Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Custom Civ Caravans?  (Read 1783 times)

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
Custom Civ Caravans?
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:28:00 pm »

First, how do you make a custom civilization have a caravan? Second, you know how elves get offended when you sell them wood? Can you make custom civs have things that offend them, such as a race of stone golems that get offended when you sell them stone things?
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Custom Civ Caravans?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:34:13 pm »

Offended from stones no, but their ethics decide that. so "[ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:APPALLING] --- don't hurt the fluffy bunnies!!" -- quoted from Project Clockwerks automation entity

Anything that is an animal by-product/part offends them. calling you barbarians and leaving.

unless you make every stone in that game counts as [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL] then you could have them be appalled by stone. But if you wanted a race of animal activists they would be appalled by stone aswell

donno if adding [STRUCTURAL_PLANT_MAT] will make them be offended if they finding killing plants appalling. Or you can add [WOOD]... but that might cause more issues.. donno I feel like testing this. or at least jot it down in my "!!SCIENCE!! to do list"

Caravans, you need them to be:
1. friendly
2. [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
3. [ACTIVE_SEASON:<season>]
4.    [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:36:49 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:56:36 pm »

[WOOD] is the token that causes entities to be offended if they are opposed to killing plants, though it also allows the material to be used by carpenters.

Also just a note here, but it doesn't need to be [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1], any [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_XX:X] will function equally well for purposes of trading.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:05:27 pm »

True

as for [WOOD] I acaully have no idea how much damage it could do. Because does a carpenters workshop only take WOOD item ids aka "logs" or else every door and chest would be grabbed again. Unless that workshop takes any raw material

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:15:05 pm »

I believe the material needs to be in "log" form to be used by a carpenter's workshop. It would allow most things made of that material to be stored in wood stockpiles though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:17:57 pm »

Which would be weird to see boulders get hauled there
and then again mayve not, since Wood stockpiles only hold Logs

EDIT:
I see more clearly now you mean things that fall into "wood" categories like a gabbro door would be put in a "wood door" only stockpile.

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:55:21 am »

So what do elves have in their ethics that makes them appalled at wood stuff? I'd check myself, but eight now I'm actually posting from my 3DS, so no dorfs. Also, can you make them, say, LOVE animal products or something?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:22:38 am »

[ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE]

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:27:45 am »

I see. What if you made it [ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:PUNISH_CAPITAL]? Would they punish your dwarves or something?

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 09:38:51 am »

Caravans, you need them to be:
1. friendly
2. [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
3. [ACTIVE_SEASON:<season>]
4.    [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET]

alternatively,
   [USE_ANY_PET_RACE]

works if you add the following to a few of the wild (non domestic) animals.

[PACK_ANIMAL][WAGON_PULLER]
   [TRADE_CAPACITY:2000]

I set up a race of sun dwarves that live in the taiga biome, they use the any pet race token to gather animals from their surroundings. On occasion they fail to get a pack animal and then don't have trading capability, or they fail to get one of the various wool bearing creatures I've added and then don't get yarn.

Sometimes they miss the frost spiders and don't get silk.

I like the any pet race token because it tends to generate a more random starting creature domestication list.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:46:10 am by medikohl »
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 09:43:08 am »

I see. What if you made it [ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:PUNISH_CAPITAL]? Would they punish your dwarves or something?
no because your race is not their race. They might goto war with you after a bit, but that will probally be it.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 01:12:11 pm »

Can someone explain exactly what the levels mean for production and trade?  Population is spelled out in the wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Entity_token but for the rest it just says 0 through 5 without any numbers, like how many hundreds of thousands of Urists worth of exported/produced goods are required.

I say this because I have a custom civ with
Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]
and I haven't seen hide nor hair of them despite everything appearing to be correct and the civ functioning properly in worldgen and legends (and my dwarves have even made carvings of legendary civ members founding things, traveling, getting fourth-toes-right-foot torn off during battles, etc).  It's been about 10 years and I have a barony, ~180 dwarves, and a couple million Urists worth of stuff produced.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »

Entity raws please? also it could be that they may have been wiped out during worldgen. Maybe post the creature as well.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 02:17:11 pm »

Entity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's the High Elves from the Warhammer mod, with a few minor changes.
I'm only pretty sure they weren't wiped out in worldgen.  I'd dig through legends, but my first generation of War Mastodons is almost mature...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 02:25:20 pm »

gen a few small-med worlds real quick and check there. If anything copy your current Save then in the copied version, abandon so you can view legends. Leaving your current save in tack.

I didn't see any issues in my quick go through. Altho the mages have alot of spells being applied by creature variaitions, which slightly confuses me.
Pages: [1] 2