Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Terrain Embark  (Read 1237 times)

Beenjamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting Terrain Embark
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:53:59 pm »

Hey guys,

When generating a world and I tend to use maximum elevation variance, and choose an embark site with 8's 9's and *'s for relative elevation or a point where two rivers (streams) converge so that the site is good for plateaus, waterfalls and terraces. I usually embark on a 3x3 to save FPS. I also like multiple biomes with at least 1 wooded or better biome.

I'd like to embark on a site with a central hill, or failing that, some other strategic/interesting terrain feature and was wondering what tips, preferences or advice you lovely people have for generating and locating such an embark site. All input is welcome.

I recently tried to embark on an archipelago (water tiles around most of the edges) but it looked a bit rubbish and relative elevation was flat so I killed it.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Terrain Embark
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:21:02 pm »

I prefer 0 and 1, to 8 and 9.  However, I might evolve into the 8 and 9s, now with the F, Follow Dwarf, feature.  It used to be such a pain to change levels to follow Hunters.  Not anymore.

Only suggestion I have is to up your size to 5x5, when using the filter, to find an embark.  It'll narrow in for you better, than 3x3.  Then once you find something that looks good, shrink back down to 3x3.  Problem with filtering with a 3x3 or smaller, is ya get too many results.

Take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:14:27 pm »

Right now I'm on 4x4 scorching hot desert, 1-2 terrain level to keep the illusion of a sandy ocean of death. It's terrifying, but so far there was nothing particularly evil afoot. Intelligent giant ticks would strike terror in reality, but in dwarf fortress they're mostly harmless.
I like to have my embarks themed, if I'm going to erect a mighty stronghold on a mountain it has to be very steep, but not if I'm burrowing myself into desert sand. A castle on a cliff overseeing the vast ocean would be another nice theme.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:16:11 pm »

Themes work for me too.  That desert embark ya described should give good glass stuff.  I bet you'll make good use of it. 

This book, I'm just about finished reading it, The Walking Drum, a historic fantasy around 500-900ad, has a hidden tunnel between two towns.  Monks made and used it to conduct safe trade without getting ambushed by mounted steppe bandits over a period of 200 years.  The cool thing about one of the entrances to this monk tunnel is that its secret entry is behind a drained murky pool wall, so even if someone knew where the tunnel was, access to it, was difficult. 

I've been meaning to make a fortress with a sophisticated entrance, that required draining a cistern, to enter/exit.  But I haven't quite figured out how to setup a linked civilian pressure plate system.

That monk tunnel, also had rocks on a spinning axis, every quartermile or so, to acquire fresh air from, for themselves, the monks, and their pack animals carrying their trade goods.  This made me think of a triggered cart system, fired by interval footfalls.  Wish I could get motivated to build something like that.  Sure would be fun, seeing minecarts moving. 

Haven't figure them out here, yet.  Still toying with these new features.  Take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:01:35 pm »

Themes work for me too.  That desert embark ya described should give good glass stuff.  I bet you'll make good use of it.
I build everything I can out of glass, it's fun because usually I don't use glass at all, too much of a hassle.
Too bad the evil rain has the whole landscape covered in bright red heinous slush. Doesn't really look like a desert anymore.