Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How about making a Dwarf Fortress trailer?  (Read 2183 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
How about making a Dwarf Fortress trailer?
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:17:55 am »

First of all, "Giant Hello charges at Bay 12 Forums, piercing the Dwarf Fortress and bruising the DF General Discussion!"
In other words, hello everyone!

I've been following the game for...Well, not a long, but I heard of it before as being "the game that inspired Minecraft" and the "super-hard-to-learn game" sort of thing...
I have yet to come to a success known as Urist McFisher being eaten by a Carp, but I'm getting here.

To the point!

The game itself, as we all know, is helluva of fun and Fun, and for sure will grab any hardcore gamers out there, but it lacks one thing that would enlarge its community even further:
A trailer.

A good trailer would, in my opinion, raise the game's already big attention, especially if...
"The footage is not representative of actual gameplay."

Think the opening...Scene.

Suggestions? Anything?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How about making a Dwarf Fortress trailer?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:36:34 am »

Your freshness is blinding in its magnitude.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:55:42 am »

Suddenly, I don't know to take it as an insult or compliment...
Damn my barely-any-fluent English speaking, writing and understanding skills.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:03:55 pm »

Suddenly, I don't know to take it as an insult or compliment...
Damn my barely-any-fluent English speaking, writing and understanding skills.
I really doubt that was a compliment.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »

So then, damn me and my damn ideas...
7_7

At least, no longer a lurker.
I think...

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:19:30 pm »

To answer this thread seriously, making a visual trailer for a game that has no graphical interface doesn't really make sense.

And it would be impossible to have an interview/spoken introduction style trailer and keep it concise, due to the immense amount of information that would need to be conveyed.

In other words, it isn't going to happen, and if it does, it would most likely not turn out very well.

Despite that, welcome to the forums, former lurker! :)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:14:04 pm »

Welcome!

I think Mrhappyface's comment was in reference to that old, big thread that popps up from time to time about a DF trailer.

It's the general idea of making an add that doesn't have representative graphics is not a bad or a new one.  See Olifurnace/Tim Denee's other work, which I suspect is responsible for introducing a fair number of people to DF and fostering even greater interest in those familiar with it.

The problem with a trailer is ultimately one of magnitude and follow through.  The other thread I meantioned earlier failed (repeatedly) not because of a lack of ideas, but because it was too grand for one person to do alone and too disorganized for a group to actually accomplish.

That said, if you're committed to the idea and interested in inspiration, I recommend you track that thread down and give it a read.  It'll probably be good not only for fresh ideas, but also as a way not to organize a project.
At last, she is done.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 05:05:46 pm »

Umm, there are several fanvideos that work pretty well as trailers.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

axeman157

• Bay Watcher
  • ...And my Mi-Go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »

Let me try to write a quick script.

The camera glides over a fortress built from marble, the fortress is built inside of a mountain. The camera moves in slowly.
The camera is moving through narrow, twisty halls adorned with masterful engravings.
The camera slows by some of the engravings, some of the engravings are of heroes, random things, and horrid forgotten beasts
the camera stops sideways near Urist McMayor and a uppity elf discussing their trade agreements. The room is smoothed out, and also made of marble.

Urist McMayor: I'm glad you are enjoying my fine mountainhome, now on to the agreement.
The Elf: True, it is a mildly good hole you've dug yourselves here. Anyways, we are lacking armor of all kinds, the war we are waging with the humans has gone on for too long. We also need prepared food for the armies as well, can you fulfill these is due time?
Urist McMayor: I have legions cooks beneath me as we speak and I have enough iron to fit a elephant for battle. So yes, I can fill these requests in due time, Elf.
The Elf: Very well! Very well! Your other dwarves request me for trading. See you next year fine dwarf.

The Elf stands, turns and walks, Urist McMayor looks at him, chin on fist, with a sour look on his face.
Loud metallic clinging is heard down the hall, alerting Urist McMayor.
Several dwarves clad in steel armor are barging down the hall.
Urist McMayor grabs a axedwarf by the arm, he begins to talk urgently.

Urist McMayor: What in the blazes are you soldiers running too!
The Axedwarf: I barely have time to explain, one of the marksdwarfs patrolling the depths saw a monster.
Urist McMayor: A monster?! The mad engraver's dream was true! The forgotten beast of the depths has resurfaced!

Several screams accompanied with the sounds of raging fires run through the halls.
The Axedwarf breaks the grip of Urist McMayor. Urist McMayor gives chase.
Urist McDwarf stares mouth agape at the monstrosity.
The forgotten beast is blows fire into the shields of several soldiers.

The Axedwarf: Rot in the underworld you beast! He charges.

The beast smashes The Axedwarf with his tail, sending him into a wall, he loses consciousness from the pain.
The beast is winning, the ground is littered with various corpses and wreckage of destroyed workshops.
The camera is following someones feet.

Urist McMayor: You...you fool, don't go you fool! Urist McMayor starts to sprint.

Time is slowed down, things are shown in extra gory detail.
The feet of the unknown sprinter are shown jumping on a damaged table, the sprinter does a high jump.
The sun is shown between the sprinter and the forgotten beast preparing to shoot another blast of flame.
The sprinter slams his fist into the beast's head, it collapses dead.
The sun lowers down more, showing the sprinter to be a mere child.
Urist McMayor collapses in front of the child.

Urist McMayor: ...s-son...

The son rushes to his father, Urist McMayor.
The Axedwarf and several wounded soldiers rise.
Urist McMayor's son embraces him.
The risen soldiers bow down before son, chanting his name.

THE END

Not exactly my best work, but then again, this is only meant to give a good idea of what I imagine a DF trailer would look like. I Could also do the situation about the adventurer killing a bronze colossus with fluffy wamblers.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 08:14:42 pm »

This for a serious mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESNRQFEzirA&list=FLEXtT0MKex5CHYNRt9ij9kw&index=21&feature=plpp_video

Or this for a comedy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kBedai-rk&feature=related

There are many good DF videos, but nothing is better than tutorials for totally new people.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 04:50:10 am »

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS BRO!

I mean.. oh yeah guys lets all be super mean to the newcomer to the forums who has something he thinks would be neat. Animation takes forever, we're to cool to need those barbarians who like to watch videos, i liked fortresses when they were still underground, whatever whatever whatever blah blah blah blah blah negativity. lol jk

BRIEF OUTLINE:

The opening scene should be a happy fortress, dwarves bustling through the gate. Elves arrive. The dwarves eye them suspiciously. A lever is pulled.

From here, we should proceed slowly but surely to tantrum spiral. It'll be like that game where everybody puts in one sentence of a story, or something!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 09:05:20 am »

Can it be a live action trailer with wubwub?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 09:49:16 am »

Nah, sorry for being callous. Spending too much time on /v/ does that too you. (/v/ hates newfags, especially in summer)
OT: I would think a montage of quotes, combat logs, and a gameplay/visualizer side-by-side would be appropriate for now.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 06:56:25 pm »

Done.

[Is it weird that this was the only good-quality version of this video I could find on the internet (without someone uploading it while using a tileset, making it all ugly) ?]
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »

The thing about DF is that it doesn't really suffer from lack of exposure. Plenty of people know about it.

The problem is that the majority of the people who do try it don't have the patience to play it. They go on and tell people that it's stupid/bad/doesn't work and so on, so fort8)

Without trying to sound annoying or anything, I've got to say that the world is ruled by CoDites. If a game doesn't have;

1: guns
2: explosions
3: multilayer connectivity
4: microphones to scream at people online while shooting guns to make explosions

then the game is 'fake and gay' as RWJ would put it. :D

Besides, we like the smallish community. It means we can have internal memes, stories and general awesomeness that other people wouldn't get, all without seeming like hipsters.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: [1] 2