Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Possible werecritter  (Read 1746 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Possible werecritter
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:37:53 am »

So, I just started on the new version (34.10). Got my fortress up and running and am now in the second year.

I got a 26 population migration wave, and one of them had brilliant combat skills. I nicknamed him my usual military rank for the squad leaders, and waited until the wave came on the map.

Searching through my ingame list, I couldn't find him. Obviously, I thought he was a vampire. I eventually found his 'real' name in my unit list and checked him out. Strangely, he only has four previous group affiliations, two of which he's still a member of, and has no kills and his only relations are dorfs in my fortress, with a total lack of family. However, his name is repeated twice as though it was also his nickname, which is why I couldn't find his military rank in my list. This leads me to suspect he may be a werecreature, possibly one that uses whips due to his high lasher skill.

What are your thoughts? Do I have a dwarf with great military prowess, or do I have a murderous beast on my hands that could emerge at any time and slaughter everyone in a matter of seconds?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Possible werecritter
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:46:24 am »

any chance you have abandoned a fort on the same world?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 12:12:54 pm »

Nope, brand spankin' new world, fresh out of Armoks forge.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.

"You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:37:56 am »

I might be wrong about this, but don't werecritters arrive with a message box popup like titans and FBs? Can they sneak into your fort like vamps?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:30:12 am »

Werecritters immediately lose their civ affiliation and flee to a den in worldgen. You won't get werecritter migrants.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:15:15 pm »

To make matters short: Enjoy your dwarfish killing maschine..... now the gobbos will know why they fear the night :)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 01:47:04 pm »

He might still be a vampire, until you see him eat, drink or sleep (or gain thoughts from doing so) you'd better keep an eye on him.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 05:40:15 pm »

He might still be a vampire, until you see him eat, drink or sleep (or gain thoughts from doing so) you'd better keep an eye on him.

That's the strange thing about this fort. I've had several bodies drained of blood, which indicates a vampire, but every member of my fortress passed the Therapist and starvation and dehydration tests. Unless the vampire happened to be drinking blood at the same time everyone else was drinking water (and it showed up as drinking), then I have no clue how to find this guy.

Any tips on more rigorous de-vampification techniques?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:58:29 pm »

Remove all personalized bedrooms, instead using a large dormitory for everyone. Set it as a statue garden as well. The next time someone's drained of blood, you should have a witness.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:43:53 pm »

The next time someone's drained of blood, you should have a witness.

Both of the corpses found were in the corner of my barracks, which is never empty at any time. In fact, my militia squad was sparring and several dwarves were sleeping around the area the drained dwarves were discovered.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 06:47:11 pm »

You don't have any ghosts, do you? I think I remember reading about a ghost that could still suck blood.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »

Guys you're all missing the obvious, he could be a very recently cursed vampire. Rare, but it happens, and is a real pain to see when it does.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 07:29:24 pm »

You don't have any ghosts, do you? I think I remember reading about a ghost that could still suck blood.

I have a few corpses sitting outside my gates... minor mishap with a wolverine and a berserk herbalist. I'll get to work on the catacombs ASAP.

Guys you're all missing the obvious, he could be a very recently cursed vampire. Rare, but it happens, and is a real pain to see when it does.

Do newly cursed vampires still need to eat and drink?

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 09:20:57 am »

Can you post a save?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 09:34:37 am »

Two questions for you,

Year?
Thrips?

Only ask about Thrips, because I had a Giant Thrip suck dry a hunter and his dog.  They suck blood, too.  But if those drained fellas you mentioned were in the center of your fortress, near the meeting area, that prolly isn't it.  Most likely a vampire.  And like was mentioned a recently cursed one, or one cursed while game was progressing, could be difficult to ID, outside CSI:Armok.

@the secondary names on your uber migrant.  I have a four word migrant in my 3rd wave of 20 something, too.  Might not be all the rare, nowadays in this patch.  I'll look up his specs.  He had nice military skills also.  He's my commander.  Tho, I know immediately if I get a vampire, this world has vamps off, so I get a pile of trinkets on the edge of map when one would have arrived..  I'll look and see if I got one for this four word migrant. 

And then it could be he's a lil more experienced than the rest.  Does your four word migrant have Tracker?  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: [1] 2