Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: Zombie thread: Mah zambah barg bra!nz haarh.  (Read 57300 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie in Miami, Florida or: zombie survival thread
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 11:40:54 pm »

The old standby involving retreat to a land of permafrost, with heavily armed raids to the warmer climates until the zombie plague burns itself out (once said raids are feasible), is always a good one. After all, zombies have no body heat. Get to a few tens of degrees below 0 and they'll freeze solid. Try shambling now!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:13 pm »

Oh, another important thing to remember.  There's like a 99% chance even if zombies hit that you'll never get your plan in action.  If a quarter of the people who thought they could survive a zombie apocalypse actually did it wouldn't be an apocalypse.
Shoes...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 11:46:14 pm »

I remember hearing that renting/buying/stealing a zepplin would be an excellent idea, provided there are still any in existence. They're essentially flying fortresses, and zombies would have an extreme amount of difficulty trying to get to you while you casually drift across the sky. Just load one up with enough fuel and supplies to last a trek, and party between traveling destinations.

We can always try to modify them to have hangars on their bottomside, and cannons along the sides, and become air pirates ala Crimson Skies as well.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, A zepplin would only become a bad idea if the government or high-class bigwigs love your idea so much, either they'll try to snag it from you, or shoot you out of the sky. We need to become a legion of Sky Pirates. Whose with me? We need a title, a logo and a slogan.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:54:27 pm by Itnetlolor »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 11:48:23 pm »

Well, make sure you keep that envelope in top condition, and stock some extra helium &/or hydrogen - You don't want a leak. that would be bad.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »

Oh, another important thing to remember.  There's like a 99% chance even if zombies hit that you'll never get your plan in action.  If a quarter of the people who thought they could survive a zombie apocalypse actually did it wouldn't be an apocalypse.
Your statistic is probably true, but for different reasons.

Humanity would utterly crush a zombie outbreak because of how much we think about it. It wouldn't even get off the ground.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 11:52:39 pm »

Humanity would utterly crush a zombie outbreak because of how much we think about it. It wouldn't even get off the ground.
We have plenty of resources and people who think about this, but the number of zeds will increase according to the amount of cynics and genre blind people exist; not to mention the helpless, even if they were aware, but couldn't prepare because of outside reasons (lacking funds, too old, etc.).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »

I don't know whether that makes me happy or disappointed. Little of both, maybe :P

I live in the suburbs in a single-story home. If zombies attack here, I'm probably screwed unless some kind Bay Watchers come and help me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 11:53:43 pm »

Man, I hope the Blizzard servers survive the zombie apocalypse. I'll be super upset about Diablo 3 if they don't.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 11:56:12 pm »

Every one of my family members has at least one gun in their house somewhere. Gather the family, weapons, ammo and food and then take a boat to one of the mysterious towers in the middle of the Mississippi River.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 11:56:31 pm »

I don't know whether that makes me happy or disappointed. Little of both, maybe :P

I live in the suburbs in a single-story home. If zombies attack here, I'm probably screwed unless some kind Bay Watchers come and help me.
*the sound of many loud propellers fills the sky, followed with a few planes buzzing overhead and a zepplin on the horizon*

You rang?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:58:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2012, 11:57:41 pm »

Also, a zombie plague isn't like an influenza outbreak or anything. The people it has spread to are very obvious, and you can shoot them without moral repercussion because they're walking corpses by that point. Those two factors significantly limit the ability of a zombie plague to spread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2012, 11:59:29 pm »

Huzzah! I'm saved!

@ MSH: Hush, you. Half the fun in discussing zombies is assuming that the apocalypse does occur and that you survive it :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2012, 12:09:36 am »

So... on the topic of Sky Pirates using dirigibles : adding hangars for various aircraft for strikes and raids might be feasible, but wouldn't the size of the envelope need to be increased dramatically for that to be reasonably possible?

I think it would be interesting to be able to use a dirigible as a flying fortress. Maybe waiting until general governmental collapse to become airborne would be prudent if they (government entities) might decide to shoot it down.

It would make me sad if the Zombpocolypse comes around and it becomes squashed before I can put my traps to use. Though, if it got to the point that my traps came out of mothballs and started to be used it would probably be a highly escalated event and not something that my traps could easily control. Very much a conundrum...

Every one of my family members has at least one gun in their house somewhere. Gather the family, weapons, ammo and food and then take a boat to one of the mysterious towers in the middle of the Mississippi River.

There are mysterious towers in the middle of the Mississippi River?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:13:14 am by GalenEvil »
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 12:14:44 am »

There are mysterious towers in the middle of the Mississippi River?
Yeah. Just strange little things which tend to be far above the tide. Probably some city works thing for Saint Louis.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2012, 12:18:03 am »

This kind of zombie attack would be best: http://strolen.com/viewing/Zombie_Day
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23