Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My dwarves hate wood and refuse to gather it!  (Read 5167 times)

OzDracula

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My dwarves hate wood and refuse to gather it!
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:23:37 am »

They started cutting trees and mining out a home for my dwarves to live but they ignore all the wood that's been chopped.  ???
I've turned a room into a wood stockpile and when that failed I created another wood stockpile at surface level.  :o
After discovering 'Set Orders' and changing the setting to 'Gather Wood'... they still ignore it. Well darn it... summer has arrived and still no wood for beds! Argh!  >:(
My poor dwarves have been sleeping in the rain.  :-\

Please help my little people before they all need to visit the chiropractor or die from exposure!  :-[

atazs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves hate wood and refuse to gather it!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:56:07 am »

They started cutting trees and mining out a home for my dwarves to live but they ignore all the wood that's been chopped.  ???
I've turned a room into a wood stockpile and when that failed I created another wood stockpile at surface level.  :o
After discovering 'Set Orders' and changing the setting to 'Gather Wood'... they still ignore it. Well darn it... summer has arrived and still no wood for beds! Argh!  >:(
My poor dwarves have been sleeping in the rain.  :-\

Please help my little people before they all need to visit the chiropractor or die from exposure!  :-[
You dont need to stockpile them to create items. As for them not collecting wood are you sure its the right stockpile?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:01:53 am »

After discovering 'Set Orders' and changing the setting to 'Gather Wood'... they still ignore it.

They should have been moving wood to the stockpile by default.  If you changed this option, are you sure you didn't change it to the wrong setting?

If you assigned wheelbarrows to the wood stockpile, make sure some wheelbarrows actually exist.  (There wouldn't have been any assigned by default, unless you made a stone stockpile and then changed it into a wood stockpile or something.)

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:03:04 am »

If you build a carpenter's shop and try to make some beds, will the carpenter go out and fetch some logs? Or does he cancel the production?
Are the logs forbidden? Did you use burrows?
(a>b) ? false : true

OzDracula

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:06:06 am »

The carpenter cancels building beds due to lack of wood even though it's lying around everywhere.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:14:25 am »

The carpenter cancels building beds due to lack of wood even though it's lying around everywhere.

=>
Are the logs forbidden? Did you use burrows?

OzDracula

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:20:02 am »

As far as I can tell, there's no 'Forbid' command for wood, only an 'Ignore' command which is set to 'Gather Wood.'
I have no burrows at all.

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:26:17 am »

The forbid is on the individual logs, not on the (o)rders screen. If you do d->b->c (which is the mass unforbid command) then you can see any forbidden items highlighted in green. Selecting them like you select rock to dig will unforbid them.

Alternatively you can go to your stocks screen and view the logs, and forbidden ones will have a yellow F by them. I think you need a bookkeeper for that to work though.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 07:27:58 am »

As far as I can tell, there's no 'Forbid' command for wood, only an 'Ignore' command which is set to 'Gather Wood.'
I have no burrows at all.

What I meant was: are the logs themselves forbidden (through the use of designations ( d->b->f ))?
Check out if you can claim them, by pressing d->b->c - if they are forbidden they will show up green (at least thats the color in the tileset I'm using).
What happens if you dump them via garbage zone next to your carpenters workshop and claim them after dumping?
It's either
a very weird bug
or the logs are forbidden to be hauled/used
or the logs are outside of a burrow the dwarves are restricted to (you already eliminated that option)
or the dwarves cannot path to the logs.
Other than that, I can't think of anything else, really.

OzDracula

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 07:38:46 am »

Unfortunately that doesn't work. I may have to restart.
I spent a lot of time carefully choosing suitable jobs for my dwarves based upon their personality and abilities.
If it does it again I may have to rage-quit and find another game.
Thanks for your time.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 08:12:32 am »

Maybe you have made a mistake with stairs or ramps (I had some strange occurances myself as a beginner).
If your workshop is underground and your dwarf cannot get to the surface because you have dug away a wall of a ramp or the stairs are not connected ...

Can you build a carpenters shop outside next to your logs?

Do they have their wood hauling labor enabled?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 08:36:29 am »

Are you sure there are no burrows? Just checking.
Are you sure that the logs are not forbidden marked for either dumping?
Are you sure your dwarves can reach the surface?
Are you sure the carpenter canceled the job due to not being able to find wood and not, say, because he was scared by a badger? (Those guys are actually pretty aggressive.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 08:55:13 am »

Also, f you have set the wood stockpile to give wood to the carpenter's shop, the carpenter will not use wood lying around outside the stockpile.
Check the options menu again.  By default Dwarves gather everything except outdoor refuse.  Is it possible that you actually turned off wood gathering rather than turning it on?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:33 am »

If the carpenter at the workshop also can't use logs, I'm assuming it's a pathing problem of some sort. I agree, check all your ramps/stairs/etc, to make sure that you didn't accidentally remove some (I know I have, before, somehow). Also if there was, say, a river in between your fort and the wood, and it unfroze, that could also cause it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:26 am »

Also, if you have set the wood stockpile to give wood to the carpenter's shop, the carpenter will not use wood lying around outside the stockpile.
Check the options menu again.  By default Dwarves gather everything except outdoor refuse.  Is it possible that you actually turned off wood gathering rather than turning it on?
The "set the carpenter's workshop to take wood from the stockpile" thing seems likely. That option makes the carpenter's workshop ONLY use wood in the wood stockpile; otherwise, they'll use the closest wood to the dwarf.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2