Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hitman: Absolution, Killing Latex Clad Nuns.  (Read 10780 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Hitman: Absolution, Killing Latex Clad Nuns.
« on: June 04, 2012, 04:51:52 pm »

So the internet is all up in fire about this and I haven't seen a discussion about this on Bay12 yet. 

First off watch this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_jhw5TuxA&feature=related (NSW)

Now answer me this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For a series that was more or less semi-based in reality this is a pretty jarring change. I don't normally find this sort of stuff offensive but it's so over the top and just terrible I can say I'm pretty angry.
If this trailer is indicating the quality of the game and the future games in the series I don't think Hitman has any future place in my game library.

I suppose this could also be a general thread about over-sexulisation and violence towards female characters in the gaming industry.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hitman: Absolution, Killing Latex Clad Nuns.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:06:51 pm »

I've basically been expecting it to be Splinter Cell: Conviction all over again for a while now (by which I mean they seem to be turning a strategic stealth game into an action game with some stealth mechanics).
Now I'm kinda expecting worse. Unfortunately I'm also expecting it to sell well because people have no taste.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:11:04 pm »

http://kotaku.com/5915076/before-he-fought-dominatrix-nuns-agent-47-took-on-mardi-gras

I think that article covers it somewhat decently. You can also look at the hell/angel end level of blood money where you probably end up doing your fair share of women dressed as angels slaughtering.

Really people who have a problem with this seem to think that these action packed trailers, which they have always done for trailers, is the only way to play the games, and content wise, I don't think have played any previous Hitman games, because there has always been shit like this.

Why is this so offensive against female characters? What's wrong with a band of femme fatale mercs or some other such faction dressing up as nuns trying to kill Agent 47? Are females not allowed to do that? Then you have the problem with the over-sexualisation, which I guess I could say is true, but considering I'm not even really fully interested in females, I don't really see the problem with it, and to be honest it has been done in a lot of other games, in far worse ways, yet for some reason people are only jumping on the bandwagon now, sounds a little like kony if you ask me.

I look forward to the game.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:15:58 pm »

I think it looks pretty awesome.

Of course, I have no previous experience with the series. So my overall opinion of it is based solely upon a cinematic featuring nice suits and sexy nun murder. Which, admittedly, tilts my opinion in its favor.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:17:48 pm by King DZA »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:20:56 pm »

Oh my god guys, a video game is blending sexuality and violence in a disconcerting way.

Tycho puts it better than I can:

Quote from: A Goddamn Wordsmith
But being mad at it is apparently a thing, a compulsory thing.  Except I don’t do compulsory, and I also don’t do infantilizing chivalry.  So I don’t do well at these kinds of parties.

As for the game itself, it's a trailer.  It's there to drum up interest, not to show you exactly what the game is going to be.  Did everyone think Dead Island's trailer was repre-- wait, no, there was a ruckus about that too wasn't there
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:23:36 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:35:18 pm »

Hitman was always to me about cold professionalism and the lack of morality someone like Agent 47 needs to do his job. It was a dark series sometimes with a satrical or dark humour surrounding current events. 

Hitman always had sexual content, that's true. It was however done for the most part tastefully and complemented the themes. There were quite a few "femme fatales" that attempted to lead Agent 47 to his doom, but they managed to do it without having six leather clad nuns. 
The Heaven and Hell party is often bought up. It was a custome party in the style of "sexy customes" like those of Halloween. This is a perfectly justifiable and logical reason for the customes and I don't see why that's bought up at all.

The trailer had nothing to do with the rest of the series. Agent 47 is some kind of hype badarse super killer, instead of the silent calculating killer. The nuns and their customes make no logical sense. They weren't trying to seduce 47, they were blowing up a fucking building. 

The trailer could have been easily handled without the offensive bullshit something like this. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There, we now have a trailer that shows the gameplay style. The type of person Agent 47 is. The threat of the Saints and powerful they are as an assassin group. All without leather-clad violence errotica.

I don't care if it's a trailer or not. It's the same thing as that stupid Dead Space 2 YOUR MOTHER WILL HATE THIS shit that makes me annoyed I'm the targetted auidence.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »

Well sure the uniform is ridiculous and inefficient, but maybe that's what they chose. People in groups/factions/gangs make all sorts of silly choices in uniforms just to standout/label their group as their group but I don't see anything wrong with that. They made poor choices from your view then, I don't see how it can't be labeled like that, that they themselves chose that idea, and why it has to be a game developer's idea, even though technically yes, it's the developers idea.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:11:54 pm by Vherid »

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »

I LIKED IT BCUZ TEH NUNS WER SECKSY BUT Y HE KIL DEM INSTEAD OF KISS DEM???

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:12:31 pm »

Eh, looking at what we have of actual gameplay footage, the trailer doesn't appear to really reflect the game. Besides, I seem to recall earlier Hitman trailers doing the same sort of thing, though I could be mistaken.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:20:20 pm »

It's always had that blend of religious imagery with graphic violence (Maybe not in the first game, but Silent Assassin was where the series really got going), which always struck me as kind of campy.  I never took the story all that seriously.
Shoes...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 06:24:55 pm »

Eh, looking at what we have of actual gameplay footage, the trailer doesn't appear to really reflect the game. Besides, I seem to recall earlier Hitman trailers doing the same sort of thing, though I could be mistaken.

Yep, Hitman adverts have always been a tad bit more shooty and explody than your actual sneaky gameplay. While I have my reservations based on the trailer, I see no reason to start raging and flaming based on the trailer alone. I'll get started on that if I see some gameplay footage showing it to be nothing more than a 1st/3rd person shooter with minor stealth elements.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 06:45:05 pm »

So far, it doesn't look like that.

Here is some footage. There was also a video of footage/interview up on Kotaku, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 07:03:23 pm »

First off watch this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_jhw5TuxA&feature=related (NSW)

Lol.  My guess is he assassinated the pope.  Only explanation of gun-nuns I can think of.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:03:24 pm »

I approve of sexy latex clad nuns on an aesthetic level. I understand that violates some peoples sense of immersion and practicality though. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't slightly cringe on the inside.

I'll say what I say about every trailer ever made. They are pure fiction made to get a target audience to purchase their product and to generate publicity. Ignore them and move on. Don't get excited or disappointed by them. Even if they show actual gameplay.

Latex clad nuns assassins/mercenaries are a pretty polarizing image to put in a trailer. They probably want people to get upset, because they'll bring up the trailer to other people, who might not be so upset and secretly/openly become interested in the game. Generating Publicity and Sales. So if you really don't like that trailer or what it might forebode, the best thing you could do is not talk about it. And wait for a demo and/or reviews to confirm/assuage your forebodings.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 09:27:44 pm »

Hey, people? Hitman has always included sexual themes. There was the prostitute in the first game (though 47 didn't seem interested), there was the Meat King's party from a different game, and at least two, female, scantily-clad enemy assassins in Blood Money. Not to mention all the people walking around in bikinis at Mardi Gras and stuff.

Also take note of how, aside from their appearance, there was nothing sexy about the nuns, nor did 47 show any sort of attraction to them. Unless you're turned on by broken noses and bullet-riddled human shields, in which case you have an entirely different problem. He killed them without a hint of mercy, and they did their best to kill him as well.

Finally, as some other people have mentioned, the trailer does not seem indicative of any of the gameplay we've seen so far. He may have been slightly more agile in the Chicago level, but that can be excused by improvements in technology and it was hardly on the level of Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell. I think people are panicking and condemning this game over essentially nothing, which I had hoped this community didn't take part in.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3