Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Humble Bundle V - Moar Games!  (Read 12769 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Bundle V - Moar Games!
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2012, 08:34:18 am »

Shut your stupid mouth. Or, in this case, cease your moronic typings.

Request denied.

I don't care.

It's a good thing nobody's forcing you to read my posts, then, isn't it? Just like I didn't read the rest of yours.
Case proved. Actually, double case proved, as I said you probably never shut up (a fact that was easily discernible from your demeanor, as well as your inability to actually shut up [I'm also guessing that you're the annoying kid, but you might also be the sad, lonely kid that pretends to be the annoying kid on the internets]) and you're really just an ignorant kid, though this last one was more of a subtle context.

See, this thread (a collection of posts) is about Humble Bundle. Therefore, if you're not going to stay on topic, then get out. That's why they're labelled.

So, a civilized discussion would go something like this:
"While I personally believe the charity of choice to be one of lesser cause, I do find this bundle to be amazing."

I may reply like this:
"I find that charitable causes tend to take a lot of effort, so I do approve of this charity, even if the cause is slightly less noble than world peace."

And you may see how it gradually evolves into a highly intelligent discussion. Or you might not. I don't know or like you enough to care what you think.

I know what you might be thinking, but there actually IS a difference between how to say things. One doesn't make you sound like a douchebag. One isn't antagonizing people for no reason.

If you want to argue about the charity, you create a new thread about the charity. Go do it. Right now. Go. Shoo. Seriously. Go. Go save those comatose, terminal cancer patient in Polynesia. They're just getting more terminal the longer you wait.

Just leave this thread alone.

On an unrelated note, I was just convinced to donate all of my future donations to HIB as charity.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2012, 08:42:52 am »

your intervened in a heated argument that was actually, although marginally, on topic, in the least advisable manner; by flaming the people you disagree with. stop that, if you want to stop the discussion, suggest or demand that it ceases, don't resort to name calling

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2012, 08:56:16 am »

Personally, I'd rather put money into a charity closer to home as i'm a fond believer of "a Civilization is measured on how they treat their poor." This is ironic because we have far more charities helping foreign soil than our own while some of you may disagree with it, I would rather not have you type-screaming at me while you have a box of tissues at your side. To be honest the only forum I am still a member of is this very forum because I like the community and hope I don't witness the COD community become better than ours.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2012, 09:03:18 am »

there's the fact that HIB is an international business, so closest to home means a lot of different things to different people. how ironic is it that people in third world countries are giving money to help first world children have fun while they convalesce, while people in their countries are dying of trivial conditions simply for the lack of hospitals and medicine?
it's certainly a worthier cause than spending money on games while people starve to death, but it kinda makes you think...

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2012, 09:06:51 am »

there's the fact that HIB is an international business, so closest to home means a lot of different things to different people. how ironic is it that people in third world countries are giving money to help first world children have fun while they convalesce, while people in their countries are dying of trivial conditions simply for the lack of hospitals and medicine?
it's certainly a worthier cause than spending money on games while people starve to death, but it kinda makes you think...

I know the phrase is very paradox, but if the members of the third-world countries were helping themselves rather than others, they might be better off. I'd also like to state that I didn't mean this charity in particular, I'm sorry if you took it that way.
Side note that isn't meant to be taken seriously: Were on Earth, the third planet from the sun, we are in turn all third-world countries.

EDIT: Thought up the perfect example of what I mean!: I'd rather help starving children in my country, than starving children across the world because we owe it to members of our own peoples well-being.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:09:55 am by Tyler6498 »
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2012, 09:18:24 am »

the "members of the third world" are individuals as much as the first worlders, with no more nor less intention to help themselves and each other, other than the fact that more of them don't have enough for themselves let alone to give to charity. they're not in that situation because of their own fault, nor their fathers, nor their ancestors. blaming their situation on your own ancestors would still be very unfair, but somewhat more accurate.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2012, 09:19:49 am »

Yeah, right. Try that again when you're an admin or a moderator, then it might actually make me do something else than just chortle.

I don't know or like you enough to care what you think.

I assure you the feeling is mutual.

I'd rather put money into a charity closer to home as i'm a fond believer of "a Civilization is measured on how they treat their poor."

That's just the thing. What makes people in other countries not members of our civilization and thereby unworthy of our help? A line on a map? That's something I just don't understand. If you want to help people, then surely you want to help those who need it the most, right?
Hypothetical scenario: There's an old woman struggling to carry her heavy bag full of groceries right beside you and a guy bleeding to death fifty meters down the road. Whom do you help?
Real scenario: There's a kid who's bored during his hospital stay because he has no videogames to play in your country and a kid dying of hunger a few thousand kilometers away. Whom do you help?
Personally I don't really see any difference between the two scenarios. To me the answer to both is clearly the latter one, the one who needs help the most.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:14:01 am by Sordid »

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2012, 09:43:34 am »

Yeah, right. Try that again when you're an admin or a moderator, then it might actually make me do something else than just chortle.

First off Sordid, I didn't even type that quote you put in your message and feel that you just have no true reason for fabricating a quote other than to argue amongst yourself while letting others look bad. As such I'm not going to argue with you about such a touchy subject since you won't treat me with the same respect I'm treating you. Once you mature up, we'll talk.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2012, 09:46:46 am »

actually, he just screwed up his quotes. webadict said that

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2012, 10:00:22 am »

I'd rather put money into a charity closer to home as i'm a fond believer of "a Civilization is measured on how they treat their poor."

That's just the thing. What makes people in other countries not members of our civilization and thereby unworthy of our help? A line on a map? That's something I just don't understand. If you want to help people, then surely you want to help those who need it the most, right?
Hypothetical scenario: There's an old woman struggling to carry her heavy bag full of groceries right beside you and a guy bleeding to death fifty meters down the road. Whom do you help?
Real scenario: There's a kid who's bored during his hospital stay because he has no videogames to play in your country and a kid dying of hunger a few thousand kilometers away. Whom do you help?
Personally I don't really see any difference between the two scenarios. To me the answer to both is clearly the latter one, the one who needs help the most.
Since it was probably just an accidental mistake I'm willing to forgive and forget.
Now if you were to check my post a bit more thoroughly you'd notice that I wasn't using the quote on a situation like the one your pressing, I said it applied to people of the same situation, one in my country, and one in a further away country. Since their is almost always a charity for both I'd choose the one within my borders.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2012, 10:14:49 am »

Cultural identities are not geographically located, though they tend to be. The point is that the best way to help others may be to help yourself. If you're too busy worrying about others, then who will be worrying about you?

There is no "needs it most." That's the thing. Who needs anything more than anyone else? If you needed it, then you require it to continue functioning. So, you cannot need it unless it was needed most anyhow.

Let's say this situation: You have a choice to make. You can post things on the internet in hopes that it makes a point or you can go out and assist with a charity. Which do you choose?

To your real scenario, there is a point. The sad fact is that giving food to a starving kid won't necessarily make their lives better. Unfortunate as it may be, they will more than likely starve to death later. So, your situation has now become continuously helping the child. Now, also assume that there are several costs that come with giving this particular child food. Depending on where this child lives, he may not even receive the food you wanted to give him. Hey, maybe it all gets seized, maybe it doesn't.

Local charities have the benefit of knowing the area they are caring for, and therefore higher probabilities of actually doing something.

So, the hypothetical situation is unfortunately this: Call 911. You can't help the bleeding guy unless you go all the way over there. And you might not even be able to help him even if you do. In fact, you might just end up killing him. But that old lady? You know for certain you can help her.

The whole point of all of this is that your money in this bundle? That isn't going to stop world hunger. Money cannot solve that problem. Hard work? That could do a dent. More of a dent than anything you paid for will have.

There's a story I know of. There's this company my friend's family owns. They are located in a third-world country. They pay relatively low wages to the workers compared to us. Seems bad, right? They should be paid at least minimum wage? Well, let's say that you suddenly won the lottery. Unless you know what to do with that money, you will eventually bankrupt yourself, usually within 4 years. So, that's how it would probably work for them. Except more people would die or have their lives ruined. So, you know what they do? Those extra wages they don't pay goes for education for their children, because they won't get a decent one where they lived before. It goes for a private doctor's office for them, because they don't know anything about medicine and a local one can take advantage of them. It goes for stable housing and fresh food and security. The reason all of this works out is because it's local. My friend's family lives there. People hang outside the company and protest about low wages, but high wages doesn't fix things. And giving food to them doesn't fix that either. They provide an entire environment. They fix the problem: these children tend to grow up and get a college education. They move up. That's the difference. Giving them food would have done nothing, because the children would still be stuck in those conditions.

Does it make this charity a more noble cause? No. But don't assume that international aid will make results, just because you think they need it more. Because you DON'T know what they need. But these children in a hospital? Tell me that it doesn't make them happy. Tell me that hospitals are not scary to some children. Tell me that these children sit there, perfectly content, because they know that a child somewhere is starving, and they're not. If you think there's a better way to solve it (I've got a good one: bring a book and read to them. I'm not even kidding. That will make their freakin' day. Kids love books read to them. Just ask their parents if it's okay.), then do it. But, local help is the best help. That's all there is to say.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2012, 10:23:17 am »

Since it was probably just an accidental mistake I'm willing to forgive and forget.

Yeah, I screwed that quote up. Sorry about that. Fixed now.

Now if you were to check my post a bit more thoroughly you'd notice that I wasn't using the quote on a situation like the one your pressing, I said it applied to people of the same situation, one in my country, and one in a further away country. Since their is almost always a charity for both I'd choose the one within my borders.

Actually you didn't make that point in the post I quoted but in an edit to the subsequent one.

I'd rather help starving children in my country, than starving children across the world because we owe it to members of our own peoples well-being.

Fair enough, but how many starving people does your country have? I don't know where you live, but I don't see many of these in the streets around here.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2012, 10:47:34 am »

I'd rather help starving children in my country, than starving children across the world because we owe it to members of our own peoples well-being.

Fair enough, but how many starving people does your country have? I don't know where you live, but I don't see many of these in the streets around here.
That's because we help them.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2012, 12:58:53 pm »

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2012, 03:31:15 pm »

Seriously guys let's not make the whole thread about charties and wether you think their work is meaningless. I like Child's Play and I think they do some fanastic work. I also believe that Africa is never going to develop unless the rest of the world defaults on their debts, no matter how much money you think you're giving to starving children.

On a different note, massive spoilers about Bastion's ending because I want to talk about it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10