Dullard »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: CKII - Broken Kingdoms
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:00:01 am »

Hell yeah, go go last landed descendant of Charlemagne!  I love playing as that guy, even when I have to contend with the "false" King of France (as last landed descendant of Charlemagne, of course "I" should be the King of France) over my head.

You must follow your ancestors and restore the Holy Roman Empire!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:51:19 am »

Restore the HRE!  Simply because I have nothing better to suggest!

Can we get a screenie of the heir?  Also, are you on primogeniture? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 10:59:43 am »

I shall post screenies tonight! Attempting to restore the HRE sounds like a good long-term goal.

I don't have the game open at the moment, but I think we start out as primogeniture. I may switch it to elective simply because that's my favorite succession system, unless it seems more appropriate and !FUN! to keep it as primogeniture or gavelkind. I'll take any input on that decision before I play for an hour or so tonight, after I get all my work done.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »

I say stick with primogeniture. I feel that elective is too gamey as it's too easy to keep enough voting titles and always ensure the ruler you want gets on the throne. This way it's a bit harder :P

Until you form the HRE that is :D

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »

Well, here is little Eudes. Not the most promising of successors...

Spoiler: Eudes (click to show/hide)

We'll see what the future brings, though. Both Herbert and his wife have the Lustful trait, which is hopeful.

Primogeniture it is, in any case. Let the devious plotting begin!

=========================

15 September, 1066: The world has collapsed around me. I, Herbert Karling, of the line of Charles the Great, have watched as the great Roman empire has dissolved. France, likewise, has been brought to her knees. Yet this seems to me to be the greatest of opportunities; the empire shall rise from the ashes, if it is but fed with the spark of ambition. I shall strive to increase what is left of the might of House Karling, for the sake of my young son Eudes, and for the sake of the empire.

9 December, 1066: My efforts bear fruit earlier than I had expected. I sent Guilhem south, to Reims, to see if he could dig up old records that would cast a favorable light on the Karling claims in the area. Within mere months, he has succeeded.

I shall take this as a sign that I am walking on the path appointed to me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:21:23 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »

2 January, 1067: Our army has arrived in Reims. Our adversaries are the forces of Prince-Bishop Gervais, widely known to be a simpering old fool. It is likely that he would have bent the knee to Duke Thibauld of Champagne within the year, but God help me, he will never get the chance.

Spoiler: Battle! (click to show/hide)

8 January, 1067: This is truly a blessed victory. Gervais is in our clutches. He fought like a cowardly fool and allowed us to corner him. He will surrender within the day.

Spoiler: Gervais, defeated. (click to show/hide)

(Note: This is an unusually good start. I'm nervous about what the RNG is going to throw at me now.)

12 February, 1068: The past year has been uneventful, at least within our borders. Yet Thibauld worries me. He is not openly hostile, yet I feel he may have an eye upon our lands, and especially Reims. I have decided to preempt any actions on his part by swearing fealty to Konrad, Duke of Luxembourg. Konrad's line is failing, and his only heir is a member of the clergy. This route offers both safety and an opportunity for House Karling to elevate itself.

Spoiler: Vassal of Luxembourg (click to show/hide)

13 August, 1069: My beloved brother, Pierre, has passed from this life. May God rest his soul.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:02:52 pm by Lord Dullard »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:27:39 pm »

Banking on a 28 year old not having children.  As a 28 year old, I assure you that this is risky indeed.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 10:19:15 pm »

Nah, not banking on that.

Banking on the fact that children are relatively easy to kill.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 04:15:35 am »

The motto of EVERY CK2 player.  Including myself. 

Of course, I've heard that assassinations are more expensive the more powerful the person in question is, right? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 04:58:30 pm »

The motto of EVERY CK2 player.  Including myself. 

Of course, I've heard that assassinations are more expensive the more powerful the person in question is, right?

It'll be cheaper in the long run to just kill your liege, assuming that means you inherit.  Spinning daggers for the win!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 11:47:10 am »

I didn't get a chance to play last night due to other craziness going on, but I should probably clarify on my reasons for joining Luxembourg:

1. There are a total of three people left in the Duke's bloodline. Himself, his celibate brother, and his infant daughter.
2. He has only one county, which means I could easily rebel if inheriting became impossible.
3. It prevents Thibauld from invading me (or at least makes it much less likely), and I'm almost certain he was going to do that, since he has a de jure CB on Reims (he also has a total of four counties vs. my two, so that wouldn't have been pretty).

Anyway, I'll try to run this a bit more tonight to see if I can espionage my way into inheriting Luxembourg. Herbert's skills are pretty pathetic so it'll be difficult at best, but it still might be possible with some luck.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 12:09:24 pm »

A most fortunate start! I'll be watching this with interest.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 07:37:41 pm »

28 December, 1081:
Much has occurred since the last time I picked up this dusty old journal. I endeavored for nearly a decade to take the duchy of Luxembourg from within, but circumstances did not favor me. Despite Konrad's death, his line was perpetuated through his brother's unlikely progeny and his own son, unborn at the time he succumbed. His daughter, the young Duchess Alberade, proved to be difficult to remove from the mortal coil - apparently the courtiers were too attached to a young and innocent girl to act against her best interests.

Even so, perhaps I would have continued to bide my time, but any such aspirations were dashed when Thibauld declared war for Reims. The bastard was successful, and my land now suffers his banners upon its soil. One day my line shall reclaim it.

Fortune did not entirely cast us entirely aside, though. When the war was lost I realized it was time to part from Luxembourg. The war for independence was easily won, and the victory helped to restore my prestige. Guilhem, performing beyond any expectations, secured claims upon both Amiens and Luxembourg itself for me. Amiens was easily taken with the assistance of Duke Dirk of Holland, whose sister is wedded to my brother Eudes; though Count Simon was allied with Thibauld, the old goat did not intervene in a fight which would have tested his forces against the combined might of my own land and Dirk's. Luxembourg shall soon fall prey to us - the young Duchess has no allies to speak of, save for the ones she has retained at court.

Guilhem has informed me that I have claimed enough of Valois to proclaim myself a Duke, given the appropriate amount of bribes and fanfare. The recently completed village at my holding of Rethel in Vermandois shall supply me with the necessary funds, and soon the name of Karling shall be elevated beyond the lowly title I have borne for the better part of my life.

As age creeps over me and reminds me of my mortality, I find myself considering the future of House Karling more and more. Eudes, my oldest, is... not ideally suited to bear the mantle of head of the family. He is too content with his meager position, he has a terrible temper, and - I have come to recognize that he shares my own cynicism, despite a professed interest in matters of the church. I fear my inexperienced fathering bestowed more of my negative qualities upon him than my few graces. My young son Benoit, however, is shaping up to be a better man than myself.

Spoiler: Benoit (click to show/hide)

(Updated: After a few more years, Benoit now has Attractive, Cynical, Kind, Proud, and Ambitious, and his stats are awesome.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:00:26 pm by Lord Dullard »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 08:00:33 pm »

Hey, he won the genetic lottery (and I do mean lottery)!  Don't take his cynicism away however, as that is the only thing keeping his intrigue from being even lower.

I'm afraid your best bet would probably be for someone else to raise him.  Your character has the clergy education, so anyone your character raises will be on the clergy path (unless this mod fixed that).  And your son just isn't as good at the stat for clergy success (Learning) as other paths.  Find someone with attributes you like and have them raise your son.  Besides, you really don't want your favored son to get the fertility nerf that the clergy education carries as a curse.

In contrast, the diplomacy field boosts one's fertility!  And good diplomats make good rulers!  One of the other fields also boosts fertility, but I'm not sure which it is.
Pages: [1] 2