Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Does anyone play DnD?  (Read 6267 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does anyone play DnD?
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:16:20 am »

I think it would be awesome (and rather silly :p) if DF players could roll a few dice every once in a while.
We could play online. If you might be interested, just post or whatever.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone play DnD?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:19:15 am »

I play dungeons and dragons. I also try to DM but my inexperience and procrastination tends to be a damper (but I love to do it soo much!).

I was checking out the pathfinding rules not to long ago and from what I found out. There are some things Pathfinder does better then 3.5 and then there are some things it does MUUUUCH worse (For example. Templates are vastly underpowered)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:25:07 am »

I play dungeons and dragons. I also try to DM but my inexperience and procrastination tends to be a damper (but I love to do it soo much!).

I was checking out the pathfinding rules not to long ago and from what I found out. There are some things Pathfinder does better then 3.5 and then there are some things it does MUUUUCH worse (For example. Templates are vastly underpowered)

I don't know how to pathfinder. I know 3.5 and 4.0. D:
Also, I could probably DM if I had something to go by. Online, I can just look up or download an adventure, instead of writing shitty one shots like in RL
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:30:21 am by UristMcDwarf »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:29:45 am »

There's usually at least one ongoing game of D&D in the Forum Games & Roleplaying section. If you want to start another game, that'd be cool.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 02:31:32 am »

There's usually at least one ongoing game of D&D in the Forum Games & Roleplaying section. If you want to start another game, that'd be cool.

See, that's the thing. I hate playing DnD post by post, as I have a hard time imagining who's who and what's where without a representation. (e.g, a mat and miniatures.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:32:34 am »

See, that's the thing. I hate playing DnD post by post, as I have a hard time imagining who's who and what's where without a representation. (e.g, a mat and miniatures.)

I have to agree...

Playing in real life is slow
Playing Online is even slower then that
Playing by post is so insanely slow I don't know how anyone tollerates it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:32:46 am »

No, the threads are just for organization and such. They usually play online using MapTools or something similar  ;)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:56 am »

No, the threads are just for organization and such. They usually play online using MapTools or something similar  ;)

Oh okay okay, because,
IF THE DM DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON
YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD GAME

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:00:01 pm »

Haven't played D&D for... three months. Group broke up.

I ran OD&D.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 11:16:38 pm »

Haven't played D&D for... three months. Group broke up.

What? Why did that happen?

I ran OD&D.

Oh, okay.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 12:02:16 am »

I used to. Although I was more a Rifts and Star Wars D6 kinda guy. I just like my technology.

Kinda a moot point, I haven't had a gaming group in something like 8 years.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 12:18:34 am »

I prefer the freeform tabletop games, myself. Normal D&D feels more like a wargame than a roleplaying game.

If the DM rolls dies for any other reason than A) any possibility being an interesting one to take the game in, or B) the nice sound the dice make, then it's likely not a game I'll be that interested in. Shaggy dog stories should never, ever happen in roleplaying games, barring sadistic DMs.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 12:59:49 am »

I prefer the freeform tabletop games, myself. Normal D&D feels more like a wargame than a roleplaying game.
That's because it is essentially a wargame. It was created in the wargaming community, by wargamers, for wargamers, as a different kind of game.
Before D&D there wasn't anything like it around, Dave Arneson, and Gary Gygax invented the genre.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 01:04:11 am »

Pretty much every week, although we also go in for WoD, GURPS, and Unknown Armies every now and again. I'm a big fan of dice and character sheets as arbiters of verisimilitude, if not realism, so I like some of those systems more than others.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 01:27:10 am »

If the DM rolls dies for any other reason than A) any possibility being an interesting one to take the game in, or B) the nice sound the dice make, then it's likely not a game I'll be that interested in. Shaggy dog stories should never, ever happen in roleplaying games, barring sadistic DMs.

All the best DMs are sadists, though. I know when I was running games, I would sometimes roll dice for no reason other than to make my players worry. The thief would start checking for traps on everything, the cleric would confirm that I know they had their usual healing spells prepared, the fighter, well, the fighter wouldn't care, there's a reason why you play fighters after all.

My real regret is no one wanted to run games but me, so I never really got to play my dwarven monk, Fisto'fury Hammersmith. I was gonna prestige class to drunken master. It would have been even better than the founder of my Hammersmith clan, Axeblade Hammersmith, who managed to triple nat 20 with the dagger I grabbed from my captor, killing him outright. Until they kept playing when my buddy and I went on a cigarette break and came back to being informed that the idiots woke a dragon up and got the party eaten. Last time I played with them.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.
Pages: [1] 2 3