Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Missing child unofficially found. Notify the parents?  (Read 7655 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Missing child unofficially found. Notify the parents?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 08:30:00 pm »

I see an excellent opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. First, place the child's body on a drawbridge. Next, bring the parents outside to see their child. Last, pull the lever and launch them all into orbit. This will provide useful scientific data on whether bridgeapults fling children farther than adults, as well as neatly resolving any negative thoughts from the parents seeing their child's body.

This.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 01:50:23 am »

It looks that having a penchant for cats is a risk factor, though.

in DF, usually it's a risk factor for dying quite suddenly, usually in a manner involving the smashing of atoms or swimming in magma (which also helps out with scouting efforts).

but yeah, losing pets can be pretty bad...

you should probably give that guy a masterwork cat brain roast or something.

TerringtonSnyde

• Escaped Lunatic
  • not angry, just hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 06:20:55 am »

You should make the parents new bone-encrusted beds for their rooms to make up for this horrible loss.

would it be possible to do this except... using the bones of the kid? There would be a certain delicious irony in the whole situation.

Failing that though, either the resurrection-through-necromancy or the bridge-a-pult assisted aerodynamics test are both splendid ideas.

man, dwarf fortress players are so awesome, I am discovering

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 06:39:08 pm »

You should make the parents new bone-encrusted beds for their rooms to make up for this horrible loss.

would it be possible to do this except... using the bones of the kid? There would be a certain delicious irony in the whole situation.

Unfortunately impossible, unless the kid rest in pieces (at least in unmodified game). I love killing goblins with goblin bone bolts, and dwarves with dwarf bone, but this kind of fun requires some extraordinary steps to achieve.

It looks that having a penchant for cats is a risk factor, though.

in DF, usually it's a risk factor for dying quite suddenly, usually in a manner involving the smashing of atoms or swimming in magma (which also helps out with scouting efforts).

but yeah, losing pets can be pretty bad...

you should probably give that guy a masterwork cat brain roast or something.

Cats have curious ability to wander aimlessly just outside the walls, despite the fact that most of the surface is actually inside my walls. Dwarves are safer that way. Cats are not. They are dying to get out of any confines, it seems. This results in such a turnover, that I'm almost out of cats - most female cats get killed before they are able to bear kittens. A limit of total number of animals may also play a part in this.

Anyway, the parents are slowly recovering, and probably won't get mad.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 09:00:22 pm »

Cats have curious ability to wander aimlessly just outside the walls, despite the fact that most of the surface is actually inside my walls. Dwarves are safer that way. Cats are not. They are dying to get out of any confines, it seems. This results in such a turnover, that I'm almost out of cats - most female cats get killed before they are able to bear kittens. A limit of total number of animals may also play a part in this.

I usually pasture most of my cats in food stockpiles and farm areas to cut down on the vermin there and reduce cat adoptions.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 09:20:48 pm »

I usually pasture most of my cats in food stockpiles and farm areas to cut down on the vermin there and reduce cat adoptions.

Ditto. Along with a small room with 9 cutouts, one female pastured to each cutout, male in the middle. Breeding room. When females mature I slaughter the oldest and replace it with the new girl. I do this with any animals I have. Youngest mature male to the center, others to watch points, rest slaughtered.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 05:16:56 am »

Ditto. Along with a small room with 9 cutouts, one female pastured to each cutout, male in the middle. Breeding room. When females mature I slaughter the oldest and replace it with the new girl. I do this with any animals I have. Youngest mature male to the center, others to watch points, rest slaughtered.

Actually, I was keeping some of cats in food storerooms before, but was unable to solve another problem - cats were killing small pests, like creepy crawlers, and keeping them in mouths. They were probably trying to offer the remains to their "owners", but couldn't do so because said "owners" were busy elsewhere. Still, I'll try it again, maybe starting with free cats, not pets. And the idea of cat breeding centre may be a good thing. Though I like keeping many animals - their total peeked over 850, and after mass culling (to save the grass moss) I still have more than 700, and the other species will probably life their lives.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 11:52:43 am »

I like these discrepancies between an event and a reaction to it.

I know right? A goblin just killed one of my dwarves and then executed the two babies she was carrying.

The father is doing perfectly fine. He's happy because he became a father recently.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 10:09:52 pm »

I like these discrepancies between an event and a reaction to it.

I know right? A goblin just killed one of my dwarves and then executed the two babies she was carrying.

The father is doing perfectly fine. He's happy because he became a father recently.
That's just plain-out sad.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 05:45:22 am »

"Urist McPater, there's something I have to tell you."
"Go ahead! Nothing can ruin my mood; I've just become a father!"
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 07:00:57 pm »

The legendary dining room has been flooded.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 07:38:18 pm »

The legendary dining room has been flooded.
..and the still got destroyed
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 06:51:34 am »

"Mother...Father...? Please...I'll be good..." the child croaked pathetically, his once chubby fingers clutching at the pitiless bars. "I've stopped crying...Please...Please let me out...I'll be..."

Anonymous figures shuttled passed the dying child, too busy, too ignorant, or just too uncaring to pay heed. It was true that he had stopped crying days before. A body bereft of water could no long spare the luxury of tears.

"Please...Can anyone hear me? Mother...Father..." The child whimpered and curled up on the floor of the cage, careful not to jostle the barbed goblin bolt festering in his side.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 10:05:23 am »

While designating old cages for melting I've found one dwarven body inside a copper cage.
After finding the body I have assigned a coffin to bury it. But now I have some afterthoughts - maybe it would be better to drop it into the magma pool and forget about it?
BTW the kid died of starving/dehydration apparently.

Proper DF protocol. Others would ask, why was the baby in a cage in the first place?
These are questions that are not needed to be understood.
Probably, a snatcher snatched a child and got caught in a cage trap. The goblin was removed, but someone (everyone) didn't notice that there was a kid in the cage.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 01:03:03 pm »

"Mother...Father...? Please...I'll be good..." the child croaked pathetically, his once chubby fingers clutching at the pitiless bars. "I've stopped crying...Please...Please let me out...I'll be..."

Anonymous figures shuttled passed the dying child, too busy, too ignorant, or just too uncaring to pay heed. It was true that he had stopped crying days before. A body bereft of water could no long spare the luxury of tears.

"Please...Can anyone hear me? Mother...Father..." The child whimpered and curled up on the floor of the cage, careful not to jostle the barbed goblin bolt festering in his side.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:D
Pages: 1 [2] 3